PDA

View Full Version : SSV vs. Launch SS

tifgirl
04-13-2004, 01:45 PM
Hi there. We are looking at buying a new Launch SS. We ski and wakeboard. We are more interested in having a multifunctional boat, but more toward the wakeboarding end. Can anyone tell me how the Launch SS is when it comes to wakeboarding? The dealer seems to think this is the best boat for us? Thanks
________
VERMONT MEDICAL MARIJUANA (http://vermont.dispensaries.org/)

mygreenmonster.com
04-14-2004, 09:25 AM
I have had both a direct drive and a v-drive. If you want a great wakeboarding wake and you want a lot of room in the boat for family, the v-drive will suit you best. Also if you are ever going to be in rough water, the v-drive will handle it better. The slalom ski wake is a little bit bigger on the v-drive, but it is still pretty smooth from what my slalom ski buddies tell me.

The direct drive is not as fun in real rough water. Another issue I had with the direct drive is how loud the engine in the middle is. It is difficult to hear the people in the back from the front while driving. The direct drive can still make an excellent wake, but it seems to need more weight to make that great wake. And on the flip side, the direct drive will give you a better slalom ski wake than the v-drive.

Unless you are hard-core slalom skiers, I would recommend the SSV.

Good luck,
Bryon

jflock2
04-14-2004, 06:33 PM
I concur. When my SSV's ballast is empty and the wakeplate is down...the wake table is pretty flat, especially at slalom speeds.

hptesting
04-14-2004, 08:57 PM
I'm with these guys. When I got in the market for a new boat I was looking for a boat that leaned toward wakeboarding but allowed me to hit the slalom course if I really wanted to.

I have had a direct drive since 1989. I was convinced I did not want a V drive until I test drove the SSV. The wakeplate REALLY helps the wake get smaller. The day we test drove I ran the course first time behind the boat at 22 off and 36 mph. Its no pure slalom boat but it great for a V. Now, I primarily wakeboard and the wake with ballast is absolutely great!!! I run the standard ballast and another 400 lbs of lead and it is top notch.

The seating and deck above the engine are great for socializing.

tifgirl
04-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Thanks so much for you help. We did decide to go with the SS for now. My husband slaloms and I wake. He has the $$s so I made him swear that if the wake bites that we will upgrade to the SSV. Keep ya posted.:)
________
Arizona Dispensaries (http://dispensaries.org/)