PDA

View Full Version : Suggs' 86 Sunsport

csuggs
02-22-2010, 09:54 AM
This thread is a continuation of the thread from the General Chat section titled "86 Sunsport Makeover". In that thread there was a lot of discussion about different options and ideas for my rebuild along with documentation of the tear-down process. This thread will be used to document the "putting-back-together" and repairing part of the rebuild process - up to completion. I'll share as much detail as I can for those of you who are doing similar projects yourself. Mine is being done by Jim Jackson at Viper Customs in Maryville, TN. Enjoy . . .

csuggs
02-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Pics of the deck after wet-sanding and buffing

Okie Boarder
02-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Looking good. Nice and shiny. Have you gotten any new pics of the bottom progress?

csuggs
02-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Looking good. Nice and shiny. Have you gotten any new pics of the bottom progress?

I hope to have some very soon. Jim said that the outher stringers were done and the main stringers cut out and going in. He thinks they may have the stringers and floor done this week. I will post the pics as soon as I have them.

jasonba1
02-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Clint saw your boat today its looking awesome, gelcoat looks almost brand new

csuggs
02-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Clint saw your boat today its looking awesome, gelcoat looks almost brand new

Thanks Jason - I can't wait to see it!

csuggs
02-23-2010, 10:08 AM
The stripes on my boat are grey. I'm going to keep with similar design on the outside but change the colors. We'll keep the Supra wave and stripe on the water line, but they will be grey to match the painted stripes (I was never crazy about the light blue) - then I'm replacing the rainbow stripes with a single orange stripe. Jim is working on some ideas of possibly putting a Supra logo on the side - more to come on that. The interior will be mostly a very light color with just a hint of grey and grey and orange accents.

Salty87
02-23-2010, 11:17 AM
the suspense

it's gonna look great.

is there an estimated completion date yet?

csuggs
02-23-2010, 11:20 AM
I expect that by this time next month she'll be about finished!

chautauquasun
03-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Clint

the gel coat looks brand new. I am going to have mine wet sanded too. Just took mine over to Chris at CK Fiberglass in Beaver Falls PA. He is going to get started on it within the next week. I will post pics in my rebuild thread. I had hoped to get mine going a little sooner but the 35 inches of snow slow me down a bit.

csuggs
03-05-2010, 04:04 PM
New pics of stringers. The two outboard stringers are already glassed-in and the starboard side main stringer is in place (port side is still original).

csuggs
03-05-2010, 04:16 PM
More pics of the deck. Jim cut out the cooler to make more storage space and he also cut out and opened-up the storage area behind the OB seat. Lots more storage :)

Also, the second pic shows the nose of the deck that has been refurbished - it was banged up when I gotthe boat, either from hitting a dock or maybe from hitting the trailer when loading - can't tell it's ever been damaged now!

csuggs
03-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Trailer - Jim is doing some work on the trailer so that it "fits" my boat better. Part of that means trimming the inner fender so that the boat can be lowered between the fenders. I am thinking of having the trailer painted now while the boat is off. What color do you guys think for the trailer - black or grey to match the stripe on the boat? (pic of boat below for reference) Black would be easier to touch-up later, but I'm not sure it would look as good as the grey. (The trailer is white now)

Okie Boarder
03-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Looking good. It's interesting to see they build the main stringer and engine bump out as one section.

What's the pink colored filler they used to bed in the stringer with?

I'm kind of surprised they notched the stringers. Maybe it makes it easier to put the cross braces in.

I vote for grey on the trailer.

dusty2221
03-05-2010, 04:56 PM
I say grey for looks, but then again, black is sooo easy for touchups.

sybrmike
03-05-2010, 07:06 PM
I vote black. Granted grey would look really sharp with the boat on top, but that really only counts while going down the road. Black goes with everything & second the touch-up-ability.

ngavchris
03-05-2010, 11:05 PM
I think the black would look great: however, it would show every scratch. Hard to keep those feet off the trailer when the kids are trying to reach in over the side to grab things. I was also surprised to see the stringers being notched. I thought in the forum others have said that was a problem that Supra did on early model boats.
Project is looking great. I know its killing you to have all this work done and not be close enought to run by and personally inspect everyday. Going to be better than a new boat soon. How much longer do you think it will take to get it finished? I know your watching the calendar closely as the spring starts to roll in. Did you ever make a decision on the tower? Does Jim custom make his towers? I have a 97' Sunsport and would like to add a tower. Keep posting the pictures.

mapleleaf
03-06-2010, 01:20 AM
So much to catch up on here these days!!!
I think a proper introduction would be fitting here Suggs, meet your new boat. The one you bought used a 1 and half ago... I can only only imagine how pumped you guys are to see it back at home....
Having repainted my trailer, black ( for convenience sake) my vote would be for grey if it ties into the boat at all... Any colour matching always works out.....

csuggs
03-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the input guys! I'm kind of leaning toward the grey for looks, and I'm thinking it wouldn't be too bad for touch-up. First I'll get a price to be sure that I want to have it done now - gotta watch those dollars!

Chris - Jim has a guy that makes custom towers for him. They got together and drew up plans for a tower - I told him that I wanted one that looked like it belonged on my boat so this one will have more angles and less curves to match my windshield.

I don't know about notching the stringers, but I have faith in Jim that he knows what he's doing so I'm not worried about it. He's built and refurbished enough boats that I'm not going to second guess that kind of stuff . . .

I still don't have a good idea of a finish date - but I'm sure it will be ready before I am ready to use it. I do wish I could pop-in to Jim's shop once in a while for a looksy though!

Thanks again for all the comments and compliments! Good crowd here on the forum!

dshaff24
03-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Id vote Black for the trailer, Goes with everything and easy to touch up, Or the actaully stripe color of your boat! Oh and everything is looking great, Can't wait to see the finished product

csuggs
03-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I can't wait to see it either. With the weather getting better it's really difficult to be patient! If I go with the grey trailer, it will be the same color as the stripe on the boat.
I talked to Jim on Friday and he said they should be installing the floor and carpet this week and possibly the deck. Then it's a new interior and tower.

csuggs
03-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Updates - Floor and exhaust.

chautauquasun
03-18-2010, 04:49 PM
will the flappers be louder than the Supertraps? I have the option of going wth flapers but have always liked the look of the traps. Not sure of the noise difference too? I like lowering mine just enough on the lift to get the water pickup into the water with the exhaust out when I start it...love the sound. But when you are out on the water for a long time it can get a little loud.

dshaff24
03-18-2010, 10:29 PM
will the flappers be louder than the Supertraps? I have the option of going wth flapers but have always liked the look of the traps. Not sure of the noise difference too? I like lowering mine just enough on the lift to get the water pickup into the water with the exhaust out when I start it...love the sound. But when you are out on the water for a long time it can get a little loud.

Super Traps are like mufflers and the flaps are like like Straight pipes! From What I read on a few different forums the flaps just get a little louder

ngavchris
03-18-2010, 11:10 PM
We lost one of our traps years ago. Ran with the open pipe until I could get a new one. Much louder. Sounds great though. You could hear it a mile down the lake.

csuggs
03-19-2010, 08:34 AM

Yes, the flaps will be a little louder because they do not create any backpressure like the trapps do. But that's not why I'm converting. The reason for the conversion is that the trapps were one of the primary culprits of water leakage below the deck - because they don't seal as good as the flappers. At least that's what I've been told. I like the look of the trapps too, but it's not worth the chance of more water getting below the deck.

chautauquasun
03-19-2010, 09:43 AM
yeah...that is what i was told too regarding the leaking. Now I have to think about that. Maybe I should go with the flaps. ugh

87SunSportMikeyD
03-19-2010, 10:00 AM
From my understanding it is not the actual supra traps that leak, but the bolts that holds the inner-most ring to the transom. There are 6 bolts directly into the transom wood. I <3 my Fresh Air Exhaust!

csuggs
03-19-2010, 10:12 AM
My understanding is that the Supertrapps leaked in the inside, where the tubes slide into one another. The 3" exhaust pipe slid over the Supertrapp end and the joint had to be sealed regularly or it would leak. The 6 screws that hold the flange on the transom are actually less prone to leaking than the metal-on-metal joint between the pipe and the Supertrapp end. At least that's how mine appeared when I took it apart last spring.

Salty87
03-19-2010, 11:00 AM
you pretty much nailed it with that description. once you take the trapps off...i've always heard them called supra trapps....anyway, once you take the trapps off there's a metal/metal seam about 2" up the exhaust that needs to be periodically inspected or re-sealed.

i've never taken apart flappers. how are they different? they still connect to the exhaust pipe somehow.

csuggs
03-19-2010, 12:06 PM
The flappers that Jim put in mine are connected with hose and double-clamped. He is leaving the floor out under the fuel tank so that I can get to them if there ever is a problem.

Salty87
03-19-2010, 12:14 PM
i wonder if he had to modify your exhaust pipes. you had trapps before?

with the supra trapps, the exhaust pipe ends at the transom so there wouldn't be anything to attach the clamps of the flapper to.

i wish i had left access to the interior of the transom like that, mainly to get to the rudder assembly easier.

csuggs
03-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Yes, he modified the pipes - just cut them off shorter. The flapper assembly goes through the transom with a pipe stub that the hose is attached to.

chautauquasun
03-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Clint

Quick question for you. Are you replacing your rubrail? Jim got me some quotes for an all black and the aluminum with the black insert like the original. The price is almost double for the aluminum with the insert. What do you plan to do?

csuggs
03-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Dan -

I believe what we decided on was a black rubrail with stainless insert - no rubber. I don't know the price, it's just all part of the "package".

chautauquasun
03-21-2010, 01:18 PM
I think that is correct. Jim had to really search to find the aluminum and when he did find it...it was a lot more expensive than i thought it would be. Mine is pretty hacked up and dented due to the PO. I could reuse it but know I will be disappointed with how it will look. I also know mine currently is not continuous, I have a joint just behind the window on both sides and one at the very back. So I think the one I have has 3-4 pieces to it.

chautauquasun
03-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Dan -

I believe what we decided on was a black rubrail with stainless insert - no rubber. I don't know the price, it's just all part of the "package".

Hmmm now you have me thinking about the stainless insert. You and Jim are just a plethora of new ideas.

That exhuast has me thinking, I like the look of it. It looks very clean and modern not like the old flaps and maybe safer to use than putting the old traps back on. DO you know if those are used on other new boats? Malibu, Mastercraft or Supra?

Salty87
03-22-2010, 01:00 AM
i never checked rubrail prices thru a shop. i ordered mine thru iboats and the shipping for stainless was brutal on top of the SS expense. from what i recall, SS rails ship in 20' lengths = $$$ in shipping. rubber rails are rolled up and come in a box about the size of a brief case.

Okie Boarder
03-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Clint...looking good. I need to hop to it so I can catch up...LOL!

My exhaust set up is similar to what Viper did for you except mine actually has mufflers between the pipe and flappers. Mine was originally built with the space under the gas tank open, like Viper is doing on yours, to leave access to those connections. I'm doing the same as I put it back together.

csuggs
03-23-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm getting the same rub rail that Jason (jasonba1) had on his Comp that he recently sold. I didn't think that much about it when Jim said that's what he preferred - fine with me, I said.

csuggs
03-25-2010, 08:25 AM
I've got a free weekend so my son and I are going to Maryville on Saturday to see Jim and check out the progress on the boat. I can't wait to see her, but I know it's going to be hard to leave to come home without my baby! Maybe it won't be too long now . . . .

jasonba1
03-25-2010, 01:56 PM
awesome clint, are you staying in town or heading straight back? If I dont go to my farm in ky this weekend we will try and meet up for sure. Also saw where you IM me on facebook but I had no idea how to reply back ha ha sorry. Stay in touch and becareful on the trip down

csuggs
03-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Hey Clint,
sent you a PM. can you check it before heading to out? thanks.

say hey to my baby for me.

Sorry I didn't see your PM before leaving yesterday, but I responded to it this morning.

csuggs
03-29-2010, 02:10 PM
I'll post a few updates from my visit to Viper Customs last Saturday.

There's a picture of the new exhaust flaps installed. Also, the pic of the opposite side of the transom shows where they left the outboard stringer short - not tied into the transom. They will install drain tubes and then tie the stringer into the transom for strength.

csuggs
03-29-2010, 02:20 PM
In these pictures, you can see the area that Jim opened up for storage below where my cooler used to be. The batteries will be mounted along side the new storage "hole" and Jim will provide access to this area for skis or wakeboard, etc. There is a drain plug in the bulkhead between this area and the bilge.
The "spots" on the floor are where they drilled through the new floor and injected flotation foam. After the foam expanded and set-up, they trimmed the excess from the holes and glassed over them. All sealed up! :)
I think there is a little more work to do in these areas and another coat of bilge paint will be applied.

csuggs
03-29-2010, 02:30 PM
The upholstery pics are pretty self explanatory - what you see is what you get. I told Jim I wanted to use the original light grey along with some medium grey and a little splash of orange, so this is what he did. I love it! Haven't seen the orange yet but I'm sure that I'll be happy :)
There still a little work to do trimming around the opening in the motor cover. (notice there are no longer any cup holders or "drink warmers" as Jim call them on the motor box) Also no more teak on the motor box. The lighter gray material is smooth and the darker material has a grain texture to it. See the stripe on the motor box? There's a matching one going down the middle of the captain's seat!

jasonba1
03-29-2010, 04:09 PM
looking good clint I hvent seen your interiot i like that and the orange will really make it pop. Sorry we couldnt have met up I went to ky to work on my farm puttin out food plots and I wasnt real sure when you were coming in. Stay in touch buddy

dusty2221
03-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Wow, that looks great! I bet those pics put Okie in overdrive!

csuggs
03-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Orange you glad you got to see your boat? Exactly where will the "orange" be?

There will be some orange on the side panels - no more teak there either. There will also be an orange stripe at the waterline on the hull.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Clint just a thought but maybe he could rig up some kind of bolster seat on your drivers seat? Always wanted that... :) Looks AWESOME!~!!

Okie Boarder
03-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Clint,

Looking good. I just talked to Jim about my carpet while I was looking at these. I told him how nice everything looks.

Dusty,

You're right. I'm not too far behind where Clint's boat is. By this week the cross braces will be in. By next week all the foam and floor should be done and I'll be looking at putting in carpet. I am planning to put the top cap back on the weekend of 4/17-18. It's looking very feasible.

csuggs
04-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Clint-
Looking forward to seeing your boat tomorrow.

Are you picking up your boat?

87SunSportMikeyD
04-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks those are really good ideas for raising the seat. I dont know why I didn't think of a telescoping seat pole...

Lots of options, what did you pick?
Seat Hardware page:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?dispName=SEATING%20_%20COVERS&jspStoreDir=wm51&catalogId=10001&view100page=100&Nao=0&Ntt=Seat%20Hardware&N=377%20710%201306&langId=-1&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&omniTag=Category:Seat%20Hardware&storeId=10001

16"-24" with seat mount
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/22333/377%20710%201306/0/Seat%20Hardware/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201306&Ne=0&Ntt=Seat%20Hardware&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=18&subdeptNum=37&classNum=563

14" - 20" pole bell style top
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/29132/377%20710%201306/0/Seat%20Hardware/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201306&Ne=0&Ntt=Seat%20Hardware&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=18&subdeptNum=37&classNum=563

csuggs
04-01-2010, 11:19 AM
The Coast Guard requires there to be a type IV "throwable" PFD on board so what I have is a Coast Guard Approved seat cushion with strap handles that doubles as that throwable PFD. When I want to sit up higher for whatever reason, I just put it in the seat. They are available in many different colors and the price is right. Works for me!

dusty2221
04-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Thats what we do as well, or did, the new one ahs the flip up seat!!!

csuggs
04-10-2010, 06:45 AM
Hey thanks for checking my boat. I think he is making the cupholders a little bigger . . .
Updates - I talked to Jim this week about some things, but we actually didn't go over any progress. I'm in Georgia until Sunday and I was actually in Marietta on Wednesday!

Okie Boarder
04-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Clint,

I talked to Jim about a couple things on Saturday. It sounds like things are getting close. IIRC, he said a couple more weeks to button things up. Sounded like they were just about done with all the upholstery work.

I got my carpet from him on Friday. I unrolled it in the front yard...the clor looks good and I love the variation of color in the sunlight.

csuggs
04-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Clint,

I talked to Jim about a couple things on Saturday. It sounds like things are getting close. IIRC, he said a couple more weeks to button things up. Sounded like they were just about done with all the upholstery work.

I got my carpet from him on Friday. I unrolled it in the front yard...the clor looks good and I love the variation of color in the sunlight.

That sounds real good. I can't wait to see pics of your boat with the floor in and carpet down. We're getting close!!!

I talked to Jim and he is still planning to have mine done in a couple weeks. I plan to go down the 24th to pick it up.

Okie Boarder
04-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Yeah, it is getting really close. By the 24th I'm hoping to have the engine back in and be working on getting things hooked back up. Can't wait to see pics of yours either.

1098miller
04-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Do you know the method that Jim uses to replaces the stringers, as far as prep to the hull and stringers. And what material is he using. I spoke with Jim yesterday and was very impressed. I'll be having him do a similar restoration to my 88.

csuggs
04-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Do you know the method that Jim uses to replaces the stringers, as far as prep to the hull and stringers. And what material is he using. I spoke with Jim yesterday and was very impressed. I'll be having him do a similar restoration to my 88.

If you go to FaceBook and look up Viper Customs, then click on photos and look for the album titled "Current Projects - Clint Suggs", then you will get a pretty good idea of how he goes about it. Jim uses a marine plywood composite that has better properties in water. Also he uses a marine panel for flooring and building interior components.
Even though I have not yet picked up my boat, I have stayed in touch with Jim and seen pictures and also been there one time to visit since he started - I highly recommend his work. Jim's knowledge and expertise is worth the 7 hour trip to Maryville. Also, he has experienced people working for him.

1098miller
04-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Thanks a lot for the info. I've been watching the progress on your boat, and can't wait for my turn. I'm definitely sold on Jim as well. I've had a very hard time finding anybody in Michigan with any knowlege of the old ski boats, or that gave that gave me the feeling that they could do a good enough job. I'm basically doing the same overhaul that you are. Looking forward to seeing your final outcome.

csuggs
04-19-2010, 09:30 AM
OK - I'm gonna try not to get too excited this week, but at present the plan is to pick up my boat this Saturday! Can't wait!

Okie Boarder
04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Clint...so exciting! It looks like you and I are really close to the same timing. I stil have a few weeks of getting everything put back together, but we'll both have completed boats within a couple weeks of each other. :)

saltare inverts
04-19-2010, 06:19 PM
I am excited for you guys. What a feeling to have something old made new and fresh.

dshaff24
04-20-2010, 01:11 AM
These things take a lot of time! I had 12 hours of just removing the old stripe and buffing one side, along with painting the engine!

im excited to see all these project boats come back to life!!

csuggs
04-20-2010, 06:29 AM
Funny you say that! My plan is to pick up my boat this Saturday from Jim. I don't want to rain on your parade but when I was up there two weeks ago, yours was still in three pieces. He was supposed to have mine done (again) by last Friday. When I called him at 6:30pm he said it was a no-go. DEFINITELY this week he promised! So, between our two boats, I'm wondering who is putting more pressure on him, you or me? I know for sure he has worked on your boat more hours total than mine, but I'm not sure how many hours in the last week since he was supposed to deliver on mine.
If he somehow miraculously gets both done this week, then I look forward to meeting you on Saturday morning. Too soon to put a smiley face icon on this page, but I hope for you it has been a much more positive experience. I've been more patient and only called him once since I visited him trying to listen to you guys say it will be great in the end. Let's all hope!

Yeah - I know these things take a lot of time. I will follow the same advice I gave you and be as patient as possible until it's finished. I know I will be so happy with the results so I'm willing to wait longer if necessary. I really hope that you will get your boat this weekend, and if I get mine it will be a bonus! Maybe we could meet each other, but I will probably not be to Viper until around noon Saturday because I cannot leave here until Saturday morning. We (my wife and I) will stay in Maryville or Knoxville Saturday night. PM me your cell number and I will call you if we are coming.

jasonba1
04-20-2010, 04:05 PM
ngavdba saw your interior today it looks awesome love the sunpad and the observer seat

saltare inverts
04-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Five months. Wow these things do take time, but you will be that much happier when you get it back. You both better send alot of pics.

Mani
04-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Clint, I've been keeping tabs on your build on Jim's Facebook page since he started on it and it looks great. I'm sure you'll love it.

csuggs
04-22-2010, 08:13 AM
"No go" on my boat for delivery this weekend. Just as well because the rain would not bode well with me on the way back. I want to tow it back on a dry day. Anyway Jim still needs to finish a few things so it will be a couple more weeks or so.

Okie Boarder
04-22-2010, 11:13 AM
I bet the anticipation is getting a little tough to deal with. But, better to be patient and get it done right!

csuggs
04-22-2010, 01:49 PM
I bet the anticipation is getting a little tough to deal with. But, better to be patient and get it done right!

Yeah - but we're good here - I can wait because I know I'll be soooo happy! Yours is looking great, and may be done before mine!!!

1098miller
04-22-2010, 11:11 PM
I don't care how long a guy takes on something, as long as he's the best. In my business I've found that there is no way to achieve the absolute "best" in short time, which give's me more faith in Viper Customs.... I'm anxious to hear your reaction on your final product. "If" Jim is the best, he can take as long as he wants on my boat.... Five months goes by in a heartbeat... ...

87SunSportMikeyD
04-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Nice to know friendly comments are appreciated here :rolleyes: be nice

iLikeBoats
04-24-2010, 11:32 PM
I wish we had a "Jim at Viper" over here

csuggs
04-27-2010, 06:00 AM
Cllint,
You're boat is looking great!! I have pics. They put the stainless rub rail on today, and when I returned I meant to take a couple more shots with it on. That is gorgeous. My worry would be to get it scratched dockside. My old rubber rail I can ding up, but that absolutely makes a statement. Bling for the boat baby!!!

I asked about the cover he was doing for you and what that might cost to make one for my boat. Let's just say, I think I'll shop online for something less custom. I only use mine in the garage to keep dust out, so I had to pass on the second mortage.

The upholstery up front is very c-o-o-l. I really like that. Updates it alot. Really good look!!
Looks like a lot of time went into that one piece.

Anyway, enough talk, I can post a few tonight. Will probably take a few minutes. Let me know.

Why don't you send the pics of my boat to my email [email protected]

Thanks for checking on my boat - I looked at the pics of yours and it really looks nice. I'm glad that you are happy with the results. You're gonna love taking it out on the lake!

csuggs
04-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Here are a couple of pics with the new stainless rubrail installed. Lighting is not the best but I think you can see the idea.

Okie Boarder
04-27-2010, 03:12 PM
I like it! I'd love to go stainless on mine. Not sure if I will or not.

csuggs
04-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Playpen area - new upholstery - no teak. Stereo speakers not yet installed.

Okie Boarder
04-27-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm liking the pattern up front...that looks really good!

jasonba1
04-27-2010, 03:53 PM
stainless rub rail looks great I loved mine

Mani
04-27-2010, 04:36 PM
It looks excellent Clint. Can't wait to see the final product.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Wow clean and updated. Nice. The rubrail really is a nice touch, I didn't think it would look THAT nice.

saltare inverts
04-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Lovew trhe upholstery. Nice rubrail too. MM pretty.

mapleleaf
04-27-2010, 07:55 PM
worth every penny, that thing looks amazing.....

ngavchris
04-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Looks great Clint, Daniel couldn't say enough good things about your boat. I am sure it will be worth the wait. I really like that stainless rubrail. Did you go to Jim with all these ideas or did he come up with them?

csuggs
04-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the compliments, guys. Chris - I talked to Jim about the basic things I wanted done, and in general about the colors I wanted. I told him that I wanted the boat to be mostly retro with some modernizations and left most of the details to his imagination. There is still much of it that I have not seen or even know for sure how he is going to finish. The extra storage space that he provided was totally his idea as well as the patterns for the upholstery. Also, I gave him a general direction on the exterior graphics, but he has some lee-way to use his imagination. I'm sure that some things will be a surprise when I pick the boat up - and that's how I want it. I trust Jim's judgement and want the artist to be able to express himself a bit in the work he is creating for me. It's a little like being on "overhaulin'" with Jim as Chip Foose - only difference is that I know most of what's going on and the entire project takes more than just a week!

ngavchris
04-27-2010, 09:36 PM
That is awesome. I hope Dan didn't spill the beans with all his pictures. Pretty obvious he loves the camera. Got that from his grandfather.

chautauquasun
04-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Clint...looking great. The interior looks fantastic. I am going to suffer through another season with the old upholstery but look to do what you are doing next year. Nice Job!

dshaff24
04-29-2010, 12:05 AM
Wow that looks Great Clint! Im not going to go into that much detail, Well at least I don't think I am! but the interior/rubrail couldn't look any better!

Oh and How much would the rubrail cost anyway?

csuggs
04-29-2010, 06:18 AM
I do know a few things Jim is doing but I will never tell!!!

Don't tell me Daniel! I love surprises!!! ;)

csuggs
04-29-2010, 06:21 AM
Wow that looks Great Clint! Im not going to go into that much detail, Well at least I don't think I am! but the interior/rubrail couldn't look any better!

Oh and How much would the rubrail cost anyway?

Don't know the price of anything really! I know that sounds crazy, but when we started this I gave Jim a budget figure to work within and he's doing it all. So if you need prices on anything he is doing, you'll have to ask him.

And thanks for all the compliments guys! I hope that we all can make it to this reunion that Jim and Daniel and Jason are talking about - it would be great to see each others boats in person on the lake!

csuggs
04-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Clint,

I said I'd never tell! Lips are sealed.

I might run mine back up the day you pick yours up so we can meet and take some pics. I want to see it in the finished state live and in person. Seeing it a few times, I'm excited to see how its going to finish myself and not even my boat.

I just contacted Jim on a couple of things I found that need to be corrected so if he is willing, I would just bring her back up there for quick fix and kill two birds with one stone.

Daniel - That sounds like a plan. At this point I am planning to stay overnight when I go there so that we can put the boat in the water and test everything out. Probably be a couple weeks or so . . .

csuggs
04-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Daniel (ngavdba) was nice enough to send me several pics of my baby when he was at Viper earlier this week so I thought I would post some more of the pics he sent. Thanks again, Daniel. ;)
These are just some various pics of the interior with new carpet and motor installed.

csuggs
04-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Here are a few more . . . notice the bilge area extended up under the playpen. There is a bulkhead with removeable drain plug between this area and the main bilge area.

csuggs
04-29-2010, 12:04 PM
And a few more . . . I love the stainless rubrail - like having a little "boat bling"!

Okie Boarder
04-29-2010, 12:21 PM
It's looking good. Looks like you have the same color carpet as me. Do you know if it is the twisted yarn or plush? Or the name? The carpet I got was called "Dover".

I love the bow seating color layout and stitching...it really gives it an updated look.

brack
05-01-2010, 11:05 PM
saw pictures of your boat on Vipers Facebook page.....Super looking boat !

chautauquasun
05-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Clint

It is really looking great. Love the interior. Please post some more of the interior. That will be my next project...probably for next year.

dshaff24
05-10-2010, 12:28 AM
Any new progress?

csuggs
05-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Any new progress?

Talked to Jim today and he says it will be ready on the 19th. I will plan to go pick it up of Friday the 21st. Maybe there will be a few more pics by then :)

csuggs
05-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Here are a few more pics of the interior. Jim still needs to install the tower, and finish the dash and wiring. The trailer has been modified, then sent to Boat Mate to be welded, and being painted today.

csuggs
05-20-2010, 08:39 PM
And a few more . . .

jasonba1
05-20-2010, 09:56 PM
saw your boat today it looks great love the suttle hints of orange...love how your boat looks old schools with a touch of new looking great clint

Okie Boarder
05-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Clint,

That looks good. That is a perfect blend of old and new. I bet you're getting really anxious. Are you down there already?

Tell Jim I said hi and show him some of the new pics if you can. I'm sure he's curious to see my final product.

csuggs
05-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Still waiting . . . . . . .:(

ngavchris
05-28-2010, 01:25 AM
Hang in there Clint. I am sure your patience is running thin.

csuggs
05-28-2010, 08:15 AM
We're working through things and getting real close. My plan is drive to Maryville on Monday (Memorial Day) and be at Jim's shop probably all day Tuesday, then drive home with my boat Wednesday. Let's hope!

ngavchris
05-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Make sure you leave yourself sometime to lake test the boat somewhere close to his shop. You can ask Daniel about this, but somethings show up on the water much easier than on the trailer. Might save you a long trip back to TN.

csuggs
05-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Make sure you leave yourself sometime to lake test the boat somewhere close to his shop. You can ask Daniel about this, but somethings show up on the water much easier than on the trailer. Might save you a long trip back to TN.

Yeah - that's in the plan. I'm driving down there Monday and will be at the shop Tuesday morning. Jim has a supposed commitment from Jeff at Tower Systems to have the tower welded either Sunday or Monday. Tuesday we will finalize graphics, etc and then lake test either Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning. Hoping to come home Wednesday, but will not come home if I see a problem. It will be finished next week!

ngavchris
05-28-2010, 02:31 PM
I hope you enjoy your new boat. Daniel told me how nice it looks from his visits. What is your tower going to look like. I have a 97 sunsport and have been wanting to get a tower. $$$ and the look have me on hold. I dont want it to look like I went by the marine store and picked on up on the way to the lake. Have a safe trip........

csuggs
05-28-2010, 03:09 PM
I hope you enjoy your new boat. Daniel told me how nice it looks from his visits. What is your tower going to look like. I have a 97 sunsport and have been wanting to get a tower. $$$ and the look have me on hold. I dont want it to look like I went by the marine store and picked on up on the way to the lake. Have a safe trip........

I told Jim the same thing about the tower. I personally like the lines of my boat without the tower, but since my boys want one for wakeboarding and wakeskating, and I want to be able to use the back seat while towing, we're getting one! I told Jim I wanted it to look like the tower belonged there, not just some aftermarket unit that doesn't go with boat. I haven't seen it yet, but if it's anything like the other work he's done I know I'll be pleased. Can't wait to see the whole thing!

jasonba1
05-28-2010, 03:33 PM
hey clint tried to respond to you on facebook not sure you got it. Make sure you give me a shout when you get in I will be around monday and tuesday morning but tuesday afternoon I have to present at a seminar in pigeon forge. Have a safe trip and hope to see you soon

jasonba1
05-28-2010, 03:34 PM
hey clint PM'd you my phone #

csuggs
05-28-2010, 03:58 PM
hey clint PM'd you my phone #

Got it Jason - I'll give you a call Monday afternoon/evening!

Okie Boarder
06-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Excited to hear more!

csuggs
06-01-2010, 09:46 PM
OK - Got to Maryville last night (Monday) and went to the tower shop - Marine Tower Systems. Andrew and Jeff had the tower going together. Then I went to Jim's restaurant at Tellico Lake Marina for dinner and met with Jason and Jim. After that I went to Jim's shop and talked to Tiny who was working on my trailer.
Today - went back and forth between Jim's shop and the tower shop working on the trailer and the tower. At around 3:30pm we took the boat from the Marine Tower Systems back to Viper Customs. Then worked a little more on the boat. Jason came through for me today by getting longer wheel studs and spacers for the trailer axles. Thanks Jason!
Tomorrow morning we will set the boat on my trailer (it's on another trailer now), fit the bunks and make adjustments, Tommy will wire the gauges and switches and lights, and we will apply the graphics. A few finishing touches to apply, then it's to the lake! My goal is to make to Tellico Lake late tomorrow for a test run and head home Thursday morning. Whew!
Working on a punch list now.
A barage of pictures will follow soon!

sybrmike
06-01-2010, 10:18 PM
You mean you're not gonna paint the boat to match the red trailer? Looks great with the tower! Sounds like a hectic schedule, but hope it all comes together for you.

csuggs
06-01-2010, 10:26 PM
You mean you're not gonna paint the boat to match the red trailer? Looks great with the tower! Sounds like a hectic schedule, but hope it all comes together for you.

LOL! Not my red trailer! Jim put it on a Mastercraft trailer when he took the boat to Marine Tower Systems on Monday, since mine wasn't finished yet.

jasonba1
06-02-2010, 08:44 AM
tower looks great Clint I love it really follows the lines of your boat. So glad I got to meet up with you and meet your dad (great guy). Glad I could help you out with the studs and spacers . Sorry I couldnt stay around longer but had to get to pigeon forge to present at a seminar. Give me a call and let me know how everything is going.

Take care and good to see you again

Okie Boarder
06-02-2010, 01:19 PM
LOVE the tower...fits the boat very well!

csuggs
06-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks guys for the compliments. Today we had to rework my trailer, and we also got a lot of loose-ends tied up. The wiring is probably 60%. I feel confident about finishing tomorrow - hopefully in time to go for a test run.
I have not had time for many pictures, but I have one for tonight. It's titled "I Fly"!!

mapleleaf
06-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Your boat looks really, really, really good! I bet it drives really really really good now too. Congrats....that tower and interior are incredible. I'd feel like a kid at a candy store if I were you! Pretty cool that you're down there helping out on the finishes.......Have fun on the water tomorrow!!!

ngavchris
06-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Clint,
I was right around the corner from you tonight in Athens, TN(40 miles south on hwy 411. I talked to Daniel about running up and catching up with you. I didn't get finished until around 6:30 so I ran out of time and I was 2 hours from home. Hope you enjoy, really looking good. Tower looks great. That has a new dimension look to it. Looks like the boat was built for the tower. Enjoy your trip down south. I see you are doing a good job of cracking the whip.

saltare inverts
06-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Looks awsome. Dont forget more pics.

DGREEN
06-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Dude, your boat is looking sooo good! Super clean and tight, I love it.

jasonba1
06-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Just got off the lake and having dinner with Clint. His boat looks amazing no offsense to anyone else but I have to say it is the best looking sunsport I have ever seen just wait to you see the pics. I took a lot of pics but I wont spoil the suprise, I will let Clint post them. Clint have a safe trip back and as always it was good to see you and hang out on the lake today

csuggs
06-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Just got off the lake and having dinner with Clint. His boat looks amazing no offsense to anyone else but I have to say it is the best looking sunsport I have ever seen just wait to you see the pics. I took a lot of pics but I wont spoil the suprise, I will let Clint post them. Clint have a safe trip back and as always it was good to see you and hang out on the lake today

Thanks Jason for the compliments and the inspiration along the way. You've been a big help. I also enjoyed the run on Tellico Lake this afternoon and dinner at Jim's marina grill.
We finished up today and tested this afternoon - Jim, Jason and I went for a boat ride and everything performed flawlessly with one exception - an easy fix to be done tomorrow morning. Then it's home for me and my baby!
Jim Jackson and the guys at Viper Customs really went above and beyond my expectations. From the repair work to the interior design and upholstery, upgrades, etc. I love it all and everyone at Viper did a great job!
I will post a few of Jason's pics he sent tonight and then there will be many more to come. . .
I'M SOOOOO HAPPPPY!!!

csuggs
06-03-2010, 10:44 PM
More pics from this afternoon.

saltare inverts
06-03-2010, 11:16 PM
I hate it what a waste of money. Just kidding. That is awesome. That interior is crazy nice. I want more pics with less glare please. Your teasing us a little.

dshaff24
06-03-2010, 11:51 PM
SWEET!! looking good clint!

mapleleaf
06-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Do they make new boats that nice?????

Okie Boarder
06-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Looks great!

mapleleaf
06-04-2010, 09:39 PM
We may not hear from Clint for a while.....Pretty sure I know where he is.........

csuggs
06-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Not today Leaf - thunderstorms and flash flood warnings all weekend. But I am home now with the boat! I'll post more pics and information over the weekend.

jasonba1
06-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Hey Clint glad you made it home safe. what did your wife and kids think?

csuggs
06-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Hehe - they really love it!

csuggs
06-05-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm going to start posting some pics of the completed boat. I say it's complete because I can use it now, but really it will probably never be totally complete. Part of the joy of having a boat for me is tinkering with it from time to time.
Anyway, here are a few pics taken just before we left Jim's shop on Thursday afternoon to go to Tellico Lake for the test run.

mapleleaf
06-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Those trailer mod's really seemed to have put your boat at a nice ride height...Color looks great too!!!!

csuggs
06-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Pics of Jim driving my boat and Jason in the back on Tellico Lake, Thursday.

csuggs
06-05-2010, 07:51 PM
I got back home on Friday. Today (Saturday) the weather was bad but I did get the boat out of the garage to wash it, take pics then put back away. The faded logo is barely seen from a distance - I like it!

csuggs
06-05-2010, 07:59 PM
More angles . . .

csuggs
06-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Interior pics - maybe the best part. Pretty much everything you see is new. The blower vents are from Skiers Choice. I went to SC on Thursday to pick them up, and when I met Anthony he gave me a tour of the plant. Pretty cool!!

csuggs
06-05-2010, 08:22 PM
More interior pics.

csuggs
06-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Interior - I originally told Jim that I wanted the original color (very light grey) with a little splash of orange. And this is what he came up with - I love it!
The pocket on the starboard side was my idea. We were trying to figure out what to do with the ugly brown recessed fire extinguisher holder because I keep mine next to the captains seat in the pocket near the floor. I told him to fabricate a pocket that you could throw things like sunscreen in - something with a net. Again, he and his upholstery shop put their heads together and delivered. :cool:

The new stereo and speakers are from MB Quart.

csuggs
06-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Dash panel and steering wheel are taken from a newer model Supra than mine. Gauges are all new except for the tach and speedos that I replaced new last year. We also added a Humminbird depth finder.
Tower is from MTS in Vonore, TN (Marine Tower Systems). Jeff and Andrew at MTS custom-fit the tower and Andrew welded it up. I ordered a pair of board racks from MTS and should have them in a couple of weeks. The shifter is also new.

csuggs
06-05-2010, 08:57 PM
We effectively lowered the boat in the trailer by about 4" by making modifications to the bunks and cutting the inner fenders.
The final pics for tonight are of the tower folded and swim platform removed to fit in the garage. All put away for the night!
Come on sunshine - I wanna go out!!!!

mapleleaf
06-05-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm cursing out loud at the computer......Flawless, looks amazing.......that dash really pulls the rebuild together.....

dshaff24
06-05-2010, 10:43 PM
That custom pocket Idea Rocks and I must say the interior looks like it was done from the factory! Most interior shops can not do the curves right on the seat sides and from section and yours looks perfect!

I would love to know what the damages was but im sure thats confidential unless you feel like telling! :)

Mani
06-06-2010, 01:09 AM
I'm dumbfounded at how good your dash looks. Just WOW! Great looking ride Clint.

csuggs
06-06-2010, 07:22 AM
I would love to know what the damages was but im sure thats confidential unless you feel like telling! :)

All I am willing to say is that I believe the rebuild was worth every penny. Out of respect for Jim though, I'll keep that information confidential. :)

sybrmike
06-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Simply amazing! Worth the wait & probably worth every penny. Interior looks great. Do I see adapter plates for the new swim platform brackets?Think I'm just gonna fill the old holes, regel, & drill new ones. Thanks for the inspiration to keep wetsanding and compounding.

dusty2221
06-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Wow, that looks unbelievably nice!

Okie Boarder
06-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Looks absolutely beautiful!

csuggs
06-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks everybody for all the kind words. I can't wait to get the boat out and use it - maybe this weekend. We had rain last weekend and the Ohio River is chocolate brown with tree limbs and trash floating down it. Not a good place for my nearly new boat . . . .

Memmer99
06-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Very Very NICE! I love the dash and did you fab the extra seat in front of the ice chest or is that factory on the 86? Either way it looks good and comfortable.

csuggs
06-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Looks like this weekend I'll finally get to use the boat. We went out last Friday night for about an hour before we got rained-on. Then my son and I went out Wednesday at lunch time for a few minutes to inspect the driveshaft after adjusting the alignment. Since Wednesday, I've gotten all the little things I wanted done finished, and it's all cleaned up and ready for the weekend. Weather looks good, leaving work early today . . . .
Let the games begin! :cool:

I'll try to get some pics on the water soon.

dshaff24
06-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Looks like this weekend I'll finally get to use the boat. We went out last Friday night for about an hour before we got rained-on. Then my son and I went out Wednesday at lunch time for a few minutes to inspect the driveshaft after adjusting the alignment. Since Wednesday, I've gotten all the little things I wanted done finished, and it's all cleaned up and ready for the weekend. Weather looks good, leaving work early today . . . .
Let the games begin! :cool:

I'll try to get some pics on the water soon.
Where ya heading to? We are heading to tygart in the morning in the powerplay though...
oh and get some water PICS!!!

csuggs
06-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Just messin around locally in the Ohio River at Parkersburg this weekend. We'll have to hookup out at Tygart sometime this summer though.

csuggs
06-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Cancelled my board rack order from MTS because they weren't made yet and because after this weekend on the river I decided I wanted to get that $%&@ kneeboard out of the floor of the boat! So I looked online and found some that will do nicely, I think. I ordered one each of the Krypt Dominion Series (just released from onlyinboards.com) wakeboard rack and combination kneeboard & wakeboard rack. Should have them next week!!!

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Ski-boat-accessories/wakeboard-racks.html

Okie Boarder
06-24-2010, 02:36 PM
I like those racks. Just reads the write up. Sounds like they work pretty good. Let us all know what you think after using them a bit.

techsledder
06-25-2010, 11:54 AM
WOW! My friend you have one bad a$$ looking boat there! Great details!

csuggs
06-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks again for the positive comments! My wife said that I should name the boat "the other woman"! LOL
Got some pics while I was out with my oldest son on Saturday morning. The water was beautiful. These pics were taken just before he "blew-out" a boot landing a jump! It was just the two of us so I took the pics with my iphone while driving. ;)

mapleleaf
06-27-2010, 10:55 PM
can't decide which is better, the reflection of father and son, or that brand new looking teak!!!!!

Mani
06-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Looking good, Clint. Keep the pictures coming. I can't get enough of this beautiful boat.

Okie Boarder
06-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Nice! Cool pics. You need to get rid of that "rainbow" rope for wakeboarding. No-stretch all the way (as elluded to in your other thread).

csuggs
06-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Yeah Okie - I ordered a new rope today.

csuggs
06-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Got my board racks in yesterday and installed them last night. Looks like they will work pretty well, except for the fact that the wake skateboard does not fit into one of the three small slots. So I can carry 3 wakeboards and 1 kneeboard. The wake skateboard will have to stay in the boat - probably in the ski locker.

Okie Boarder
07-01-2010, 12:40 PM
I like the racks. Keep us posted on how they perform.

csuggs
07-06-2010, 03:51 PM
The Krypt Tower racks from onlyinboards.com are working out nicely. I had to re-tighten one of the clamps onto the tower but now it's holding just fine. I did not use the pointed set screws that came with it because I was not sure that I wanted to leave the racks where I first mounted them and I didn't want to make an impression in the tower with the screw. But they are holding fine without the set screws.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Boat looks freaking amazing!!!!! Love the colors and new dash.

Hematoma
07-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Man your boat looks great!, How much were the vent covers on the back? I read you got them from SC was it a special order deal? Good Job

dshaff24
07-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Man your boat looks great!, How much were the vent covers on the back? I read you got them from SC was it a special order deal? Good Job

24.99 Shipped You have to call skierschoice and talk to anthony or go to your local supra/moomba dealer

csuggs
07-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Dshaff is correct on the vent covers. Call Anthony at SC - they are in stock and he's who I got them from. He also gave me a plant tour while I was there! There are actually two types: the ones I have are flat and there is another that I actually like a little better that is slightly raised - both from SC. Jim Jackson has a set of the raised ones in stock that he would probably sell also.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Just call SC. Do they have the standard black plastic ones? I havent been able to find them

csuggs
07-07-2010, 11:13 AM
What is Anthony's number? Skier's Choice?

Call 800-320-2779 ext 118. He knows his parts for boats going way back to the beginning. But the vent covers I have are actually used on current production. Be advised that the hole will need to be made slightly larger with a file or die grinder to accept these vents.

csuggs
07-28-2010, 10:59 AM
I thought I would finish up this thread with some pictures of my baby on the water. We just got back from 2 days at Summersville Lake in West Virginia. Beautiful lake and very clean, clear water. Can't wait to go back again! Enjoy the pics . . .

jasonba1
07-28-2010, 11:26 AM
looks great clint , beautiful lake and even a better looking boat, got my boat back a couple of weeks ago Ill get some pics up soon

Okie Boarder
07-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Love the on water pics! Awesome. That water sure is purty.