PDA

View Full Version : Tinting your windows on an '08 22V

Fman
02-02-2010, 04:11 PM
I had my boat windows tinted last month and wanted to send some information out on this. After doing this, my first piece of advice, make sure you truly have a skilled window tinter that can do boat wrap around one piece windows! The Supra windows have a wicked bend and create a lot of problems for tinters. I took my windows to three different shops before I could find someone who actually could handle the job. If you live in Northern California, ACME Stereo and Upholstry in South Sacramento did an awesome job, "Ben" will take care of you.... I highly recommend them.

(1) The first thing you will need to do is remove the windows from the boat. Remove the center walk through window first. There are 4 phillips screws that hold the window onto the frame. Simply remove them and take the window off.

(2) Next you will remove the wrap around windows from the boat. This sounds like a lot of work but it is quite easy. First disconnect the support members located on either side of the walk through window. There is a slider phillips screw, simply remove it and the brace will come free. You can also loosen the bottom screw bracket if need be.

(3) Next, there is a rubber strip located at the bottom of the window frame that needs to be removed. Gently pull it out and slowly peel it away from the frame. After removing this strip this will expose the screws that hold the window/frame on the boat.

(4) Once exposed remove the screws taking care not to scratch your frames. There are a couple tricky screws, one being under the front tower mount, you will need a shortie to get this one and the other is on the back top frame, you will also need a shortie for this one. There is one other screw that has a nut on the other side of it located about 3/4 of the way towards the front, it will be the one that never loosens. If you are by yourself put a small vice grip on the backside to hold the nut and unscrew it and it will loosen up.

(5) The windows can now be removed from the boat, they are awkward to move around so be careful not to hit your gelcoat. I layed a moving blanket over the swimdeck and placed them on there to make taking them out of the boat easier.

Now you can take the windows to the tinter, I chose 35% because I do a lot of early morning and late evening skiing and the 20% makes it a little tough to see. Either way its a matter of preference. They used Llumar tint on the windows and did it with one piece, no light gaps, fingers or bubbles. The shop also removed the frames from the window which I would also recommend.

Installation is just reversed, you will have to re-adjust your walkthrough window which takes some trial and error with the brace location. If you have any more q's please just ask.

docdrs
02-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Excellent mod fman....very cool. I think it would look good on my boat

WadsworthSunsport22V
02-02-2010, 09:41 PM
I like the look, especially since you have basically the same color pattern, logo and boat I do!

Fman
02-03-2010, 02:03 PM
I would recommend it to anyone, it does add a polished/upgraded look to the boat and from what I hear it actually does help eliminate some glare on the water. I will find out this season.

WadsworthSunsport22V
02-03-2010, 11:19 PM
how about night. I already struggle to see when it is pitch black and no moon.

Fman
02-04-2010, 09:40 PM
You will be over the windshield at night if you tint your windows, the 35% will give you a little better vision at dusk/late evening, 20% will give you even less, 5% limo even worse. I am sure at night you are not traveling to fast anyway, but it is definitely something to consider before you make the investment.

dusty2221
02-09-2010, 01:05 AM
I'm planning on having this done to our new boat. I was really hoping it could be done on the boat. Guess I'll take it to my tinted and see what he says.

Fman
02-09-2010, 02:08 AM
I'm planning on having this done to our new boat. I was really hoping it could be done on the boat. Guess I'll take it to my tinted and see what he says.

On the newer Supras its near impossible to tint the windows on the boat because there is very little room from the dash to window clearance. Again, take it from my mishaps, make sure your tinter has done many boat windows. There is nothing worse than picking up your windows and not being satisfied, along with having to deny someone payment.

ScottnAz
03-22-2010, 08:35 PM
I dropped my windows off at tinter #3 this afternoon, so we shall see. Here are some pictures to go along with the removal steps

1. I had 2 pins to pop out in order to remove the walkthough window
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/photo-19.jpg

2. Remove the rubber strip to expose the screws
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/photo2-10.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/photo-20.jpg

3. I used a drill/screw gun to remove the screws.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/photo2-11.jpg

ScottnAz
03-22-2010, 08:36 PM
4. My boat had (1) screw/nut combo on each window. I put a vise grip on the nut, and just backed the screw out with the drill.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/photo4-6.jpg

5. Remove the screws for the window support
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/photo2-12.jpg

6. Lift the frames off the boat
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/photo3-12.jpg

Here's a picture of the tough-to-get-to screw under the tower
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/photo4-7.jpg

ScottnAz
03-22-2010, 08:40 PM
A couple other misc. pictures from the removal

Screws
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/photo3-11.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/photo-22.jpg

Tint guy #1 spent 2.5 hours on this first pane of glass before giving up. Here's a shot of 20% on the front pane, and a bare back panel for comparison.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/photo2-13.jpg

dusty2221
03-22-2010, 09:11 PM
I just pulled mine off tonight as well. My removal was exactly like Scotts. My pics blow, but you get the idea. Looks goofy with no glass. I actually have a spot, the very back corner on the starboard side, where it looks like the mount was loose. It messes up a dime size area of fiberglass. I'm going to attempt at a small fill. The frame completely covers it, but maybe this way it won't worsen

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/dusty2221/1269305580.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/dusty2221/1269305578.jpg

Fman
03-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Nice work fellas, the pictures look great. I hope you have success with finding a tinter, there is always Ben at ACME in Sacramento, CA. He has one of the best tinters I have seen doing his boat windows.

Post up some more pics when they are done!

dusty2221
03-24-2010, 02:16 PM
I dropped my glass(still in the frame) off to the tinter today. He said he is going to take the frames off and he told me he should be able to do it. I'm a bit nervouse now, after seeing his face as he assured me he could do it.

Planning on picking them up Friday, hopefully with a layer of 20% 3M tint. And since he is taking them out of the frames, I'm sure I will spend Friday evening going over every screw making sure it is correctly put back together. Did I mention how much I hate having someone else work on my stuff?

Fman
03-24-2010, 10:36 PM
I dropped my glass(still in the frame) off to the tinter today. He said he is going to take the frames off and he told me he should be able to do it. I'm a bit nervouse now, after seeing his face as he assured me he could do it.

Planning on picking them up Friday, hopefully with a layer of 20% 3M tint. And since he is taking them out of the frames, I'm sure I will spend Friday evening going over every screw making sure it is correctly put back together. Did I mention how much I hate having someone else work on my stuff?

Make sure he replaces the rivets with stainless #66 2 1/8".

ScottnAz
03-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Picked my windshields up from tint guy #3 this afternoon......
then dropped them off with tint guy #4....

I really think I may have to make a trip out to Sac. Once the ballast upgrade parts arrive, I'll head out and Travis can help me with the mod while his tint guy does my windows...:D

Plus, I don't want to pay for a hotel, so I'll/we'll be staying at your house Travis

dusty2221
03-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Is your glass out of the frames or are all these guys trying with them still assembled?

Fman
03-25-2010, 02:06 AM
Picked my windshields up from tint guy #3 this afternoon......
then dropped them off with tint guy #4....

I really think I may have to make a trip out to Sac. Once the ballast upgrade parts arrive, I'll head out and Travis can help me with the mod while his tint guy does my windows...:D

Plus, I don't want to pay for a hotel, so I'll/we'll be staying at your house Travis

I was able to stop at tinter #3, so you have me beat... maybe #4 will be able to come through for you! Another option for you would be to contact your dealer and see if they can recommend anyone that does there boats? or a reputable stereo shop that does boats might also be another good contact.

I have a spare bedroom, your more than welcomed to crash at my place.

ScottnAz
03-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Is your glass out of the frames or are all these guys trying with them still assembled?
Still assembled. I'm too skeered to take them out of the frames myself, and the only tint guy I spoke with that would take them out and reassemble wanted an extra $250.

Tint guy #1- had trouble with the curve (clearly hadn't done many boats even though he tried to convince me otherwise)
Tint guy #2- I had no business going to him, I was impatient and wanted it done asap after wasting my time with #1, my fault.
Tint guy #3- dirt in the film, sloppy and large light gaps
Tint guy #4- Supra dealer's tinter (although, this is their 1st time working with him)

Nautiqe dealer had no recommendations for a tint guy
Mastercraft dealer sent me to theirs for a quote. He seemed a little apprehensive to tint the windows. I think there was a combination of different style window than he was used to, and hearing about me going through tint guys probably turned him off from wanting to deal with me. :rolleyes:
Supra dealer, like I said, is using a guy that's new to them, but hopefully since it's getting done under the watchful eye of the dealer it will finally get done. I actually talked to the Supra dealer after #1, but they didn't have their guy lined up yet, and so I kept truckin along.

Fman
03-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Still assembled. I'm too skeered to take them out of the frames myself, and the only tint guy I spoke with that would take them out and reassemble wanted an extra $250.

Tint guy #1- had trouble with the curve (clearly hadn't done many boats even though he tried to convince me otherwise)
Tint guy #2- I had no business going to him, I was impatient and wanted it done asap after wasting my time with #1, my fault.
Tint guy #3- dirt in the film, sloppy and large light gaps
Tint guy #4- Supra dealer's tinter (although, this is their 1st time working with him)

Nautiqe dealer had no recommendations for a tint guy
Mastercraft dealer sent me to theirs for a quote. He seemed a little apprehensive to tint the windows. I think there was a combination of different style window than he was used to, and hearing about me going through tint guys probably turned him off from wanting to deal with me. :rolleyes:
Supra dealer, like I said, is using a guy that's new to them, but hopefully since it's getting done under the watchful eye of the dealer it will finally get done. I actually talked to the Supra dealer after #1, but they didn't have their guy lined up yet, and so I kept truckin along.

Dont give up, you will eventually find someone. Removing the glass from the frames will make a huge difference, you can do this yourself. Its not too big of a project, just take your time.

ScottnAz
04-05-2010, 04:43 PM
On to #5
This is getting ridiculous

dusty2221
04-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Wow, sorry for the troubles Scott, that blows.

Fman
04-05-2010, 11:57 PM
On to #5
This is getting ridiculous

I was finally successful with #4.... you are now the new champion :D

Sorry you are having so many problems, as you can see it takes a very skilled tinter who is going to take there time. For what its worth, I have LLUMAR film, not 3M... maybe the LLUMAR is a little better for the curves??? And I have to ask, are they heating up the tint with a heat gun???? I believe this is what makes the difference allowing the tint to curve to the window.

ScottnAz
04-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Yeah, they've been heating the tint with a heat gun. I of the guys along the way, complained that the tint was shrinking too much from the gun, and therefore creating large light gaps (1/4"). That's how he left it, instead of redoing with a larger piece of film.

#4 didn't do a bad job, in fact, didn't do anything at all. I dropped the shields off at the dealer 2 Wednesdays ago (24th) with the promise of having them by the weekend. Dealer called Friday night and said the guy completed one side, that looks GREAT because he did it twice because he wasn't happy, but wanted to do the other side over the weekend and I'd have them Monday. Monday....Tuesday....Wednesday came so I finally called. Dealer said the tint guy would have them done by the weekend. (heard that the previous week), and again, like deja vu, dealer calls on Friday and promises them by Monday (yesterday). I didn't hear from the dealer yesterday, so I stopped in around lunch time. Turns out, the tint guy hasn't even started them yet! I was pretty pissed, and dropped a couple F bombs because it's been nearly 2 weeks, and nothing has been done. I said I'd be back for the windshields because they won't fit in my wife's EOS :D

I saw a Supra for sale locally with tinted glass so I contacted the seller for a recommendation for a tint guy. I'll call his tinter today (closed Mondays), and see when he can get them done. Right now the windshields are still at the dealer with promises of having them completed today, but I may just pick them up this morning and continue my journey.

Fman
04-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Yeah, they've been heating the tint with a heat gun. I of the guys along the way, complained that the tint was shrinking too much from the gun, and therefore creating large light gaps (1/4"). That's how he left it, instead of redoing with a larger piece of film.

#4 didn't do a bad job, in fact, didn't do anything at all. I dropped the shields off at the dealer 2 Wednesdays ago (24th) with the promise of having them by the weekend. Dealer called Friday night and said the guy completed one side, that looks GREAT because he did it twice because he wasn't happy, but wanted to do the other side over the weekend and I'd have them Monday. Monday....Tuesday....Wednesday came so I finally called. Dealer said the tint guy would have them done by the weekend. (heard that the previous week), and again, like deja vu, dealer calls on Friday and promises them by Monday (yesterday). I didn't hear from the dealer yesterday, so I stopped in around lunch time. Turns out, the tint guy hasn't even started them yet! I was pretty pissed, and dropped a couple F bombs because it's been nearly 2 weeks, and nothing has been done. I said I'd be back for the windshields because they won't fit in my wife's EOS :D

I saw a Supra for sale locally with tinted glass so I contacted the seller for a recommendation for a tint guy. I'll call his tinter today (closed Mondays), and see when he can get them done. Right now the windshields are still at the dealer with promises of having them completed today, but I may just pick them up this morning and continue my journey.

At least you know never to go back to that dealer, they sound just a little flakey... nice of them to lie to you! Sounds like you are on the right track with your newest contact. Best of luck, hope it works out well for you.

ScottnAz
04-09-2010, 11:19 PM
I'll get a better pic when we head out this weekend, it's not as dark as it seems in this picture

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/photo-33.jpg

Fman
04-10-2010, 12:16 AM
Scott, looks great!! Really nice with the white/yellow combo.

tg0824SSVGG
04-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Looks great. I thought I wanted to do this for a while now, but with all the problems I hear about getting them done, and the fairly steep price - I think I have other things
I want done with the limited "bling" budget first - but it looks SWEET!

I think it would look good on my all-white boat too - but not right now. For instance,
I would rather put an HSE (volume control) in first - too bad I missed out on the
deal they recently had -- the shower and fake-a-lake drained my bling budget for now.

ScottnAz
04-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah, you definitely have to pace yourself (don't try to keep up with fman :D)

2 season ago I did the HSE and new headunit
Last season was FAE and larger ballast bags
This season has been window tint and Tsunami ballast pump system mod

I've got to try (try?? yeah right) to keep the mods to a minimun this season since I'll be replacing both batteries any day (both are 5 years old, and original to the boat)

I was certainly surprised how difficult a task it was to find a tint guy for these windows. On top of having to deal with 5 different tint guys, I probably left messages for another dozen that didn't even bother replying. I don't know if it's a sign of the economy, or just poor customer service, that they didn't return the messages? But, I got it done. I had quotes from $150 to $500, and ended up paying $210, so I shouldn't complain too much considering how much some others are paying.

Close the thread now, cause you probably don't want to see this picture. This is the one that made me decide that I NEEDED to have the windows tinted: NAW's Supra

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/772366.jpg

Fman
04-12-2010, 04:03 PM
No more projects for me this year, my boat fund is tapped out, I still am debating over ordering an extra prop, regardless, that'll be it for now.

$210 for your windows is a great price, did they remove the frames? any light gaps? average I have seen is $300-$400.

ScottnAz
04-13-2010, 03:32 PM
I don't know what to tell you about the spare prop. I've got one, and hope to not use it, but would hate to ruin a weekend outing because I didn't have one.

The tint guy did the windows assembled, off the boat. The $500 quote was to disassemble the frames, tint the glass, then reassemble. I just couldn't justify the extra money, so I'm living with a couple minimal light gaps. I may get some black touch-up paint and hide them if it starts to bother me, but overall, I am very pleased.

Fman
04-13-2010, 04:54 PM
I don't know what to tell you about the spare prop. I've got one, and hope to not use it, but would hate to ruin a weekend outing because I didn't have one.

The tint guy did the windows assembled, off the boat. The $500 quote was to disassemble the frames, tint the glass, then reassemble. I just couldn't justify the extra money, so I'm living with a couple minimal light gaps. I may get some black touch-up paint and hide them if it starts to bother me, but overall, I am very pleased.

Thats great Scott, glad you are pleased with the results... another trick I have seen on the windows is to use a vinyl black tape that goes on the lower part of the glass to cover any gaps. I know this because the first guy did it on my windows! It looked decent, better than showing any gaps.

As far as the prop, I will definitely be ordering one before I goto Shasta in June, I can only imagine what they would charge for a prop at the Marina! Plus we are going to be there for 7 nights.