PDA

View Full Version : Best place for amps??????????

cmtaylor777
02-20-2010, 01:26 PM
OK Boys. Little help!!!

I'm getting restless. Thinking about moving my amps around and making a cleaner look. Want to hide all wires and secure the amps in a nice looking set up. Any suggestions??? Pics would be great. I would love to have it professionally done but I was just laid off so I can't justify spending the cash. Just want to do something to take my mind off of my situation. I'm sure you guys have some nice systems out there. Let me see!!! Need ideas to bounce around.

Like always....Thanks in advance!

tg0824SSVGG
02-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Did you see this thread from earlier this week?

This is where and how my amps are mounted (mine from factory)

http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=5519

docdrs
02-20-2010, 03:00 PM
i don't see any pics of yours Todd

EarmarkMarine
02-20-2010, 03:18 PM
We've got around 30 examples with photos in our Supra gallery (http://earmarkcaraudio.com/install_supras.asp).

Its best to locate all amplifiers in the port locker close to your batteries.

You'll need marine-grade non-mildew rubber-backed carpet, solvent-based birch plywood(no MDF or water-based adhesive construction), polyester or epoxy fiberglass resin, a small amount of KingStrarboard or HDPE polymer risers/pads, possibly an aluminum 'L' bracket or two, contact glue, staples and some stainless steel hardware.

There are alternate methods and materials but if you execute the above correctly, your amp rack will out last your boat. All of these materials are very affordable in the quantities you'll need and all materials are readily and locally available to you.

David
Earmark Marine

cmtaylor777
02-20-2010, 05:14 PM
TG

I did see your post. Great job by the way. Have you finished it up yet?

I am thinking of making mine look a lot like yours. The only difference will be that I have my 2 subs in there as well. Starting to run out of room.

David

I am going to check yours out now. I bought some things from you guys a while back. Just a few minor parts. I also talked with you at the boat show. You guys are a lot of help.

tg0824SSVGG
02-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Sorry Doc, I meant to say that mine are like what Fman did, but from the factory!

tg0824SSVGG
02-20-2010, 06:19 PM
CM - that's Fman's work, not mine. Mine are similar to his, but they came that way
from Skiers Choice. Didn't mean to confuse.

cmtaylor777
02-20-2010, 07:14 PM
oh, I got ya.

Well.....Nice work FMAN

jonyb
02-20-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm not gonna post mine again as it's been posted in countless threads here, unless you want me to. My amps are mounted to the back of the bow seating inside the console and I used a piece of 1/4" masonite to make it flat, instead of curve around for where it follows the seating.

Port side, as David explained, but if you're careful with your boat then you'll be okay with MDF and normal carpet. I always recommend OEM carpet so it will match.

The cupholders on teh deck of my boat weren't sealed, and a drain wasn't ran to them. And from the factory, the amps and electronics were directly below that cupholder. Since I rebuilt the stereo I ran a drain line to the cupholder. Now, nothing gets wet inside that console. EVER. I've been caught out in storms, and the boat has sat outside during storms. There ARE places that stay dry on boats.

cmtaylor777
02-21-2010, 12:17 PM
jonyb

You don't have to post yours again. I would like to see how you did it though. I will search your threads and see if I can find it. I'm curious how a pro like yourself would do it.

Thanks

tg0824SSVGG
02-21-2010, 01:02 PM
CM --- start here, there are others, but if you want to see what John did, step by
step - it's probably the best:

http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=3792

tg0824SSVGG
02-21-2010, 01:04 PM
oh yea, and John ... now that I look at that series of photos, I am reminded of your
lighting under the swim platform -- how did that turn out once you were in the water?

jonyb
02-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Not worth a crap Bub.... I plan to redo it soon. The problem was the hyped-up swim platform bracket connections. Not such a good connection. The lights just barely glow in our dirty water. Still pretty cool when they'd work.

As for the amp install, that's basically what I did. The Masonite is covered in black carpet, amps are screwed to it. I only did that to make the surface flat. The top left of the piece doesn't have anything screwed to it because that's where it curves, and that masonite isn't strong enough to support the weight of anything. The 2 Syn1's are on the panel, the Syn6 is mounted flat to the hump, and the Syn4 is on the right side. It's just a simple install that puts the amps out of the way so they don't get hit with anything. All the wires have loops and are screwed down so everything in there is very tight.

I had thought about changing it up a little, mounting the amps on the gunwhales and doing something a little more custom with LED's, but it wont be this year. I've already got too many other installs lined up and my boat heads to the dealer for lots of work here in a few weeks. I did sell my Pro485 and will either add another pair of Pro80's or a pair of MB-8's. I'm leaning towards the MB-8's....

Taylor if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

cmtaylor777
02-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys. I will start here.

bansheez71
03-17-2010, 02:40 AM
I had my speakers and amps all installed by Audio Integrations. (www.audiointegrations.net) They did an awesome job. They ended up building a new carpet backed board under the driver cockpit area behind where your feet set and mounted the three amps there so they are out of sight out of mind. They also put a sub behind that and one on the other side in the storage locker under the glovebox. It works great! I also had them install a second battery with a shutoff switch/toggle to run the speakers so that if I am on an island rocking the music and the battery dies, I can still start the boat on the main battery... it is a pretty clutch setup.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Sounds great and welcome to the boards, you know the price of entry - PICS!