PDA

View Full Version : Heated seat installation

Fman
01-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Just completed my heated seat kit installation on my '08 22V, wanted to share some pics and how I did it.

The kit was purchased from http://www.heatedseatkits.com/heatedseatkits/index.html I purchased the H3 model which is waterproof. These kits are very well setup and I like the hi/low switch that comes with it which has a green/red light indicator as well.

I heated the drivers seat bottom/backrest and the passenger seat bottom/backrest. The kit was $200 for both seats, I also paid an upholstry shop $250 to install the heater pads inside the seats. I am not an upholstry guru, so I elected to pay someone to remove the seat skins and reinstall them with the heater pads inside. I did remove the drivers seat and take it down to his shop. I pre-marked all the holes and where the wires needed to exit the seats.

After this is complete, I mounted the switches (see pics) with a 20mm drill bit and completed the install by tapping into the auxillary power outlets. There is one on the driver and passenger side which made the wiring simple. This will allow the seats to be turned on even in the battery switch is off. However, if you turn off the master breaker switch to the boat it will not allow them to be turned on.

For the passenger corner seat, it was nice to have the quick disconnects on them to allow you to easily disconnect the bottom cushion if need be for loading gear or when not using them. I mounted the passenger heater switch in the glove box, out of the way and easy to get to. I chose to mount the drivers side near the throttle handle area.

Its a pretty simple install, heated seats makes a very nice and easy connection setup and even has an in-line fuse which is nice. I have tested them in the garage and yes, they warm up quite nicely! this will be great for the early morning runs, early spring and late fall skiing. Also a great incentive to get your wife out on the water earlier in the season!

One other recommendation would be to order the 20mm drill bit for $10, you wont be able to find one at any hardware store for that price. If you choose to mount your drivers switch where I located mine, be careful when drilling the hole. There are wires behind the panel, you need to put your hand behind the panel and push them out of the way to avoid damaging any of them.

If you have any questions about this install please PM me and I would be happy to help out.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Also a great incentive to get your wife out on the water earlier in the season!

You think she is gonna get outta that comfy and warm seat?? Good luck with that one! :p ;)

Love the pics and step by step!! Thanks!!

Okie Boarder
01-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Nice write up. That's a cool mod and the price isn't bad at all.

jonyb
01-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Looks good Travis... You little Calibrofornia boys oughta come over this way sometime. You'd need more than seat heaters right now. We've got 7" of snow out there right now.

Fman
01-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Looks good Travis... You little Calibrofornia boys oughta come over this way sometime. You'd need more than seat heaters right now. We've got 7" of snow out there right now.

Thanks John, yes we are pretty spoiled in California, we complain when the weather is below 40 degrees! and the water temps are under 78 degrees in the lakes!

After having heated seats in both our vehicles I thought why not put them in the boat, they really are a nice upgrade.... my wife says all I need is the big screen TV and couch and she would never see me again! Being out on the boat is definitely my "happy" place.....

jonyb
01-30-2010, 03:27 PM
I figure an overhead monitor on the Z5 is next for your boat.

dusty2221
02-09-2010, 05:15 PM
This is an awesome idea..I'm thinkin my wife would really like it....maybe I can do it to the front passenger seat as well. One question, maybe I missed it, but does your front seat not have the built in bolster option? Mine flips up, so I don't think I could put one on the driver seat cushion.

tg0824SSVGG
02-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Dusty - I have the same question about hte bolster.

Fman
02-10-2010, 03:32 PM
This is an awesome idea..I'm thinkin my wife would really like it....maybe I can do it to the front passenger seat as well. One question, maybe I missed it, but does your front seat not have the built in bolster option? Mine flips up, so I don't think I could put one on the driver seat cushion.

Yes, my seat has a bolster setup. The heating pad is not installed in the bolster section of the seat. The pad is installed in the removeable cushion on the bottom section of the seat. When sitting in the seat without the bolster down you will have heat on your bottom and backrest area.

Hopefully this clears up your question. Take a look at picture #4 it shows the bottom seat cushion removed from the seat with the heating pad wire coming out from it.

dusty2221
02-10-2010, 03:51 PM
So if I understand it correctly, it's on the back half of the seat? It seems like my seat has the front bolster portion, which is half of the seat cushion, and then the back half remains on the base. Is this the heated part? Being that I'm new to my Supra, I havent even seen if that part is removable on mine.

TayTay
02-10-2010, 08:08 PM
That part is removable. I have an '05 and what you do is unsnap the vinyl cover piece (the snaps are on the front of the seat) and then that reveals 4 (i think) screws that hold that piece on. It is just a small wedge shaped piece. Pretty easy to take off.

Fman
02-11-2010, 01:17 PM
So if I understand it correctly, it's on the back half of the seat? It seems like my seat has the front bolster portion, which is half of the seat cushion, and then the back half remains on the base. Is this the heated part? Being that I'm new to my Supra, I havent even seen if that part is removable on mine.

Dusty,

Yes, the pad is installed in the removeable section of the bottom seat and the backrest area. On my '08 the bottom cushion is held in place by velcro and lifts right off the base. With the bolster down, when sitting in the seat you will have heat on your buns and your back.

Take a look at the attached pictures, you will see the wire coming out from the bottom seat cushion and the velcro tabs on the base of the seat itself. I ran the wire from the bottom cushing through one of the slots in the base of the seat, it worked out perfectly. You will also notice in the other picture the wire coming out from the backrest area.

I would recommend if you are considering doing this to take your seat to a good uphosltry shop, there is a little more involved than just removing some staples, especially with the backrest area which is stitching.