PDA

View Full Version : Rocker??

mapleleaf
02-04-2010, 08:09 PM
So my one and only Hyperlite Motive that I bought used has got to go.... I'd say I'm intermediate, not a ton of tricks in my bag but super comfortable on a board, this is maybe my 4th or 5th boardsport.....
Wondering about all these different rocker choices.... I guess I'd like a board with a bunch of pop, some softer landings and it's gotta be a 142, rode 140 last year and would like something alittle bigger....
Any thoughts??

Fman
02-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Mapleleaf,

Typically a continuous rocker will be found on more of the advanced boards which will give more control but a little less pop off the wake. The three stage rocker tends to be found on the more beginner/intermediate boards which gives you a better pop but with less control. There is also the Hybrid rocker that tends to be in the middle of the pack. You should really ride different boards with different rockers to find what works best for your style. Personally, I like boards that track well and cut easily, I just picked up a CWB 142 Transcend Platnum which is rated Advanced, with a continuous rocker and full spine. I can hardly wait to get out and ride this spring!

My kids ride a 134 HL Motive and they love that board, it gives them good control and a nice pop off the wake.

For softer landings you need board with a full spine down the middle from tip to tip, this will help displace water when landing. The larger your board gets the softer your landings will be. Bigger boards will not be as easy to spin and control.

Clear as mud?

mapleleaf
02-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Yup..... Testing boards up here is a little difficult as the good lakes are little out of town......I'm gonna try to demo a couple and will go from there....
thanks...

jzelt
02-05-2010, 11:06 AM
I apply the same philosophy I did when I bought my slalom ski. 3-$400 (MSRP) new should get you good quality that I know will outperform my capability.

I just bought a CWB Faction with the Faction boots (144). Can't wait to try it out. Looks to have pretty major rocker and read it was good for landings. Like you, no real close places that test ride. I will say, I tried on the board and bindings when they came in the mail, and the hinge style is extremely easy to get in and out of, without any lubrication.

Read reviews if you find a style boot/board you want. That is what drove me to CWB over others. Check out Wakeworld.com

87SunSportMikeyD
02-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Hmmm it was my understanding that beginner boards had continuous rocker to have more controlled pop. Advanced boards used 3-stage to try and get more aggressive pop at the expense of some amount of control. Most of todays boards give you a pretty good balance and I would recommend a 3-stage to anyone looking who is comfortable going wake-to-wake and is looking for bigger air. These boards are more 'spoon' belly shaped and generally ride a little slower through the water and when edgeing. Love my Watson it is a bestseller for a reason!

jaywidhalm
02-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Hmmm it was my understanding that beginner boards had continuous rocker to have more controlled pop. Advanced boards used 3-stage to try and get more aggressive pop at the expense of some amount of control. Most of todays boards give you a pretty good balance and I would recommend a 3-stage to anyone looking who is comfortable going wake-to-wake and is looking for bigger air. These boards are more 'spoon' belly shaped and generally ride a little slower through the water and when edgeing. Love my Watson it is a bestseller for a reason!

I agree. I have a hyperlite motive as well with the continuous rocker. I was told the 3 stage is typically found on the more advanced boards, more pop, etc. One of the most important things is to fit the board to your height and weight.

mapleleaf
02-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Yeah Mikey, LF is calling my name....I'm thinking 3 stage 142, now to see whats out there.....

87SunSportMikeyD
02-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Do you have anywhere you can demo?

mapleleaf
02-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Working on a connection from a friend to a wake camp north of the city.....we'll see.......

87SunSportMikeyD
02-08-2010, 12:04 PM
The PS4 and Lyman and much faster boards than the Watson and dont have as much rocker. I rode the PS3 and Lyman 08 and while they were nice boards they didn't feel perfect to me and didn't give me the vertical pop I was looking for. The Watson is very stable and forgiving and I have not had anyone ride it who didn't like it. I have one buddy who rode mine a couple times last summer and when he FINALLY upgraded he went Watson all the way. :) Not to diss any other board or manufacturer but imho it is a great board and the sales seem to agree...

mapleleaf
02-08-2010, 06:36 PM
i Think what ur saying is I should ride a Watson....and when it works out buy it!
Great advice Mikey.....know anything about Triple X wakesurf boards????
I'M LOOKING THIS ONE IN A 60" model....
http://cgi.ebay.com/Triple-X-4-6-Slasher-Pro-X-Custom-Painted-Wakesurfer_W0QQitemZ350306788239QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518fe9638f

mapleleaf
02-09-2010, 09:12 AM
update.....this is the one I bought, kinda roll' in the dice, but the price tag got me.....Hopefully it's not too long. It'll be our first year try'in to surf so I'm hoping this is a good place to start.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350314549499&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

87SunSportMikeyD
02-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Maple - Sorry I didnt' get back to you in time, I saw your post though. It looks like a nice board! It looks like it should fit in a standard board rack. I thought it was epoxy but it says it is hand wrapped. I can't really tell as I am not an expert in surf construction.

I have both a 4.5' board as well as a 5.6' board. With that one being 5.0 it should be small enough to spin but big enough to really slash the wave and maybe get air too. Gotta love that triple fin that should be NICE!! And a board sock too can't beat that!

If you search triple x on wakeworld you should get a few hits. I think they may have reviews of their surfers too. Can I ask how much you won it for? Congrats!!

mapleleaf
02-09-2010, 01:38 PM
pm out there homie....