PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a drysuit?

TayTay
02-09-2010, 03:53 PM
I am looking into buying a drysuit for early spring riding. I am looking at the Oniel Boost. My question is does anybody use one and what temperature water do you ride in? I am guessing by the time I want to go out the water will be in the 40's. I started riding last year in water in the high 40's with a 7mm wetsuit. Any opinions/advice would be helpful! Thanks guys

Salty87
02-09-2010, 04:49 PM
i've got a bare suit. baggy style.except for your head, hands, and feet the water temp doesn't matter much. just wear more underneath. sweat pants work great.

coldest i've been out was a new years day ride a few years ago. not sure what the water temp was but the air was around 30.

sybrmike
02-09-2010, 06:36 PM
In my youth we'd use dry suits (I've got a picture somewhere skiing with ice on the banks - air & water in the 30's). Layered sweats underneath, fill up the drysuit with hot air from in-boat heater hose, jump in & float like a cork, "burp" the suit, & good to go. Hands & feet go numb, but body temp's good for a few runs.

In "milder" temps, fill up the wetsuit with engine jacket hot water shower before getting in. Again, good for a few runs before the chill sets in.

Now the cold just hurts, so I'm a warm weather/water wimp.

TayTay
02-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Thats a really great idea about the heater, I didn't even think about that. I am really going back and forth about spending the money. Even though I found a guy who will sell one for $250 and they are about $400 new. I will keep debating it. Keep giving me reasons to either go for it, or wait it out like the rest of the boating community.

mapleleaf
02-09-2010, 07:31 PM
ski-it-again.com has a couple listed forsale.......

tg0824SSVGG
02-09-2010, 07:51 PM
My wife uses an NRS drysuit - and loves it - it has FEET - which is important
for a hydrofoiler - but you might tear them off wakeboarding.

She has an actual condition that gets her into trouble when she gets too cold (cold urticaria - which CAN cause an anaphalactic reaction). She's used this suit in 34 degree water. Face and hands hurt - but body was dry and warm (due to layers under the suit).

jaywidhalm
02-09-2010, 09:42 PM
I was looking at the Boost as well, Tay, since I am in the same area. If I were to buy new that it what I would get.
I got an older barefoot international baggy drysuit given to me, but all the seals need to be replaced.
Anyone know an economical place to get these done? I contacted a few dive shops around here, looks like I'm looking at around $175 - $200 to get them done...still better tahn $400, but its a 10 year old suit.
I'm still debating doing that as well.