PDA

View Full Version : Tower Speaker suggestions

cmtaylor777
02-02-2010, 04:17 PM
I have read all the threads out there about tower speakers. I am fairly convinced that the best around would be Wet Sounds. My plan is to go with the 3 some set up when I have the money. My only problem is convincing my wife that 2 grand on speakers is a "good idea."

Until then I have to make do with what I have. I have 2 JL 12" subs running with all MB Quarts inside the boat as well as 2 canned MB Quarts 6.5" on the tower. My problem is this......... One of my speakers on the tower is blown. I'm not getting any mid sound out of it. just high tone. It's not that big of deal knowing that the MB Quarts speakers aren't that expensive. What I would like to do is replace the one speaker with a decent speaker while I try to round up the money for the Wet sounds set up. I would like to purchase one or a set of decent/good quality speakers to replace the MB Quarts without killing me on price. New or Used

any suggestions?????????????

jonyb
02-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Ebay for something cheap to get you by.

XS-650's are a good drop-in speaker, as well as the SS-65's. Those are a little cheaper than the 650's and are built about the same.

For the tower, I've been reading a lot lately about the Exile speakers. I haven't heard them yet, but they get a lot of good reviews and the owner of the company posts on these boards.

On the Wet Sounds, what about a double-up? That's a pair of MB-8's and a pair of Pro60's. I've got the 3-some now and have it for sale to go a different direction. The 3-Some is very loud, but it's just pointless to have it "that" loud for what we need it for. I'm adding a set of MB-8's to mine in the place of the 485.

Fman
02-02-2010, 06:01 PM
I am no stereo guru, but I have (4) Zapco 6.5" speakers with seasick cans on my tower and they sound good. I am running (2) amps, the kicker that came with the boat and a phosgate. I can easily hear the music when wakeboarding, no distortion at a reasonably high sound level. Probably nothing compared to the wet sounds but I picked them up for a very reasonable price.

Might be worth taking a look at them online.

cmtaylor777
02-02-2010, 06:55 PM
jonyb

ideally, I would love to find a good used 3 some unit, but its hard to trust a used set of speakers. A double up would work too. Either one would be perfect.

Exile look pretty good. Haven't heard them personally. Hopefully there will be some options at the Dallas boat show this weekend.

jonyb
02-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Even the used ones go for pretty high, from what I can tell.

cmtaylor777
02-03-2010, 02:30 PM
I know. not really worth going with used.