PDA

View Full Version : Subs under the driver helm

dusty2221
02-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Can you guys with subs under the driver side helm post some pics and give some details of the boxes you used? Have any of you mounted the sub just through the kick board at the the drivers feet, which seems like would be a "Free air environment" for the sub? I'm mainly looking to put one in that area an not have a box sticking out, or taking up any space under there. I've seen jonyb's gallery pics and it looks like a box is there with the removable kick part cut around the box.

I've searched here and there, including Moomba forums and have seen some pretty good ideas...but I figure it might be time for another "show your stuff thread"

Thanks!

jonyb
02-15-2010, 11:11 PM
That's exactly what I did, had enclosures in there. The first one had 2 JL 10W0's, and the second has a 12" Wet Sounds XXX. My boat is a 24' though, so it may be different. Just remove the flush panel and see how much space you have. Build an enclosure if you want it to sound like anything. Free-air is ok at best, and that's in very small print. When building a box, the Digital Designs guys say "space makes bass". That's a very true statement.

michael hunter
02-16-2010, 11:54 AM
My 2 amps and 10" sub is under the helm but is it a 89 . I dont think it will help you on a 2006.

TayTay
02-16-2010, 12:49 PM
I have a 2005 22SSV and this it what I did in mine. I does come out further that that kick board would have but it is enclosed. I didn't have a ton of room to go back ALL the way because my heater is installed back there. If you dont have a heater it may work better for you.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/TaylorAR/Boat/DSC05991.jpg

EarmarkMarine
02-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Here is a photo of a hidden enclosure with a 12-inch subwoofer and a 12-inch passive radiator. Everything is concealed. The floor hump is not modified. There is no loss of leg or foot room. It doesn't matter whether or not you have a heater. You can see the lower hump under the facade.

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/set24/large/item-3/p1020635.jpg

More often we do a bass-reflex side-firing 10-inch in this application on everything from a 22 to 24. The 21 has no hump so its very uncomplicated and straight forward. Not sure if the 20 has the hump or not. If you wouldn't mind, please clear that up.

David
Earmark Marine

dusty2221
02-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Hey David, I talked to you at the boat show this Saturday. We talked about adding a set of MB-8's to my existing Pro 80's and by the end of the convo you had me convinced I didnt need them!!

The 20 does not have the hump. The driver kick panel goes all the way to the floor. As far as what is behind it, I will find out this weekend and report back. I'd love to have something like hwat you've got in the Supra gallery, but I'm on a fairly tight budget for the sub so it looks like I will have to make my own. My concerin is the foot room. I want to make sure whatever I end up doing is either behind the kick panel with only the sub facing out, or even completely hidden like what you've shown.

87SunSportMikeyD
02-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Still have plenty of leg room. Marine Ply, capeted, unported box for a cheap 12". Sounds great to me.

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3519/medium/20090525_0587.JPG

EarmarkMarine
02-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Dusty,

I remember our conversation well. I was encouraging you to run a second pair of Pro80s instead of the MB-8s based on the ability to generate more output at wakeboarding range. With an EQ you can contour the four Pro80s to provide any type of sound shape for a variety of listening conditions. The inverse would not be true. This would also give you matching collars at no added expense.

If you don't have the elevated hump underdash then you've got lots of room and its a very inexpensive proposition. You just need a driver, a waterproof box and elevated mounting pads. Everything is concealed behind the factory facade and the subwoofer vents out over the top.

David
Earmark Marine

dusty2221
02-18-2010, 11:08 AM
I double checked last night, I was mistaken. My 20 does have the hump, but I removed the kick panel and you are right, there is a ton of room to put an elevated box back there facing the kick panel, and keep it 100% hidden.