PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Fluid thread #2

jet
02-22-2010, 12:35 PM
OK..this tread is going to be hard. My boat is in excellent condition..ok It needs a few things, Im getting started in the next 2-weeks..just finishing up my custom closet winter project..pictures coming soon. BUT!! my tranny fluid is clear and clean but has never been changed?? This is one area of my boat where that I have neglected. BUT..Its because I have very low hours 430ish and the tranny fluid is clear and clean? What to do now?? Leave it or change it? Boy that sounds stupid when I say it out loud. lol

csuggs
02-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Jet - my velvet drive manual calls for a seasonal change on pleasure boats, although I have neglected to change mine in the last couple of years due to the difficulty of draining the fluid, and the fact that it looks and smells fine. It will be changed prior to the start of this season.

dusty2221
02-22-2010, 12:59 PM
"An ounce of prevention......"

but then again

"If it ain't broke don't fix it."

I'm zero help!!! :)

Salty87
02-23-2010, 11:03 AM
hey jet...snowing up there too? i wish i had a garage to take advantage of days like this.

i did the same as you, didn't change fluid for years. never had a problem. i changed it when i put the engine back in. it was easy if you have a vacuum extractor kinda pump. you can see how much you take out and just replace that much. i can't remember what type i used.

you've probably already changed it, lol

chautauquasun
03-03-2010, 10:12 PM
I ended up having to change mine about 6 times last summer due to a leaking oil cooler. I used a small electric pump with flexible plastic hose that would actually fit into the tranny fluid opening and pump as much as I could out then refilled. Had to change it several times to get all of the water out of it. i would say if your fluid is clean it would be a very easy job with a little pump. Takes no time at all and is probably something I will do at least annually...especially if you are duing a lot of wakeboard or tubing. Tubing really seems to heat the transmission up quickly.