PDA

View Full Version : Sub and Amp Compatability

dusty2221
02-17-2010, 11:09 AM
I think this will be a good combo, but I wanted to see what you guys thought. Check out the specs of the sub and amp and tell me if it will be ok. My question is this, It will only be powering one sub, and it is a DVC Sub. From what I understand, the amp will see the DVC as a 2 ohm load and will put out a constant 500 watts RMS, but the sub is rated at 400. Is this ok or should I be looking at a dual 2 ohm sub to make it end up 4 at the amp?? I'd like some help in understanding this stuff if you guys don't mind.

Subwoofer
Size 10"
Voice Coil(s) Dual (2 voice coils)
Impedance (per voice coil) 4 ohms
Peak Power Handling 800 watts
RMS Power Handling 400 watts
Sensitivity 85.5 dB
Frequency Response 25 - 500 Hz

Amp
Amplifier Class D
Number of Channels 1 - Mono
RMS Power (4 ohms) 350 watts x 1 channel
RMS Power (2 ohms) 500 watts x 1 channel
RMS Power (1 ohm) N/A
Bridged RMS Power N/A
Total RMS Power Output 500 watts
Peak Power Output 600 watts x 1 channel
Total Peak Power Output 600 watts
Maximum Input Gauge Size 4
Minimum Impedance Unbridged 2 ohms
Minimum Impedance Bridged N/A

Built-in Crossover Low-pass (LP)
High-Pass Crossover Frequency N/A
Low-Pass Crossover Frequency 40 - 500 Hz
Subsonic Filter 20 Hz
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 80 dB

cmtaylor777
02-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Dang Man!!! No Replies for my man Dusty???

You should PM JonyB or David at Earmark. Both would know if that is the way to go.

dusty2221
02-22-2010, 04:44 PM
David and I have been exchanging some Pm's back and forth. I'm suprised no one responded here though. My main question was how to read the specs on an amp and sub and make sure they are a good match.

Newty
02-28-2010, 01:05 AM
The biggest thing, is to buy quality stuff. Always try to match the amp rms output with the sub rms requirments.
Remember when you have a dual voice coil ie. dual 4ohm sub, when you hook it up you will have a 2 ohm load. So make sure your amp is good down to 2 ohms and is a mono amp.
If you try putting a dual 4 ohm on a two channel amp and try to bridge it that will make it 1ohm and more than likely your amp won't like that.
From the looks of your requirements I would suggest a kicker 10" L5 dual 4ohm with a kicker 400.1 or 500.1. For the money kicker is the best bang for the buck. Provided you build the box properly you will be more than pleased with the results.