PDA

View Full Version : Depth Finder

Boiler with a Supra
04-16-2004, 11:57 AM
I want to add a depth finder to my 88' Comp.

Instrucitons or suggestions would be appreciated!

safetybob3
05-03-2004, 01:18 PM
I installed one on my TS6M with little problem. Priority is to find the water line and select the location for the line to pass above the water line. I mounted my pickup towards the outside (towards the center of the transom provides to much turbulence). The unit is mounted above the instrument cluster on the dash next to the ski mirror. I used a fish finder/depth finder. Cheap and better results than the circular depth reader.

The only problem I occassinally have is at speeds greater than 30-35 as the depth finder has a hard time picking up the depth. Other than that, it is very handy. Mine is flush with the bottom, so you have to remember that the depth reading is beneath that.
I had to remove the engine blower vents at the top of the transom to allow me to fish the line around. I used an electricians tape to run down the side and attached the pickup line to it and pulled it through. The hardest part was reattaching the vent hose back to those vent covers.

Other than those experiences, follow the instructions and don't forget to seal up your holes.

Good luck.

Bob

Salty87
05-04-2004, 04:01 PM
i went with a humingbird depth finder, thru-hull....i didn't want to drill any holes. it works well most of the time, for some reason it doesn't work so great in water less then 2 feet. but, other than that, no problems. i might have the keel offset messed up, i didn't bother setting it.

if you go with a thru-hull type, you need to find a spot on the hull where there isn't much turbulence underneath. mine is mounted to the starboard side of the drive shaft about a 18" before the shaft exits the hull (going from memory but it's def. on the starboard side away from the raw water intake).

the transducer has to send through water, it won't work otherwise. so, you need to get some water in the bilge to test it to make sure you've got a good spot. water in a baggie with the transducer works pretty well. if not, turn your bilge pump off or something and get enough water to cover the transducer. this won't work in the driveway, there has to be water under the hull. once you find a good spot, you can epoxy it or silicone it down.

i took the clock out of my dash and put the gauge there, it was easy but uncomfortable to reach. just takes time.

good luck

cryonchick
05-04-2004, 07:48 PM
Mine is the same, a thru-hull Hummingbird, but mine is installed to the starboard side of the pylon right near the centerline. Works great unless you go shallower then the alarm setting. By the way Salty87, do you know how to set the alarm depth on the finder?
I'll second the notion about not having to drill holes....

Good luck....

Salty87
05-05-2004, 10:53 AM
cryon-

nope, i didn't have much luck with the seetings and didn't want any alarms going off. i remember cycling through the settings and once they were all off i left them alone.

06-08-2004, 08:35 PM
I have another location to ponder. I put my through hull sending unit directly under the transmission. The only problem I have found with this location is with picking up details on the bottom. I search for brush piles. I had to set the unit on its strongest signal to get good definition to pick up debris on the bottom. As far as recording the depth that has not been a problem on any setting the unit has been put on.

AJones
06-08-2004, 10:40 PM
I'm not a Supra owner but its not too different to install in any boat. Check out the attached link on the Moomba BB. I've got some fairly good tips on installing the tranducer in my Boomerang. The same tips worked on several previous bass boats.

Link to Moomba BB (http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/read.php?TID=932)

SupraNut
06-09-2004, 09:50 PM
I mounted my transducer similar to Salty87 and also removed the clock to have an "in-dash" depth finder.

Albert Girardot
06-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Stick it in the center in front of the ski pole. Depth reading at the water line is useless. Depth at your greatest draft (center of boat) is useful info.
DG 88 Comp

dndsam
06-16-2004, 10:09 PM
Hummingbird is the only one to buy. I have installed one in my boat and one in my brother-in-laws and I have had no issues. I installed mine behind the engine but in front of where the shaft exists the hull, opposite side of the boat from the water intake and about 2 inches off of the center of the boat. Make sure you are not positioned on any strakes to avoid any turbulance. A few schools of thought on the position. I want to know how deep I am when I am running so by putting it towards the rear of the boat you get a more true depth of water. On the other hand, installing it up by the pylon will give you that much more advance notice before you rip off your underwater water gear. :) You will encounter less of a reading towards the front of the boat because of the turbulance and the transducer will read air and break the signal.

If you get the through hull transducer, you do not have to drill holes!

Good luck.

Salty87
06-18-2004, 03:07 PM
don't go in front of the engine. if you ever load up with ballast or have a bunch of folks in the back, your transducer could be out of the water giving you no reading at all. besides, on plane, the stern of the boat sits deeper than the v of the hull up front.

azcummins
06-20-2004, 01:37 AM
Funny that this thread is up...I just installed my hummingbird one today. I had already pulled the gas tank out to replace the baffles so I went for the cheap transom mount transducer. I mounted it between the speedo pickup and the transom support. I've yet to get the boat in the water yet, but hopefully it works!

06-25-2004, 10:09 AM
For these older boats is everyone just taking out another guage to place it? Anyother suggestions or options is appreciated. I just got the humingbird yesterday and I am looking forward to the weekend project.

Boiler with a Supra
06-25-2004, 10:30 AM
Is there any recoomendations for location of the guage? Is the clock the easiest and does it give enough space? I got my humingbird yesterday and plan on installing this weekend. In these older boats there is no open spots so I am trying to see if it is worth taking a guage out or another type of mount. All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

SupraNut
06-27-2004, 06:38 AM
Replace the clock and wear your watch.

supracomp99
07-13-2004, 11:28 PM
SafetyBob,

What type of fishfinder did you install? Also, size is it compared to a circular gauge?

I've been intrigued with the fish finders because they show the terrain of the bottom of the lake/ river. I'm currently skiing in a new area, and the water is high right now. I don't know what the river will be like when the water drops. I also don't have a depth finder installed right now.

Thanks.

buckwyatt
08-29-2005, 12:26 AM
If you want a depth finder because you wacked a prop, and don't want that happening again, there is no depth finder that will really help you.

If you want to know how deep you were when you hit something, they are good for that, but they do not work fast enough, or in front of you enough, to do what you want.

Just my 2 cents, take with a handful of salt