PDA

View Full Version : Flipped Out!

Oilguy
02-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Well I just flipped the boat back over and put it back on the trailer!! I thought I was going to die >> It was one of those "Don't try this at home" and "Hold my beer and watch this" moments wrapped up in one...

I had my 2 daughters and wife help me watch things ;)

I used a front end loader and a engine lift to lift it by the rings and tipped it >> About half way through the engine lift started leaning like it wanted to fall over :eek: SO I had the wife put a bunch of old tires on the bottom side so that if it did fall over it would have a soft landing...
It did. :eek:

But luckily the tires worked perfect and didn't even leave a scratch. Wife was a little freaked out (Me too)

Then jacked it up and set it right on the trailer...
Up to 50% done!!

jaywidhalm
02-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Sweet, good luck with the rest of the project.

Okie Boarder
02-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Yikes...that would be scary!

Do you have any pics of your progress?

dusty2221
02-22-2010, 01:49 PM
^ +1 I'd love to see some progress pics

Oilguy
02-22-2010, 08:43 PM
It was!

I have pic's but my browser keeps crashing when I try to upload them... I can't tell you how many times I have tried.

It looked just like csuggs boat when I started >> I am doing some pretty crazy mods
I covered and smoothed out the cleat pockets and I am installing popups... I covered and smoothed out the lift ring in the rear and took out the one in the front (Who uses those anyway?)
I cut out the old dash and I am building my own that will be more modern rounded style.
I am building a wrap around seat for the front and putting the dash access in the side over the cooler.

The boat was in very rough shape when I got ($500 and now looking back he should have paid me to haul it away) it but it is coming along >> and I have pic's >> I will find a way to get them uploaded eventually.

csuggs
02-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Sounds cool - can't wait to see the pics and the mods.

Salty87
02-23-2010, 11:07 AM
video?? that's got youtube written all over it, lol. not that i'd ever want to have to do that...

what were you doing to the bottom of the hull?

you should make it a v drive while you're in there. didn't someone post pics of that with a nautique 2001?

Oilguy
02-23-2010, 12:12 PM
There was a crack in the Left rear bottom... and at the right side front at the bottom by the V >> The PO "Tried" to repair it but it was aweful... They just put bondo in it and called it good... I ground it all back out and repaired it right.

I actually thought about making it a V-drive >> I watch the Salvage Direct website and every once in a while they have some inboards that went rolling down the highway that go really cheap... I thought about getting one for the engine and drive... electronics... gauges.... But of course when I was at the planning stage there wasn't any available.
There was a 06 Malibu on there last week that just had some Hull damage and went pretty high, And there is a 98 Mastercraft on there now but it isn't a V-drive Plus it is broken up pretty bad http://www.salvagedirect.com/os/item_images/257642/images/MVC-004.jpg
http://www.salvagedirect.com/asp/viewitem.asp?itemid=735719

Oh and the other thing I am doing is getting rid of all the railings... Front SS ones (if anyone is interested in them) and the rear Teak rails. >> I might do some interior trimming with some of the wood to give a little richer feel but it isn't going to look anything like it did.

Oilguy
02-23-2010, 02:50 PM
This is hopefully what my boat will look like when I get finished

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab360/speeronline/Supra%20SunSport%20Project/th_SUPRA.jpg (http://s879.photobucket.com/albums/ab360/speeronline/Supra%20SunSport%20Project/?action=view&current=SUPRA.jpg)

I am going with an updated color palate to give it a modern look.

dusty2221
02-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Can't wait to see some pics! If you would like you can email them to me and I will post em up for you.