PDA

View Full Version : WakeSurfing and CO2 safety article - Wake9.com

87SunSportMikeyD
02-11-2010, 04:50 PM
http://wake9.com/blogs/blog/category/news/page/3/

Please take the time to watch this VERY well made video article from Wake9.com about carbon monoxide safety. They take a CO2 monitor out onto the lake and measure the CO2 levels in various spots in the boat and on the surfboard. Then they use Fresh Air Exhaust and compare. Even if you have no interest in FAE, the data on CO2 from standard surf setup is very valuable. Enjoy and thanks Wake9.com crew.

tg0824SSVGG
02-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Speaking as a survivor of CO2 poisoning (not a lot of people do survive) -- don't mess
around with the stuff.

Okie Boarder
02-13-2010, 01:00 PM
That was pretty cool...good info! I'm hoping we can start surfing this year and this information will definitely come in handy.

87SunSportMikeyD
02-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Todd sorry to hear that, would love to hear more if you would care to share.

Basically what I take from this video is that you dont want to keep someone sitting in the 'fatboy' seat all day.

Okie Boarder
02-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I always thought it was the rider in more danger...seems like that isn't the case.

tg0824SSVGG
02-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Mikey,

It didn't happen in any "traditional" way - the hospital and everyone were quite
surprised -- it happened from an ELECTRIC oven, that had a spill in the bottom
and I was cooking a fancy meal with the oven turned way up. It started smoking
pretty bad, so I opened the windows and doors and turned on my KILLER vent fan.

I never left the kitchen, even tho my wife said she heard the carbon monoxide
detector yelling at me.

Next thning I knew, I woke up in the morning feeling like crap - then at the hospital,
I had to do 6 cycles thru the hyperbaric chamber (NOT FUN!) instead of the standard

My wife said I was acting really drunk/stupid that night. Bad thing about CO poisoning,
the person it's happening to has NO IDEA it's happening, but you basically suffocate
as the CO bonds to the blood BETTER than oxygen and you just kind of "pass out".

I have NO memory - other than for the next 3 weeks, when I could not drive,
could not think (I am an engineer, paid for my "brain" -- it was scary, I couldn't tell
if I would ever be able to "think" again, and would lose my job).

In the end, it took about a month to totally recover - and they say that it's possible
some parts of my brain may have damage that I will never get back.

Scary.

Todd

87SunSportMikeyD
02-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Holy cow I have never heard of that before. I should probably get serious and get another co detector for upstairs at home

docdrs
02-15-2010, 01:17 PM
I think i'll get my power inverter and stick an co sensor in the , boat and take some readings......this would be a good test/project for sc or if not us and post it up on this website for the various boats.

87SunSportMikeyD
02-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Same engine as the Tige I dont see how it would be different...

docdrs
02-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Same engine as the Tige I dont see how it would be different...

Supra uses Indmar engines now and have for quite some time. Tige uses PCM now, Marine Power engines on his 07. Some models have carb, efi and catext engines as well there are 5.7, 6.0 and 8.1 L engines. Exhausts ports and placements vary as do hull designs , platforms, engine configuration DD vs VD and length of sundecks. All these differences can contribute to different levels at different positions inside and outside the boat. He did a great job for his 24 tige, but you can't extrapolate this to all inboard boats. Plus he didn't specify as to whether his was efi or carb....prob efi as he said it was a 340 hp. Carburated engines will produce more emissions than efi.

I have a 340 catext so I am interested in the levels in the ballast boy seat and at and around the transom areas. I saw this article back a few months ago but have yet to find any tests done on the 4* CARB compliant cat engines and CO levels. So the levels will definitely be different. The question is how much and do i need a fae so my ballast boy doesn't get sick or better yet my daughter

87SunSportMikeyD
02-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Sorry my mistake! I was way off lol. You are very correct, I would assume the biggest differences would be between carb, efi or cat.

I am fairly confident that if you send an email to Larry Mann at FreshAirExhaust.com he will let you borrow a CO meter if you need one. That is how Wake9 did theirs. They are also accommidating of group buys if there is interest here.

docdrs
02-16-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm actually curious to see how clean the cats are with respect to CO emissions. Also as we do more surfing where the 35+ PPM CO areas are in the boat. The original 2003 tests on a Nautique DD were quite interesting.