PDA

View Full Version : prop size on older boats

Kip
02-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Hey what prop size are you guys running? Also what is your WOT speed? I have a 88 Mariah with the standard 351. My top end is 39 and I would like a little more top end for footing but I don't want to lose too much low end since we mainly wakeboard.

Right now I have a Michigan Ni-Bral 3 blade cupped prop. It is a 14 LH 12.

andyzarkovich
02-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Call Jim at Acme Propellers... he is the man

1-888-661-ACME

There is actually alot that goes into finding out what propeller will best suit you and he has alot of knowledge... helped me with my 89 sunsport

jet
02-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Its best you choose which one you want to do more of. Footing?? Really..people still do that? it was cool in the 90's! lol I decided on wakeboarding. I pulled the four barrel arms off so it wouldn't try and kick in out of the hole, and then I bought the BIGGEST prop I could put on for pushing weight. 14x14x.105 cup it comes out of the hole at about 10% throttle. I call it the STUMP PULLER. lol

Kip
02-18-2010, 05:22 PM
The boat will probably be used 60% for wakeboarding, 30% for skiing, and 10% for footing. Just would like to keep all options available.

I would still like to know what you guys are using and your top speed so I can get an idea of what/ if I want to buy anything different.

beast 496
02-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Kip, your engine is built to run WOT at up to 4,600 rpm. What Rpm are you running now? And yes Barefooting is cool. Not many can do it, I guess the ones who can't, wakeboard off of their roll bars. lol Al

87SunSportMikeyD
02-19-2010, 02:40 PM
You should be able to get a prop that is moderatly agressive. It will make pulling over 1k lbs ballast MUCH easier, but still give you enough speed for a deepwater slalom start. Not sure about a deep barefoot start. It does have a TON of low end power, so I think it would get you up, but I'm not REALLY sure if it would give you enough top end speed. Changing props is pretty easy if you have a prop puller. Highly recommended.

I go through nettleprops.com and call them, good pricing and JT is an expert.

Kip
02-20-2010, 02:27 AM
Beast, I think WOT was around 4400 rpm but I am not positive.

Mikey, thanks for the info and the recommendation.

I also did some major scum removal along with buffing and waxing the bottom. A few different people told me I might pick up a couple of mph there. I find it hard to believe but I guess some thick scum adds up to a lot of drag.