PDA

View Full Version : Trailer toolbox

jonyb
02-19-2010, 06:38 AM
I've been kicking around the idea of mounting a diamond-plate toolbox somewhere around the tongue of my trailer. It would probably be behind the bowstop, in the center just behind the winch. The problem is that it would have to be completely waterproof because that much of the tongue goes in the water when it's go time. Custom brackets would be built and welded on, no big deal.

Has anyone added anything like this? I'd store a bottle jack, tire-changing tools, extra lug-nuts, maybe even the ball and mount for the hitch when it's parked.

sybrmike
02-19-2010, 10:55 AM
I've been mulling over the same idea since I'll be repairing my trailer in a few weeks (new jack, brakes, winch, lights, etc.) - good place for tow straps too. I've got a hinged drop down tow support bar on my center beam, so it'll have to mount on the side rail near the new spare tire carrier.

I'm thinking ghetto black plastic tool box, gasketed & ubolted from the bottom to the frame. I'd be careful with the "completely waterproof" - the components you listed carry a decent amount of thermal mass & may be prone to rusting in an enclosed environment. Be sure to open up & breathe once home.

jonyb
02-19-2010, 03:46 PM
I'd be careful with the "completely waterproof" - the components you listed carry a decent amount of thermal mass & may be prone to rusting in an enclosed environment. Be sure to open up & breathe once home.

Absolutely. I do that with the boat anyway, taking cushions out, opening panels. I can't stand when it develops a wet smell.

Some of the trailer tongue boxes would be ideal, but way too big for what I need. I'm gonna look around locally. We've got a Tractor Supply Co, Lowe's, Home DepOt, and Harbor Freight, but that's about it. Probably not much in either.

KG's Supra24
08-23-2010, 09:34 AM
jonyb, did you ever come up with anything for this? I wouldnt mind doing something like this. Just emailed owen at boatmate for a spare tire mount.

rludtke
08-23-2010, 12:16 PM
This would be a handy place to lock up the boat cover to, if it's big enough.

03bamaGT
08-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Our local Tractor Supply has trailer boxes that are triangular...put one on my car trailer. Might be something to consider.

Blackntan90
08-23-2010, 08:43 PM
I was thinking somthing very much like that, but I was just going to weld some expanded steel mesh under the triangle under the bowstop- if that makes any sense? I thought I could toss my wheel chocks in there and throw a strap on them so they dont bounce out!

mapleleaf
08-23-2010, 10:03 PM
I must have missed this thread, I've been wanting to do something like a tool box all yr. Getting kinda frustrated with the Makita bag full of jacks and lug wrenches. Found a Fat Max plastic box at the depot I was considering. Would a plastic box u bolted to the trailer be stronger enough??
Something like this.....
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=900267&Ntt=900267&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

jonyb
08-24-2010, 12:06 AM
I never did it guys. The box I was looking for would only be big enough for a bottle jack, 1/2" ratchet drive and sockets, wheel chocks, and maybe the hitch from the receiver. Anything much bigger and it's too crowded.

Not really too worried about it now. I picked up a different truck last week that has a 90 gallon aux fuel tank and toolbox built in, so it's plenty big for all the extra crap.