PDA

View Full Version : Obd

86Pirata454
02-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Ive always wondered is the diagnostic hook up on newer boats like the OBD2 connector in cars? does anyone know what was used in 1997?

thescott
02-17-2010, 12:49 PM
I looked into this a little when I had a check engine light come on last year. Since I have an OBD reader, I was hoping I could check the codes myself. After some digging around, I found that Indmar had a specific code reader that was not OBD based. I think there was a thread about it...if I remember correctly, they use MEFI diagnostics and the code readers ain't cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/MEFI-Scan-Tune-mefi/dp/B000RBUDRC
No idea if this was the case for older boats though...

Try emailing Larry at Indmar. He's always been super quick to respond to my questions via email.
[email protected]

86Pirata454
02-18-2010, 01:07 AM
shit thats alot of cash lol. i was hoping it would be the regular 16 pin obd2 port being i have 2 snapon scanners and a code reader

jet
02-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Thats alot of money but! 1-trip to the shop for a code read and a repair would be more than that. If over a 3-year period it saves you 2-3 $500 trips to the dealer, all of the sudden..Its not so expensive. Jet

thescott
02-19-2010, 01:35 PM
^^ Good point. I bought a code reader to use on my truck. Spent about $150 for it...before I got that, brought the truck to the dealer to diagnose a surging issue and check engine light...$250 later they told me I needed to replace a $100 part in the emissions system...how'd they find out? ONE specific code thrown by the ECM. In the last 3 years, I've saved myself 3 trips reading codes and fixing issues myself. More than worth it in that case.

86Pirata454
02-20-2010, 01:02 AM
^^ Good point. I bought a code reader to use on my truck. Spent about $150 for it...before I got that, brought the truck to the dealer to diagnose a surging issue and check engine light...$250 later they told me I needed to replace a $100 part in the emissions system...how'd they find out? ONE specific code thrown by the ECM. In the last 3 years, I've saved myself 3 trips reading codes and fixing issues myself. More than worth it in that case.

ok, honestly i have to correct you on this one. I am a mechanic and own two snap on scanners (between me my dad and brother at our shop) and contrary to popular belief the codes set dont say "bad egr valve or crank sensor bad" its like crank sensor out of range which could be cause by many other things and to correctly diagnose the problem you need to spend an hour or two and check other possible problems like connections. for example we had a car in last week and there was a cod for high voltagefor the O2 sensor. by just looking at the code and data in the scanner most people would have put a new sensor in it but i checked it with a dmm and found that the computer was sending 12v to the sensor. so sometimes you will get lucky and change the right part. not trying to go off on a rant or anything but when people say that a code tells you the exact problem its irritating because its not that easy 90% of the time

thescott
02-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Yikes dude...sorry if I hit a sore spot there - "contrary to popular belief the codes set dont say "bad egr valve or crank sensor bad"" ...I could see that what I said seemed to suggest this...but no - that's not what I'm claiming.

Well...I feel a little called out...so I guess I should clarify the point I meant to make...:confused:
Of course it's not always that easy - hook up the reader, find 1 code instead of several and replace a part and bam-you're golden... Any mechanic (<I'm not) OR DIY'er (<I am) understands that I would think. One issue I had - truck threw one code - P0404 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Range/Performance) Which yes, could mean MANY things. However - 5 min search on good ol' google and I find the symptoms I'm having coupled with this code being thrown on my particular vehicle is a typical problem and = bad EGR valve. I took a gamble -replaced - and that was it. Was I lucky? Yup, and I've been lucky a couple other times too. Other times it's taken quite a bit of trial and error - and I've also failed completely with narrowing down to the actual issue.
Not trying to bash your craft and claim all you need is a code reader and you'll never have to go to a mechanic again - just sayin a code reader CAN HELP...coupled with some research/know how/and trial and error diagnostics of course. Having a starting point as to which system to begin diagnosing can be huge it CAN save you $$ in the long run.

86Pirata454
02-21-2010, 07:32 PM
yea i know what ur sayin. didnt really mean to call you out was kinda angry that night lol

docdrs
02-21-2010, 08:28 PM
I think this is what you want
http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm

I guess when my warranty runs out i may get one

thescott
02-21-2010, 08:43 PM
yea i know what ur sayin. didnt really mean to call you out was kinda angry that night lol

s'all Good-:cool:

Tim405
03-01-2010, 06:08 PM
I may be off base on this - but - I just bought a 1998 Supra Legacy. it has the 325 HP Indmar engine - which coincidentally looks EXACTLY - wiring, fuel inj, sensors etc - like the General motors Ramjet 350 MEFI crate engine I bought last May 2009 for an old truck I have...( 12 yrs later) - it came with a diagnostic reader for it - if it is the same - does anyone know if it would work??? and I aint kiddin - other than not being shiny aluminum and chrome like the GMPP engine I have - it is IDENTICAL. If so - maybe you could order the code reader from General Motors Performance parts and avoid the cost??? I know I'd be willing to attempt it...If anyone knows the similarity answer - I will get the part # for the reader to you all- and make a pdf of the diagnostic codes that came with it.