PDA

View Full Version : Box anchor

Fman
02-23-2010, 12:47 AM
Is anyone here using a Box Anchor? I posted a message on WW and everyone recommended one, they are pretty expensive but everyone who uses one has nothing but great things to say about them. Wanted to find out if anyone here is currently using one? I am looking for a better anchor system.

I am probably going to order the Large model for $179, a little larger than I need but I want something that is not going to let go in windy conditions.

http://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopIT_ProductDetails.aspx?ID=024a8189-c4ba-41dc-9a41-c5e749bb8688

ssmith
02-23-2010, 01:42 AM
I've been looking into one of these. I like how it folds up for easy storage. I too have heard great things about the box anchors. It is a bit pricey...way more than my Walmart anchor but I'm tired of not feeling confident in my boat staying put. Really worthy of consideration, IMO.

jonyb
02-23-2010, 01:44 AM
Not trying to sound harsh, but if you have an anchor and it doesn't work, you need to learn how to use it. Maybe you do know how, I don't know.

As stated in that thread, I've got a 30# hooker anchor and it'll hold my boat and at least 5 25-35' boats when I can set it right.

Remember, the box anchor only works in sand.

For as well as my anchor works, the box anchor is not nearly worth the money.

tg0824SSVGG
02-23-2010, 04:23 AM
Fman,

I have a box anchor, and have only seen it cut loose one time (well, multiple times
in the same storm) ... it was a NASTY storm where nobody's anchors were holding.

John, it works ok in "other" conditions besides sand, but probably "best" in sand.

I bought it MAINLY because of 2 things:

* it folds up VERY easily and came with a nice storage bag (old danforth style was a pain to store)
* I have watched it cut loose in nasty wind and, as advertised, grab again afterwards due to the design.

Pretty expensive, and I am not 100% sold - but as I said, in the one nasty
storm where it did break loose (several times) it did re-engage for a short while, then break loose again - it was happening to ALL the boats, all the anchor styles, it was a real nasty storm - and I know that the anchors were all properly set.

Up to you, I also bought mine largely based on the WW recommendations.

Todd

Okie Boarder
02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
I have a couple friends that have the box anchor and they like it. It seems to me it is a little more fool proof than your standard anchor. Like Jony said, if you set a standard anchor correctly, it will hold just as well. But, how many of us really know how to truly set an anchor correctly? ;-)

dusty2221
02-23-2010, 12:12 PM
My wife got me a box anchor just the other day. Won't get to use it for a while, but it looks like a really really nice quality product. Hopefully it holds well.

87SunSportMikeyD
02-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Please tell us the correct way to set/use a standard anchor.

I have learned to let out a far longer line that I used to, in order to reduce the angle at which the boat pulls on the anchor.

I've heard people recommend a short length of chain at the anchor, but not sure how that would help...

Okie Boarder
02-23-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure if I do it 100% correct, but here's what I do.

I use a fluke anchor with 2-3' of chain at the anchor end of the rope.

1. Approach the spot you want the anchor to set, pointing into the wind.
2. Hit reverse or stop and let the wind start to push you back.
3. Slowly lower the anchor straight down (make sure you are drifting back a little).
4. Once you feel the achor touch bottom, let it drag just a bit to stretch the chain and allow the fluke to point down unobstructed.
5. Let out 3-5 times the amount of rope than your depth.
6. Continue drifting backwards until the rope pulls tight and you can feel the anchor set. Check how well it set by holding it firmly and seeing if you can pull strong and smooth and move the boat forward.
7. Tie off the rope to your cleat.

You could tie off once you feel it it tight, wait about 10 seconds and then put the boat in reverse. At an idle or just above you shouldn't be able to break the anchor loose.

I've never had a problem anchoring properly using that technique.

jonyb
02-23-2010, 01:40 PM
I do what okie said, except I dont drop mine and drift back. I drop mine with the fluke pointing down, then reverse. I normally put my anchor 50-60' out from the bow of my boat. Same if it's tied to the transom.

You can't just drop an anchor and expect it to do it's job. The chain plays a huge role in this too. Someone on WW said to use a foot of chain for every foot of the boat. That means you'd carry 22-24' of chain, which is ridiculous. Mine has about 5' of chain, but it's very heavy so it drops fast. Once the anchor is on the ground, and the fluke is on the ground, it digs in when you pull it back towards the boat.

Changes in wind direction can hurt anchors as well. If others are tied up to me, we put a few off the front, and a few off the back. Depending on the wind, the last guy in line may throw one out to his 1:30-2 or 10:30-11 position to keep from swinging.

ssmith
02-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Not trying to sound harsh, but ...

LMAO. John, as you know, that's like here in the south prefacing your statement with "Bless her heart......" or describing a blind date as "having a good personality" to your friend. Its just simple ways of sugar coating the harsh truth and makes us all feel warm and fuzzy. Not picking but just funny.

Fman
02-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the input, I could have been setting it incorrectly. I have the rubber coated chain that attaches to the rubber coated anchor, the I have the bungee line attached to it. It does hold without any significant wind, but if the wind comes up it will pull it out. Someone also mentioned to trim the rubber to allow the anchor to fold properly, I have not done this but sounds like a good idea. I know my anchor does not weigh 30 lbs, possibly upgrading to the heavier anchor would not be a bad idea.

The box anchor seems a little more idiot proof, but definitely is not a cheap route to go.

jonyb
02-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Travis, like I said, I've got the big boy.... I'd take a picture of how I've got it stored, but the boat's under a cover and a few blankets in my shop and I really don't want to get into it right now.

Basically I take out the center cushion of the playpen. When you do that, you see the front of the ballast sac. The frame for the playpen goes up, and the panels on the left and right stop. The sides of the anchor extend far enough that I can put that end in first, then drop the anchor. The end that the chain connects to is towards the back of the boat. It's hooked in there good enough that it stays put, no matter what, and it doesn't interfere with the sac in that compartment. I've got 200' of rope on an electrical cord reel that's in there too.

You mentioned you have bungee rope for yours? I could be wrong, but you need something that doesn't stretch as much. Can't remember what it's called right now, but a fellow boater that's a firefighter uses it, and the rope has very minimal stretch.

dusty2221
02-23-2010, 10:06 PM
I think he was talking about an anchor buddy maybe

Fman
02-23-2010, 11:36 PM
It is the anchor buddy, which works great to keep the boat off the shore and allows you to pull the boat back to the shoreline to get in, then it will retract and pull the boat back out off the shore.

If anyone has a picture of how there anchors are set up please post some pics.

Diggs
02-24-2010, 07:00 PM
I use a box anchor and sets first time all the time and holds. No chain either. I really don't think you will need the large. I went through all the same steps as you are going through now and have never looked back. The medium should do more than the trick. I think it says the small is actually the size to get for our boats.

tg0824SSVGG
02-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Diggs, I also got the medium instead of the small ...

Fman
02-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Diggs, I also got the medium instead of the small ...

Todd,

I think I will do the same, for an additional $30 seems like a no-brainer...

Newty
02-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Fman I have the small and the medium. the medium is overkill but I like the added insurance being on a river with tidal influence. Def worth the money!