PDA

View Full Version : 89 Supra Conbrio Restoration

dhorningjr
02-15-2010, 12:48 AM
I am Restoring This 89 Supra Conbrio, and i would love your advice on upgrades i.e. guages, DIY piant, Should i change color of paint, how long will the motor last? how much is a new motor? etc... The stringers are solid and the motor has 750 hours on it and runs well. i have started to do the upholstery as you can see on the rear deck lid. Thank you In advance for you advice and suggestions!

-What is the Gallons per Hour on your 89 Supra Conbrio's?
-Is anyone able to add fat sacs on your conbrio?
-Where can i upgrade my plastic vents on conbrio? and rubber railing?
-Where can i find New Supra Graphics? ie stickers

87SunSportMikeyD
02-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Welcome to the forum. She is a good looking lady and once she sees a little more love she will really shine!

Your motor should not be a problem unless it was abused. 750 hours is still pretty young, they can last 2500+ hours if taken care of. If she starts and runs okay in the driveway (disconnect the raw water strainer and stick a hose in the line to run out of water), that is a good start. Most people check the compression of the cylinders, either with an air compressor or through a mechanic. A new motor is $2-3k. Where are you located????

I would leave the paint personally. They already took off the original stickers. All you need to have her sparkling in the sun is a wet sand. Get some various fine grits of sandpaper (800 and finer) and a bucket of warm water. Go to town! Sand, then rinse/wash, then wax, then buff/polish. That color looks great, it's just oxydized.

If the stringer are solid and no soft spots in the floor, and the engine runs well, you picked a winner! Apholstry looks good!

Most of these boats get about 4g/hr of driving at speed or boarding. There are a couple of Conbrios here who use fat sacs.

Vents and rub rail should be available through skidim.com or Jim Jackson at Viper (see stickied thread with contact info). Good luck!!!!

mapleleaf
02-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Welcome.....Thats a diamond in the rough, like Mikey said if all the structure aND mech.'s are solid the rest is lipstick. You're fiberglass looks great I'd start with a wetsand and wax to bring it back to life...
Before you go too much further I'd give that trailer the once over, bearings, tires, bunks and wiring. You gotta get the boat to the water!!!!! All that is relatively cheap and easy to do on your own.....
Jim at Viper should have all the parts you need, keep working on that vinyl and she's gonna look great!
Get a service and repair thread started and think about doing a tuneup on the motor....there'll be lots of good advice here......

mapleleaf
02-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Gonna be playing with ballast this year....watch you nose these boats sit real low!!!!!!!

dhorningjr
02-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Thank you all for the great Reply's!!! I will be wet sanding the boat as soon as it warms a bit. I will be adding pictures as i make progress.

sybrmike
02-15-2010, 11:05 PM
A good wet sanding & polish can work wonders. Search here - a few really good threads. Paint jobs can get expensive.

If the engine runs well - let it run. Good maintenence could get you many years more service. Hint - If you choose to clean up the engine cosmetically, leave the engine cover (doghouse) cracked open a little bit during storage. Some air movement will cut down on the condensation that contributes to surface rust in the pics.

Original side vents were Attwood (Venturi model I think) - still available. Don't know about the rears?

Rubrail - Taco Marine seems to be standard in the business - how-to videos on youtube.

Check with Jim @ Viper for both.

Maple had good advice - a bad trailer can ruin a planned outing, or worse, the boat.

Sounds like a good foundation for a great looking boat. Good luck.

dhorningjr
02-16-2010, 01:03 AM
The Taco Marine on Youtube is great for rub rail installation! and yes it appears the outside vents are attwood. Im very excited to get the boat ready for the summer! I am located in texas. You are both right about the trailer i plan to pack bearings and replace tires! has anyone added the bed liner paint to their trailers? i thought it might be a long lasting solution. Great advice on cracking the engine cover i wish that would have been done prior to the rust buildup

mapleleaf
02-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Haven't done the bedliner deal, but need to revisit my fenders that I replaced last year and was thinking about it... I used marine ply for the steps and this was a mistake, going to replace it with some diamond plate and thought about bedliner coating to color match it to the trailer....A couple other guys have used it here with good results......
Jim sent me mt replacement rubrail, went on great with two guys and a heat gun.....
Wish the fiberglass on my boat looked as nice as yours....

87SunSportMikeyD
02-16-2010, 01:41 PM
If you are just looking for a Supra swoosh you can find them on ebay. Viper probably has them too. Just be sure you put it on the right way, I have seen one they put on backwards lol.

dhorningjr
02-16-2010, 05:17 PM
On the trailer i was considering Gator Grip for the fenders Etc.. for no slip.
you can find it at http://wakejunky.com/

dhorningjr
02-16-2010, 07:30 PM
These are my current upholstery plans for my 89 conbrio. Please tell me if you have any other ideas! Thanks.

86Pirata454
02-16-2010, 09:57 PM
looks good. your good with paint huh lol

mapleleaf
02-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Right there with ya..I went with a pearl and grey myself, still not finished, but its a good looking combo.....
Had some trouble with the rear bench even after templating the old stuff, gonna redo it when everything else is done...

Okie Boarder
02-22-2010, 02:44 PM
That looks pretty good. I like that scheme...seems nice but simple.