PDA

View Full Version : How is your I-pod mounted?

Fman
02-26-2010, 01:02 PM
I am droppping my boat off next week to have the HSE sound revolution installed along with an I-pod docking station. Currently I have the Kenwood deck with the I-pod input (not USB), and want to have a docking station that charges the Ipod as well as plays. Could you guys post up some pictures of where you have your stations installed? I am thinking I am going to have it installed somewhere on the drivers side of the boat.

Thanks!

thescott
02-26-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm using the ipod adaptor that plugs in the back of the head unit in place of the mini-stereo plug that comes stock. The plug is the Kenwood KCA-iP500 iPod Control Interface. Using this allows you to control the iPod (for the most part) from the control at the helm and the transom remote. I just plug my iPod in and leave it in the glove all day. This kenwood jack charges my 5th gen iPod video, but it doesn't charge the newest generations of the Nano for some reason.

Not sure if that helps or not. I got the iPod jack on ebay for about $40.

tg0824SSVGG
02-26-2010, 01:56 PM
I will have to get you the number, but I think I am using an IS-75 (??) interface that charges the iPod/iPhone, takes the output from the charging output (not the headphone jack) - and then I put it straight into the WS-420 - but could have run it over to the
already-in-the-boat headphone jack for the ipod.

I then have a "RAM-MOUNT" suction cup holder that's on the windshield next to the driver.

I don't use the "weatherproof" cover any more, since my iPhone won't fit in it - I am
using an iPhone specific holder (not waterproof) but I don't have the photo.

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs003.snc1/4402_1162769074553_1387647550_439656_1453608_n.jpg

Here is where the IS-75 plugs into the back of the WS-420 ..

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs043.snc1/4402_1162769154555_1387647550_439658_4135687_n.jpg

87SunSportMikeyD
02-26-2010, 02:33 PM
IS 75 right here too. Charger with the ipod-specific line out to give accurate eq out and not blow line levels.

I was contemplating using an ipod brand docking station because you can get an ipod brand remote to work on the ipod too.

thescott
02-26-2010, 02:54 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xtBIj0RxEme/p_113IP500/Kenwood-KCA-iP500-iPod-Control-Interface.html

Fman
02-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the pics... couple q's....

Todd,

I apologize for being a stereo rookie, but what is a WS-420? equalizer? If yes, unfortunately I dont have one of these. So I guess I am looking for something to plug directly into the back of the Kenwood deck. It looks like scotts recommendation might be what I am after, plug and play...

Scott,

Does the KCP Ip-500 come with a mounting bracket or just the connector for the Ipod? and it sounds like you can scroll through songs with it?

tg0824SSVGG
02-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Scott,

I 'hated' that adapter, but John (jonyb) likes his. I guess it is to each their own.

I don't have playlists -- and that adapter (straight into the Kenwood) requires
that you have them if you want to manage your iPod at all... Once connected to the
head unit, the iPod controls are useless, you have to control it from the head-unit (or one of the remotes). It is cool in that it allows you to manage the iPod from the swim
deck if you have a remote - but it wasn't for me - I sold mine, and went with what I posted earlier, and so now, I have to be "at" the iPod/iPhone to control it.

thescott
02-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Does not have a mounting bracket. Not sure youd need one - once you plug this in, it's like plugging your iPod to your computer - no more control from the iPod - you control it from the kenwood remotes when you use this. It works fairly well. The head unit and remotes will display the song title. The control from the remotes is limited. Up or down changes from playlist to playlist and of course, right or left skips songs within the playlist. Also, you can hit the random/shuffle button on the head unit and it will shuffle the playlist.
Works great for me, I'm really happy with it aside from that fact that the charging interface does not work with the newest generation of iPod nanos which a few in my group have.

thescott
02-26-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm constantly making playlists - so it works well for me.

tg0824SSVGG
02-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Fman,

Yes, the WS-420 is the equalizer - I have one in the new and old boats -- won't be without one again.

But ... Fman ... do you ALREADY have the "headphone" adapter plugged into
your head unit? I do - it came with the boat. That had to be unplugged to use
the iPod adapter. You "COULD" use the IS-75 and then take the headphone
out (what I plugged into the WS-420) and just plug it into the headphone adapter,
and have a charging solution where the iPod/iPhone is controlled using it's interface.

If you don't already have that adapter, then you probably want to go a different
route.

jonyb
02-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Scott,

I 'hated' that adapter, but John (jonyb) likes his. I guess it is to each their own.

I don't have playlists -- and that adapter (straight into the Kenwood) requires
that you have them if you want to manage your iPod at all... Once connected to the
head unit, the iPod controls are useless, you have to control it from the head-unit (or one of the remotes). It is cool in that it allows you to manage the iPod from the swim
deck if you have a remote - but it wasn't for me - I sold mine, and went with what I posted earlier, and so now, I have to be "at" the iPod/iPhone to control it.
I do like mine, and it's because I've always had my ipods set up for playlists. I use my transom remote just as much as the helm remote, and that's how the ip-500 is handy for me. It keeps me from having to get in and out of the boat to change songs. With a 30G ipod, I change the songs a lot. Plus, it charges the ipod. No mounting bracket is included. I just left the cord in the port console, plug the ipod in, and set it on top of the playpen or leave it in the console.

Thanks for the pics... couple q's....

Todd,

I apologize for being a stereo rookie, but what is a WS-420? equalizer? If yes, unfortunately I dont have one of these. So I guess I am looking for something to plug directly into the back of the Kenwood deck. It looks like scotts recommendation might be what I am after, plug and play...

Scott,

Does the KCP Ip-500 come with a mounting bracket or just the connector for the Ipod? and it sounds like you can scroll through songs with it?

You don't know what a WS-420 is??? Wow... Every forum and thread i've been on, everyone raves about them, except for Mikey, he's still stuck on his $60 Clarion. To each his own. Once you own a 420, you'll understand. PM me if you're interested. Yes, its an eq. It's also a 9V line driver to send a much cleaner signal to your amps. It has separate boat/tower/sub volume so you have independent control of everything. There's a dual-zone eq so you can control the tone on the towers, and on the in-boats separately, it has an aux input, and output. The output is to link other boats to yours, AKA you play your music on your boat, and others at the same time. It comes with a mic that mutes the tower speakers to play what you say, then the speakers come back on after you release the button. These things are so great, I've even got one in my car....

http://jonyb.webs.com/photos/04-Cadillac-CTS-V/DSC_8146.JPG

jzelt
02-26-2010, 05:48 PM
I got a FM-Transmitter that I can use for the car/truck/boat and charges. It plugs into the cigarette adapter.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+-+Auto+FM+Transmitter+for+Most+Apple%26%23174%3B+iP od%26%23174%3B+and+iPhone+Models+-+Black/8732794.p?id=1201307759251&skuId=8732794&st=ipod%20car

Change the radio station to one not being used...
I was looking at getting something that adapts to the Kenwood like others have, but for our head unit it was discontinued, and thought this route gives more options anyways.

jonyb
02-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Sound quality from FM modulators is non-existent. Going to an ipod connection that controls through the head unit is the best way to go to get any kind of sound quality.

tg0824SSVGG
02-26-2010, 07:20 PM
John,

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the WS-420. I rarely use the microphone, but sometimes do.

I bought it solely for the ability to change tower/in-boat volumes - then learned
what else it can do.

For the first time this last fall I used the "link" to hook several boats together.

I don't care who you are, that is just plain COOOOOOOL!
(gotta have a LONG cable though)

Todd

87SunSportMikeyD
02-26-2010, 07:31 PM
There are many out there who are not willing to pay $250 for every stereo component just because it is the best. Just my 2cents since ya knew it was coming anyways. ;)

My EQ gives me volume to all zones. high pass/low pass filters on my amp along with the single-zone eq control of my Clarion are more than enough for me. It is very popular in many peoples' wake boats on WW. It can use a microphone through RCAs. No boat linkup. My EQ has a 6V line driver. I have not used the WS420, I admit it. Jony is by far the expert here.

Fman
02-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Fman,

Yes, the WS-420 is the equalizer - I have one in the new and old boats -- won't be without one again.

But ... Fman ... do you ALREADY have the "headphone" adapter plugged into
your head unit? I do - it came with the boat. That had to be unplugged to use
the iPod adapter. You "COULD" use the IS-75 and then take the headphone
out (what I plugged into the WS-420) and just plug it into the headphone adapter,
and have a charging solution where the iPod/iPhone is controlled using it's interface.

If you don't already have that adapter, then you probably want to go a different
route.

Todd,

You mention the WS-420 equlaizer, does this make a difference in clarity of the music? why would you not be without one again? I am asking because I was considering having an EQ installed as well, just was not sure if it was worth the money. I have a "good" system, nothing crazy, 10" bazooka sub, 2 amps, Zapco tower speakers, kicker boat speakers, do you think I would benefit from an EQ?

Thanks for the information.

Travis

Fman
02-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Sound quality from FM modulators is non-existent. Going to an ipod connection that controls through the head unit is the best way to go to get any kind of sound quality.

John,

Ok, I am a complete rookie.... head unit, are you referring to the deck/reciever? Currently my I-pod plugs into a cord that comes out of the glove box, NOT a USB, just a simple plug-in connection that will not charge the I-pod either. Assuming this is the FM connector you are referring to?

Do you think a WS-420 would benefit my system? I dont have anything crazy, 10" bazooka sub, Zapco tower speakers w/seasick cans, Kicker boat speakers, 2 amps (Fosgate/Kicker), and the stock deck that came with the boat. What price am I looking at for a WS-420 and install? I was quoted $500 to install the HSE and I-pod station which includes all the wiring as well. They are going install the HSE on the drivers side under the dash area.

Thanks again for all the feedback, and sorry for the lame questions, I really have no experience with stereo equipment.

tg0824SSVGG
02-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Fman,

I will defer to John's knowledge about whether or not the signal is cleaned up.

I really wanted it originally for just being able (from the drivers seat) to control
in boat and tower speaker volume independently. Not only can you do that, but
the EQ function allows you to control the bass/treble/mid for tower and in boat
as well. Also control the volume to the woofer ...

Downside, not a royal pain, but not trivial to install, since you have to figure
out how to mount it - and then you have to run wires from your amp(s) to the
WS-420 and back again. Since this is nearly always on the drivers side, and the amps
are nearly always on the other side ... you need some reasonable length cables - and
I say DO NOT GO WITH THE EL-CHEAPO cables. The IS-75 would allow you to charge
the ipod and can connect to the same "headphone" jack input you use now. Nice
thing is the signal coming out the "bottom" of the ipod is WAYYYY better than the one
out of the headphone jack - (in my opinion).

They are $299 direct from Wetsounds ... I bought one from my Supra dealer that I installed in my old I/O boat - and the other from Wetsounds directly. I could have
taken the one from the old boat - but I felt it enhances the curb appeal when I try
to sell it again this spring.

Todd

jonyb
02-26-2010, 08:17 PM
John,

Ok, I am a complete rookie.... head unit, are you referring to the deck/reciever? Currently my I-pod plugs into a cord that comes out of the glove box, NOT a USB, just a simple plug-in connection that will not charge the I-pod either. Assuming this is the FM connector you are referring to?

Do you think a WS-420 would benefit my system? I dont have anything crazy, 10" bazooka sub, Zapco tower speakers w/seasick cans, Kicker boat speakers, 2 amps (Fosgate/Kicker), and the stock deck that came with the boat. What price am I looking at for a WS-420 and install? I was quoted $500 to install the HSE and I-pod station which includes all the wiring as well. They are going install the HSE on the drivers side under the dash area.

Thanks again for all the feedback, and sorry for the lame questions, I really have no experience with stereo equipment.

A line-driver helps the pre-amp (or eq) to send a cleaner signal to the amps. It helps the amps play more efficiently. So yes, it would REALLY benefit your system, no matter what you have. The outputs on the Kenwood are weak, at best.

Head unit = stereo receiver = radio

That price sounds high to be honest, but they're clearly charging you retail, which is what they're supposed to do.

It's well worth the money, especially considering all the other mods you've done.

dusty2221
02-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Fman,
Downside, not a royal pain, but not trivial to install, since you have to figure
out how to mount it - and then you have to run wires from your amp(s) to the
WS-420 and back again. Since this is nearly always on the drivers side, and the amps
are nearly always on the other side ... you need some reasonable length cables

Todd

I wondered how it was done. I was hoping it wouldn't require running more, even though it's not a huge deal.

jonyb
02-26-2010, 10:50 PM
To mount the eq in our boats, a little metal backstrapping will do the trick. You can use the pieces that come packaged with some head units. You'll need 4 sets of 12' RCA's. 1 set to the radio, the other 3 to the amps from the pre-amp. A remote turn-on wire will be ran from the pre-amp to the radio, then ignition power and ground can be found in junction blocks under the helm about 2' from where the pre-amp will be mounted.

In my 24', I ran the RCA's to the hole in the top of the shelf next to where my sub is. When you get inside the playpen where the 1100# bag is, you can see where the RCA drops through. Pull it towards you, then I ran it around the inside lip in the top of the frame for the playpen, to the other side, then up into the console the same way it dropped through on the other side. I then wire-tied it all the way around. It can barely be seen when the walkthrough panel is lifted. I'll take a picture in a couple weeks when I uncover the boat.

Taking your time is the key to making this work. If you guys crawl around in your boat, you can see how everything is wired and how easy it is to upgrade to something like this.

tg0824SSVGG
02-26-2010, 10:58 PM
John,

You are right - I have done my own in 2 boats - it is not HARD -- just have to pay attn.

venom93corba
02-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Hey guys Im not trying to hijack here but I just bought a WS 420 and am gonna have it installed and also gonna have a speaker light combo wired up and a new JL Audio M6600 amp to replace the 2 stock amps. Just out of curiosity what do you think would be a reasonable price for installation on this one. Here's a pic of the light bar also.

jonyb
02-27-2010, 04:45 PM
A price on all of it, or just the light bar?

venom93corba
02-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Im having it done all at once. Just curious on what you guys thought a fair price would be.

tg0824SSVGG
02-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Here is my "strapping" mount:

ssmith
02-27-2010, 08:27 PM
How well would this work? Charges, mounts & uses Aux.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/griffin.jpg

Fman
03-02-2010, 07:34 PM
TheScott or JohnyB,

I believe I am going to go with KCA Ip-500 Ipod adaptor. I really like the fact you can take advantage of the command center stereo controls with it. My only question is when it is plugged into the head unit can you just use the Ipod itself to scroll through songs or playlists. Or does everything have to be done through the command center/remote transom? I would like to have the option to do both.

Thanks again for all the information. Scott, I was also informed there is an adaptor to charge the 5th gen I-pods that works with the Ip-500.

thescott
03-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Unfortunately, when the ipod is hooked to the adaptor, you have no control over the ipod except through the command center/head unit/transom remote. That's one thing that does bug me. I have about 70 playlist on my ipod...so it's not efficient to jump through one playlist at a time if I want to go from say #10 to #50...but it IS quick to just unhook the ipod, select the playlist you want and plug it back in then you're good.

To clarify, this adaptor DOES charge my 5th gen ipod video. But is does NOT charge my nephew's newer iPod Nano (not sure which gen...only about 1 yr old)

Fman
03-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Is there anything available that has both options? Use the Ipod directly or the command center remotes? I am installing the HSE sound revolutuion and WSE 420 next week, would this open up some more possibilities?

87SunSportMikeyD
03-02-2010, 08:48 PM
drool over HSE

jonyb
03-02-2010, 10:02 PM
TheScott or JohnyB,

I believe I am going to go with KCA Ip-500 Ipod adaptor. I really like the fact you can take advantage of the command center stereo controls with it. My only question is when it is plugged into the head unit can you just use the Ipod itself to scroll through songs or playlists. Or does everything have to be done through the command center/remote transom? I would like to have the option to do both.

Thanks again for all the information. Scott, I was also informed there is an adaptor to charge the 5th gen I-pods that works with the Ip-500.

What they said.

Fman, not with the Kenwood.

dusty2221
03-03-2010, 12:58 AM
I use this with my iPhone and the kenwod iPod interface thing. It allows my iphon to charge and allows me to use it as an iPod for music.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/183-0777521-8197063?a=B001HN6CVA

I got it on eBay for about 8 bucks. Just an FYI to anyone looking for a charge solution for newer gen istuff.