PDA

View Full Version : Carpet saver/overlay

Fman
01-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Does anyone know of a company that will cut carpet to fit the floor layout of your boat? I want to find something to put over the existing carpet that can easily be taken out and cleaned. I also wanted to find out if anyone has purchased the snap-out carpet from SC and installed it in a pre '09 boat? I believe in '09 they started offering snap out carpet. Anyone how difficult is to remove the existing carpet?

Thanks....

thescott
01-30-2010, 02:16 AM
I remember a thread not too long ago on WW about this. I seem to remember there was a company that will send you a free kit where you cut a template, send it back, and they send you a pre-cut snap in carpet. Not sure if this is the site that was mentioned. Just the first thing I hit with a google search.

http://www.snapincarpet.com/

I've thought about this too. I feel like I'm constantly cleaning my carpet and after 2 seasons and 200 hours, it looks pretty dang worn already

Salty87
01-30-2010, 12:10 PM
corinthian marine or something like that is another company but they aren't cheap.

removing the old carpet can be a real chore.

michael hunter
01-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Having snap in carpet isn't going to save clean up time. I have both and the snap in carpet has to be removed and the sand and dirt cleaned from the deck before the carpet can be reinstalled. The only advantage I see is you can remove it if you are in muddy bottom conditions. With out the carpet in the snaps hurt when you step on them.

jonyb
01-30-2010, 01:34 PM
My baja had snap-in carpet. I always kept it pretty clean but removing the carpet was kind of a pain because it wrapped around the bolsters. There was always something getting under the carpet.

On my boat, I just line the floor with a bunch of towels. It helps contain some of the water and also catches crumbs or spills.

Fman
01-30-2010, 02:44 PM
My baja had snap-in carpet. I always kept it pretty clean but removing the carpet was kind of a pain because it wrapped around the bolsters. There was always something getting under the carpet.

On my boat, I just line the floor with a bunch of towels. It helps contain some of the water and also catches crumbs or spills.

The towels sound like a good idea, I thought it would be nice to be able quickly remove the carpet and clean it out of the boat. Almost like having runners with a rubber underlay/grips to keep it from moving around. The snap out carpet seems like a good idea, but I can see how you would accumulate dirt/sand under it. Its just a pain to clean it when its in the boat.

jonyb
01-30-2010, 02:48 PM
I think that if you did get the overlay, dirt and other stuff would get under it and mash into the carpet even worse. I don't know, 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other..... I do carry LOTS of towels and normally have the sunpad covered when parked, the rear-facing seat covered, the bench seat covered, and the long pad over the cooler/melter covered. Then have about 3 stretched out around floor. Just trying to help prolong the life of the carpet and vinyl.

87SunSportMikeyD
02-02-2010, 08:42 PM
I would love it if my boat had a plastic/fiberglass hard floor with a snap-in carpet on top of that.

But I have heard many reports of people haveing problems when they put a carpet overlay ontop of the existing carpet. Basically it never dried out and got moldy. Also like Jony said dirt gets worked through both layers. But that is just what I have heard. Also they are above $1000 I think, there is a company that makes them for Malibu. Might find them at Bakes?

Jony: "cooler/melter" rofl! In my 87 I use a soft sided cooler to drop into the hard cooler. A 20lb bag of ice lasts all day and part of the next (if left in boat overnight ie on saturdays).

jonyb
02-02-2010, 09:06 PM
I've gotten to where if there's at least 3 people going out with me on a day, I'll pack the built-in cooler. It's so long and deep that I have to use at least 8 bags of ice to get any level so the contents are "in" the ice. If it's just a short trip or me and wifey, we'll pack a smaller cooler that fits between the rear bench and the rear-facing seats.

On hotter days I keep about 3 towel's over the cooler/melter to keep the sun off of it. That seems to help.

87SunSportMikeyD
02-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Wow that is huge! Mine is filled with a 20lb bag of ice. Would love to see a pic.