PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Sales, I'm thinking about Supra

DrunkLivnOnLake
02-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Hi

Thinking of a 2009 22 launch (or 24 but the swim platform will hang out the back of my dock.)

I've looked at a few used, the vinyl seems thin and I saw some bad vinyl at back of a few boat. How would owners rate the vinyl? Should it last 10 years as I've seen with other boats.

I worry most about the vinyl and gel coat, mechanical is easier to deal with and maintain, but there's not much I can do with poor vinyl.

Also, how are these boats for wakesurfing. Can you modify the ballast in back corners to larger sacs?

tia

ssmith
02-24-2010, 01:55 PM
I have a 2005 model (so 5 year old vinyl) and it looks great. I think as with any boat, you need to condition and protect the vinyl to ensure that it looks good down the road. As for the ballast...there are so many options. So, yes you can modify the ballast very easily to pretty much anything you want. The Supra's throw out an awesome wake. I've only surfed behind a Malibu and a Supra and they were equally good, IMO. I think almost any boat can have a reasonable surf wake if weighted properly. Good luck.

TayTay
02-24-2010, 02:05 PM
I have the same, 5 year old boat and my vinyl is awesome. The conditioning/cleaning really helps as well. No matter what kind of vinyl you have, the way it is cared for is going to factor in how long it is going to last. No complaints so far from me though! Good luck in your search

csuggs
02-24-2010, 02:32 PM
My ORIGINAL vinyl lasted 24 years. Can't say enough good about the boat!

iwakeboard
02-24-2010, 02:55 PM
I have an '05 24SSV and my boat was left out in the summer sun of Florida for 3 years without any cover and was used nearly every day (belonged to Trevor Hansen) and the vinyl is in good shape. If mine made it through that in the condition it's in now I think it's the best in the industry.

michael hunter
02-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Heres mine after 22 years what do you think?

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/SkiDogHHRSupraPicture003.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/SkiDogHHRSupraPicture002.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/SkiDogHHRSupraPicture005.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/SkiDogHHRSupraPicture017.jpg

dusty2221
02-24-2010, 05:16 PM
You boat is reeeeeeaaaaallllllllllllllllly clean! What do you use to condition/clean?

michael hunter
02-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Malco leather and plastic cleaner topped with 303.

Okie Boarder
02-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Not to threadjack here, but Micheal can you do me a favor?

Can you take a picture that shows me what is being pointed to in the picture?

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu144/OkieBoarder/MHInteriorShot.jpg

michael hunter
02-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Will this do?

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/Supra%20radio%20upgrade/102_0587.jpg

Okie Boarder
02-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Whoops...I may have misled ya. I was looking down lower right about where your right knee would be when you're sitting in the driver's seat...the "cut out" looking area in that lower panel.

Fman
02-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Tia.

First off, welcome to the Supra site...

My boat is only a year old, but the vinyl has shown no defects. Supra uses Syntec Vinyl and Gore Tenara threads which are among the highest rated vinyl in the industry. As many have mentioned, you need to take care of it regardless. A little cleaner and protector a few times during the year will make a huge difference. I use 303 myself for the protector, and judging from Michaels boat it obviously works! His vinyl looks awesome for a boat that is 20+ years old.

Sounds like the boat you looked at was neglected, especially for only being five years old. Supras are the easiest boat to add weight to, especially on the '09 models which have a much improved ballast fill/drain system. All you have to do is purchase larger bags (ie: 750 lb rears instead of the 400's or 1100 lb front) and plug and play, its that simple. Both the 22 and 24's throw a good surf wake, the 24' IMO will be a little better because of the added weight of the boat. All of the big players in wakeboard boats are offering plug and play on top of the hard tanks because riders are demanding more weight.

Supra makes very nice boats, I would find it hard to believe you not being happy with any '09 model. The swivel board racks are upgraded and ballast fill/drain system completely re-done in all the '09 and later models which was a great improvement.

jonyb
02-24-2010, 09:43 PM
You guys are talking about how long your vinyl has lasted in your older boats. That's excellent, and they're nice looking boats, but he's asking about newer boats.

I'm sure by now SC has had many different suppliers of vinyl, and with the way things are these days, I guarantee it's not the quality of what was used 24 years ago.

On that note, I've taken care of the vinyl in my 07, and haven't had any problems yet. Although when I stand in it too long, I notice when I move off of it that it takes a while for the footprint to go away, like the foam inside isn't very good.

DrunkLivnOnLake
02-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks all,

Ya, I have a 99 Bayliner with vinyl in mint condition. I just worried that they weren't making boats like they used to and hoped for some 2005-2007 owner comments.

But it seems like the vinyl is ok but I still think some boats have thicker. I'm leaning toward supra as malibu's are just too expensive for what I've seen, like 07s and 08s with pitted chrome, instrument panels loose, vinyl coming apart, etc. Seems a boat is still just a boat after a few years and some makers are just crazy charging 80K. I think 50K is pretty crazy but it looks like I'll be spending it.

I'm tempted to pick up an untitled 08. Were the Supra 08 models ok? granted I may need to upgrade the ballast pumps along with the ballast bags.

Do Supras have hard tanks? I was under the impression they were all soft with Supras. Or are hard tanks an aftermarket thing?

tia

TayTay
02-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Supra's do not have hard tanks. They only have the soft, two rears and center. With two of the 750's in the back and then the 1100 in the center, that is a lot of weight, IMO. I have not seen anybody put hard tanks in a newer Supra. There has been some talk about putting them in the older ones on here. I cant comment on the '08 because I haven't seen anything newer than mine in person. If you do go with one that needs a pump upgrade, FMAN has a write up on how to do it and I think it is in the Supra Modifications section of the forum. Doesn't look too hard and is reasonably price. Good luck with your search!

jonyb
02-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Most boats that have hard tanks, have the tanks built-in under the floor, so they're built that way. It's probably possible in the front of the Supra's, but lots of work. The rear wouldn't be possible if you still wanted to work on the engine. The panels fold down on each side to gain access.

Fman
02-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks all,

Ya, I have a 99 Bayliner with vinyl in mint condition. I just worried that they weren't making boats like they used to and hoped for some 2005-2007 owner comments.

But it seems like the vinyl is ok but I still think some boats have thicker. I'm leaning toward supra as malibu's are just too expensive for what I've seen, like 07s and 08s with pitted chrome, instrument panels loose, vinyl coming apart, etc. Seems a boat is still just a boat after a few years and some makers are just crazy charging 80K. I think 50K is pretty crazy but it looks like I'll be spending it.

I'm tempted to pick up an untitled 08. Were the Supra 08 models ok? granted I may need to upgrade the ballast pumps along with the ballast bags.

Do Supras have hard tanks? I was under the impression they were all soft with Supras. Or are hard tanks an aftermarket thing?

tia

When I was shopping for boats I looked at used Mastercrafts, Tige's, and Calabrias, most of them had vinyl damage because of neglect from the owner. You just need to find someone that stores there boat inside and maintains it properly. If the vinyl is trashed chances are the rest of the boat was also not properly maintained, a good reason to walk away.

Only flaw in the Supra '08s that I know of are the ballast fill system, and the swivel board racks. The board racks begin to let loose, the good news is Roswell will replace them for $100 and give you a much better system that works great and easily bolt on. In '09 they also started to offer snap out carpet which is a nice upgrade.

Other than those two items, I think you would be very happy with an '08. I would stay away from the '07's because of vapor lock problems, they added a second fuel pump in '08 to help alleviate this problem. And in 2010 they are now putting the fuel pump in the tank. Only downfall to this is changing the filter is a PIA. As others mentioned, no hard tanks in Supras, only bags. One other recommendation, make sure and get the Z5 rack, it frees up a lot of space in the ski lockers to allow for the 750's. Other than ropes and vests, I dont need to put any other items in the lockers because of the Z5 rack, awesome upgrade.

Diggs
02-25-2010, 01:43 PM
I have owned several Supra's and never had any issues with the Vinyl. It is just as thick as any other manufacturer out there for sure. If you properly care for your boat it will last you a long long time....
Couldn't be happier and I am sure you will be the same. As others have touched on the ballast system in the supras really are great. I always change mine out to different set ups and I can always configure and change it if needed. It is easy.

docdrs
02-25-2010, 01:58 PM
There is a new idea that being built by a guy on the moomba site. He is replaceing the ballast manifold with 1.25" pvc and high flow 1 " sprinkler valves and a 3800 gph intake pump thats should outperform the 800 upgrade and be easier to upgrade.imo

http://moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=10193

DrunkLivnOnLake
02-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Just go back from my demo ride. Rode in a 2008 22' launch. Vinyl and overall boat performance met my expectations. With the 1800 lbs, it made a scary wake. With one side filled, it made a nice surf wake and people moving around in boat did not degrade the wake ever to bad, where as the 22 Malibu I rode in didn't have enough stock weight to achieve this. I would definitely replace the 400 rears with 600 or 750s. The bags filled slow but not too crazy slow. I might could live with the speed.

One big last question. 325 versus the 340cat.
Can I hear some comments about, Is it possible to smell the difference wakesurfing or wakeboarding behind the 325 versus the 340cat.

Fman
02-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Just go back from my demo ride. Rode in a 2008 22' launch. Vinyl and overall boat performance met my expectations. With the 1800 lbs, it made a scary wake. With one side filled, it made a nice surf wake and people moving around in boat did not degrade the wake ever to bad, where as the 22 Malibu I rode in didn't have enough stock weight to achieve this. I would definitely replace the 400 rears with 600 or 750s. The bags filled slow but not too crazy slow. I might could live with the speed.

One big last question. 325 versus the 340cat.
Can I hear some comments about, Is it possible to smell the difference wakesurfing or wakeboarding behind the 325 versus the 340cat.

You will notice a difference in fume reduction with the CAT ETX motor, it will produce significantly less CO2, thats what its designed to do. It still will not eliminate all the exhaust smell. I would not let it be a deal breaker, you can always add a Fresh Air Exhaust for around $400 to help with the CO2. And 15 HP wont make a drastic power difference. What will make a power difference is having the 14.25x14 wakeboard prop, this will pull hard out of the holeshot.

The Tsunami Ballast Fill upgrade I did on my boat is not difficult to do and proven to work, the JABSCO pumps they use on the '09 models also works very good. Looks like Doc has a link for another upgrade, personally I would steer clear of any upgade using sprinkler valves, they just are not reliable and in my opinion should not be in a wakeboard boat. Eventually you will have to replace those sprinkler valves, its a poor design and will give you problems... trust me, everyone who has them complains about them.

Do you have any pictures of the boat you test drove?

jonyb
02-25-2010, 10:31 PM
personally I would steer clear of any upgade using sprinkler valves, they just are not reliable and in my opinion should not be in a wakeboard boat. Eventually you will have to replace those sprinkler valves, its a poor design and will give you problems... trust me, everyone who has them complains about them.

Yes, this. That junk is coming out of my boat real soon......