PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating Tower

TayTay
02-25-2010, 11:38 AM
So does anybody know how difficult and how much it might cost to powder coat the tower on my boat? I am assuming that you would have to just remove the tower and take it in to place that does it. Any input would be great. Thanks!

dusty2221
02-25-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm planning on calling my powder guy and seeing what he will do for me. The tower will need to be broken down so the powder is coated on everything. The only thing I have not figured out is how I can leave a fishtape of some sort through the tower so when it is done I can pull my speaker wires right back through. I can't imagine how hard it would be to run wires without something already through it to pull with. I'm thinking I could use some bailing wire, have it pull through as I remove the speaker wire then just reconnect the speaker wire and pull the bailing wire back out when done. The bailing wire is rigid enought be bent and held away from the tower while getting powdered.

I'll try and call today and update here in a few.

JONBLARC7
02-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Dusty its not hard to fish the wire through. I did on my old Nautique all you need to do is tie a cotton ball to some strong fishing line. Then put the cotton in the top of you tower and use you shop vac to suck the cotton and fishing line through.

You can also use the back of a sub magnite and nut tied to fishing line. Put the nut in the top of the tower and hold the magnite against the tower and drag the nut down the tower.

First one works much quicker.

dusty2221
02-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Dusty its not hard to fish the wire through. I did on my old Nautique all you need to do is tie a cotton ball to some strong fishing line. Then put the cotton in the top of you tower and use you shop vac to suck the cotton and fishing line through.

You can also use the back of a sub magnite and nut tied to fishing line. Put the nut in the top of the tower and hold the magnite against the tower and drag the nut down the tower.

First one works much quicker.

That's pure genius.

JONBLARC7
02-25-2010, 12:42 PM
I was the same way until someone on wakeworld told me how to do it.

cmtaylor777
02-25-2010, 12:46 PM
That's southern ingenuity at its best.

I love it.

docdrs
02-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Jon , thanks for sharing those words of wisdom.Its always a goodday when you learn something new :cool:

jasonba1
02-25-2010, 02:22 PM
I had my tower sandblasted and powdercoated for 150 dollars

TayTay
02-25-2010, 02:41 PM

That seems very reasonable. Where did you get it done at? (What kind of place)

jasonba1
02-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Jim at viper had it done with some people that are right down the road from him. Thats all this place did was powder coat

TayTay
02-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Ah, I see. I know a friend of a friend who does powder coating I think. I may have to get in touch with them and see how much it would run.

ssmith
02-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Dangit Jason :mad:. Since Jim has had my boat, it seems like I call him every week to see if he can add something else to the mix. Now I may have to make another call about the powdercoating.

Kip
02-26-2010, 09:08 PM
I checked with the company we use for our powder coating and he quoted $150 to lightly blast it and coat it.

jasonba1
02-27-2010, 12:21 AM
sorry ssmith lol I know how it is as you can tell I went over board with my boat but it was worth it....your boat would look sick with a black tower it looks great now but I think that would look awesome