PDA

View Full Version : Impeller replacement/2 hours labor charge?

Fman
02-11-2010, 01:22 PM
I called my dealer to find out what they charge to replace the impeller, they quoted me 2 hours of labor which is $220. Does this sound right? I have seen posts on many boards about this being a 15-30 minute job? even on the newer CAT ETX V-drive motors. I kind of feel like they are way over on there time allotment.

SZEH
02-11-2010, 02:18 PM
I called my dealer to find out what they charge to replace the impeller, they quoted me 2 hours of labor which is $220. Does this sound right? I have seen posts on many boards about this being a 15-30 minute job? even on the newer CAT ETX V-drive motors. I kind of feel like they are way over on there time allotment.

Very first time I did mine it took less than 30 min on a 2006 21V. Sounds llike the dealer is trying to pad his $$$ for a slow economy. Maybe he's planning on taking the entire pump assembly out, but I still think 2 hours is still very inflated for that from what I've read here.

iwakeboard
02-11-2010, 03:18 PM
It literally took my tech less than 5 minutes to change the impellar on my boat, with me standing there with him. That's absolutely ridiculous.

TayTay
02-11-2010, 04:20 PM
It took me about 5 minutes to take mine out this fall for winterizing, figure another few minutes to put it back in. IT definetly should take two hours. I dont maybe they charge for the time it takes to move the boat around, test run the boat after the change it, etc. Personally I think it is BS to charge that much.

87SunSportMikeyD
02-11-2010, 04:56 PM
$200 for impellor, $300 to winterize, it's a game to them. DIY buddy!

Fman
02-11-2010, 06:16 PM
It literally took my tech less than 5 minutes to change the impellar on my boat, with me standing there with him. That's absolutely ridiculous.

It gets worse, I called another local dealer (where I purchased my boat, they dont sell Supra anymore) but they quoted me $315 with the impeller. That just seems crazy, I am definitely going to try and tackle it myself. I already have the impeller. Looks like 4 bolts, remove the cover/gasket, remove impeller and reverse on the install??? It does look like there is not much clearance with the CAT motor/V-drive and exhaust manifold, this might be the headache factor.

Fman
02-11-2010, 06:18 PM

Was this with the new CAT ETX motor? direct or v-drive? I can see how it would be extremely easy on a direct drive, because of the easy access. The CAT ETX motor does not have much clearance around the impeller cover.

chautauquasun
02-11-2010, 07:35 PM
2 hours is over the top. I had never changed an impeller in my life and it took me maybe a total of 30 minutes to remove the water pump, put the new impeller in and reconnect the water pump. Now I did buy my impeller at the marina. Thats where they got me on my job. Hit me with a $75 charge for a part you can get for 25-30 on line. But really didnt have a choice at that point. I know that I will be ordering online next time.

87SunSportMikeyD
02-11-2010, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=fman]Looks like 4 bolts, remove the cover/gasket, remove impeller and reverse on the install??? It QUOTE]

You got it. Where is our pictorial thread to be stickied here???

87SunSportMikeyD
02-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Links, but not the one I wanted...
http://moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=5369&highlight=impellor&page=2
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/329352.html

mapleleaf
02-11-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm think'in boats are a luxury item??? Sorry Travis, they got all our numbers....

Fman
02-11-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm think'in boats are a luxury item??? Sorry Travis, they got all our numbers....

I have no problem paying someone to do a job, but when they are over charging people it makes me never want to give them a dime of my money :(

mapleleaf
02-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Oh I hear ya, paid $350 for points and a fuel filter last year, for some reason he had to water test it when he was done, funny he didn't tell me that would be a part of the job when I dropped the boat off....Cost me more for him to take the boat to the lake then the actual repair!!! This is a guy who repaired my granddad's boats and has been wintering a 9.9 Evinrude for 35 yrs for us...
It was hard to swallow, my customers know what I'm doing and billing for BEFORE I do it...

side note: there's no way the 9.9 is worth anything close to what we've paid to keep it alive through him!!!!!

Fman
02-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Good news, I replaced my Impeller today! It took about 45 minutes, but I could probably do it in 15 next time. There was some tight working conditions with the CAT ETX exhaust but it was do-able. I also had to soak the impeller with some liquid wrench for a few minutes to let it break free. I grabbed it with some needle nose vice grips, it took a few tugs and finally broke free after soaking it. Its hard to get leverage or see what you are doing with the Vdrive impeller. I took a mirror to see the inside of the housing.

This was good for me to do this because I never realized the inside of the impeller housing was not perfectly round and a portion of the veins squeeze up against the inside of the housing. I can see how you can burn an impeller up quickly without any water going through it.

I did mark the cover with a marker to make sure I put the cover back on correctly after removing it. I also noticed the 4 bolts were not on that tight at all, they are brass and can strip easily, so I only went a little past snug.

All in all, pretty easy, my original impeller with 150 hours was in good shape, but always good for some peace of mind. I will probably stay on the every other year impeller change or 150 hours.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice, much appreciated :)

Travis...

cmtaylor777
02-12-2010, 12:26 AM
I got the same load of crap from a mechanic. I actually had the mechanic bring me the old impeller when he was doing the winterization and said, "you should replace this." I said ok and asked him what he would charge and he stated 1 hour plus the price of parts.
Now I ask this.....Doesn't he have to put my old impeller back in? Either way he is already doing the work but he wanted to hit me with the extra labor. He could have gained more of my future business by just being cool about it and replace it for the cost of the part. I then simply told him "thanks, I will replace it when I get home."

Fman
02-12-2010, 12:30 AM
I got the same load of crap from a mechanic. I actually had the mechanic bring me the old impeller when he was doing the winterization and said, "you should replace this." I said ok and asked him what he would charge and he stated 1 hour plus the price of parts.
Now I ask this.....Doesn't he have to put my old impeller back in? Either way he is already doing the work but he wanted to hit me with the extra labor. He could have gained more of my future business by just being cool about it and replace it for the cost of the part. I then simply told him "thanks, I will replace it when I get home."

Its pretty disappointing to see mechanics try and take advantage of boat owners. I am glad I am doing all of my maintenance on my own, and I dont have to take it down to the dealer every time. Plus, I would rather keep other peoples hands off my boat, at least when I do it I know exactly what was done.

jet
02-12-2010, 10:52 AM
No one touches my baby..no one..

87SunSportMikeyD
02-12-2010, 12:18 PM
good job fman.

Okie Boarder
02-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Nice work. I did mine last year. It's a little easier with a DD. I'm debating on whether I want to do it again this year. It's a cheap part and doesn't tke much time to replace, but one going out could ruin a day or weekend on the lake.

myturndad
02-12-2010, 02:24 PM
this makes it so much easier on a vdrive.

Fman
02-12-2010, 03:20 PM
this makes it so much easier on a vdrive.

Does this tool work on the CAT ETX motor without removing the exhaust muffler? I did not have much clearance at all with the exhaust muffler right behind the cap of the impeller housing.

Fman
02-12-2010, 07:37 PM
good job fman.

Oh, I forgot to mention my aching back!!!! Getting old sucks! My back definitely does not like being hunched over the engine to long! Its a good thing I can stand straight up wakeboarding.... :)

mapleleaf
02-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention my aching back!!!! Getting old sucks! My back definitely does not like being hunched over the engine to long! Its a good thing I can stand straight up wakeboarding.... :)

Its a good thing you did it before the season started...recovery time!!!!
Nice work on the repair.....

beast 496
02-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Labor charges start from the start of the procedure, move boat into shop, uncover boat, remove all customers accy's from engine compartment area, ie, floaty's, life jackets, ski's ect., Replace impellor assy, check for missing blades, if some are missing locating the blades, flushing out hoses, test running on hose or in water. install all of customers accy's, recover boat. Minimum charge is 1 hr, which is usually the charge, $60 to $75 should be normal. Labor rates over $100 are rediculas. Hrs. charged should not be judged, but actual cost of doing the job. Impellor changes for Inboards are usually around $100.00. V Drives, $125. Al

Fman
02-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Labor charges start from the start of the procedure, move boat into shop, uncover boat, remove all customers accy's from engine compartment area, ie, floaty's, life jackets, ski's ect., Replace impellor assy, check for missing blades, if some are missing locating the blades, flushing out hoses, test running on hose or in water. install all of customers accy's, recover boat. Minimum charge is 1 hr, which is usually the charge, $60 to $75 should be normal. Labor rates over $100 are rediculas. Hrs. charged should not be judged, but actual cost of doing the job. Impellor changes for Inboards are usually around $100.00. V Drives, $125. Al

I probably would have scheduled an appt for $125, but $315???? I know I purchased the impeller for $35. Labor rates in California are $110/hr. And they wonder why more people are leaving the state than moving in right now!!!!

beast 496
02-14-2010, 10:44 AM
I recieved a copy of a letter sent to all of the customers of a local Marina. Basically it was a cover letter stating how bad the economy is and how much the new labor rates will be this year. Now this is a marina which stores around 1,000 boats has 4 or 5 service tech's 2010 labor rate are $107.50. This is not a time to raise your rates on already dead economy. I shortly afterwards sent out my letter stating I will hold my rates at $65.00 per hr. I understand how hard it has been in the last couple years. I know I will pick up some referal's from existing customers. Marine rates are getting out of hand. We all go to the same service seminars from Indmar, Mercruiser, and Volvo. Usually the smaller shops, such as mine, the techs are much better qualified, also. Al

iwakeboard
02-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Good news, I replaced my Impeller today! It took about 45 minutes, but I could probably do it in 15 next time. There was some tight working conditions with the CAT ETX exhaust but it was do-able. I also had to soak the impeller with some liquid wrench for a few minutes to let it break free. I grabbed it with some needle nose vice grips, it took a few tugs and finally broke free after soaking it. Its hard to get leverage or see what you are doing with the Vdrive impeller. I took a mirror to see the inside of the housing.

This was good for me to do this because I never realized the inside of the impeller housing was not perfectly round and a portion of the veins squeeze up against the inside of the housing. I can see how you can burn an impeller up quickly without any water going through it.

I did mark the cover with a marker to make sure I put the cover back on correctly after removing it. I also noticed the 4 bolts were not on that tight at all, they are brass and can strip easily, so I only went a little past snug.

All in all, pretty easy, my original impeller with 150 hours was in good shape, but always good for some peace of mind. I will probably stay on the every other year impeller change or 150 hours.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice, much appreciated :)

Travis...

FMAN, congrats, sorry I just saw your question today. I have the 351 Indmar V-Drive, so it's in the back of the boat. Be careful with those little brass screws when you change that impellar, they're easy to lose and hard to find!!! When I replaced my raw water pump this winter I kept my old ones just in case.

If your impeller looks like it's in good shape hold on to it for "just in case" situations. My tech recommended putting it in a zip loc bag with a ton of vasoline.

Again, congrats, saved you some good change.

iwakeboard
02-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Also, thinking about it, I had taken the "riders locker" out of my 24V for the winter, I imagine it would have taken alot longer or been alot harder to get to with that in there. Then again, I probably would have pulled it out if it were there when I wanted to change the impeller/raw water pump.

Fman
02-14-2010, 01:27 PM
FMAN, congrats, sorry I just saw your question today. I have the 351 Indmar V-Drive, so it's in the back of the boat. Be careful with those little brass screws when you change that impellar, they're easy to lose and hard to find!!! When I replaced my raw water pump this winter I kept my old ones just in case.

If your impeller looks like it's in good shape hold on to it for "just in case" situations. My tech recommended putting it in a zip loc bag with a ton of vasoline.

Again, congrats, saved you some good change.

Great idea, I think I will put in the zip-loc and keep it on the boat, it appears to be in good shape with no missing veins and cracking.

michael hunter
02-15-2010, 11:30 AM
I agree with Beast now is a bad time to raise labor rates. Maybe their trying to make up for poor showroom sales. Getting and keeping a good reputation in business is very hard. Nothing ends a business relationship faster then overcharging and getting caught. Now is the time to hunker down and do quality work at a fair price. In the long run it will pay you back 10 fold. I live in the same area as my customers. It sure feels nice to have a positive greeting when I see them at a restaurant or store rather than having to hide knowing I probubly screwed them.

87SunSportMikeyD
02-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Beast THANK YOU for being a considerate and upstanding repairperson!!!! :)