PDA

View Full Version : Best positioning for subs?????

cmtaylor777
02-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Where is the place to position your sub or subs? I have 2 JL 12" subs in a prefab box under the dash directly under the glove box. Is there a better place? I figured this would be the best place to keep the moisture off them. I have also installed several different systems in cars as well as homes and I know that sound levels can vary with different sub positioning. I have seen them placed under the steering wheel but I know that is a very exposed area.

What do you guys think?

As always.... thanks in advance for the help.

WadsworthSunsport22V
02-03-2010, 08:33 PM
I have mine raised (on 10 inch diamond HEX), but under the helm station. I have not had a problem with moisture. Oddly, I have had problems with moisture under the glove box. All my amps failed do to moisture. I have now replaced all the amps with marine rated amps, and have not had a problem (other than my amp rack breaking).

jonyb
02-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Under the helm is no different then in the other console. I've had 2 separate setups in mine. 4 JL Audio 10W0's (2 in each side), and now 2 12" XXX's, having them split like that allowed for more storage space under the port side console.

Brianinpdx
02-06-2010, 04:08 AM
Cmt - short answer is none. But its not as simple as where to put a woofer. The real question is box, woofer, port, size and tuning compliment. Take all those into consideration things start to get confusing to most.

As has already been said in the thread, moisture kills. So that prefab box will also be a candidate for destruction (I'm sure you can sell it on ebay as lightly used a season from now hehe). The car installs mentioned probably had noticeable changes with boundary loading effect off the rear glass. Yes physical location can play a roll. This is where the wave form actually couples to the rear glass in a complimentary way... IE sounds louder! In the marine environment I would try to steer you to a vented box stuffed with a woofer that can handle some decent power and is built from materials that will withstand moisture. (READ not MDF). Getting that box off the floor an inch or two will make it live longer.

Lastly, if ultimate performance is the goal, step up to a super woofer. One of my boys over on the BU forum pulled 144db off one of our 15's in a vent setup. Pretty freakin loud in a boat. Regardless of the brand or goal... the thing is, all the same rules apply. I like to say, "there's no magic, just physics"

EarmarkMarine
02-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Acoustics is a favorite subject.

Here is a thread on another forum which includes a good amount of information about subwoofer location and positioning. (http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24059-common-and-creative-subwoofer-locations/)

Also, Here's a link to a Supra Gallery showing around thirty or so Supra installations. (http://earmarkcaraudio.com/install_supras.asp)

If there are any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them as time permits.

David
Earmark Marine

cmtaylor777
02-07-2010, 12:21 AM
David,

Thanks for your help. I checked out your stand at the boat show. You guys are very helpful.