PDA

View Full Version : waterski/wakeboard boat

msimmons
04-20-2004, 01:46 PM
We are currently in the process of shopping around for a new boat. One of my concerns is I love to waterski and wakeboard. I am afraid some of the top of line wakeboarding boats won't be good for watersking. I do like the Launch models. What are everyone's opinion on which boat would be ideal for waterskiing and wakeboarding? Thanks

mygreenmonster.com
04-20-2004, 01:59 PM
You should pick based on what you will do the most. If you will wakeboard more than slalom pick a v-drive. If you will slalom more than wakeboard pick a direct drive. Either way, make sure you get a hydraulic wake plate and automatic ballast system. That will give you a huge advantage for switching between wakeboarding and slalom in very little time. That has been my experience. ;)

Happy Golly
04-22-2004, 12:05 PM
I agree with mygreenmonster....get the boat that you want, My Wife & I waited one extra season to save up for the SSV and we are so glad we did. The SSV is great for wakeboarding and it has tons of room for family, kids, & toys! I have a friend that likes to ski and the SSV wake didn't bother him at all. You can play with the wake with the wake plate. Get the boat you want in your budget so you don't get buyers remorse. Good luck. :)

Ed Obermeier
04-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Agreed, which you'll be doing more should guide your selection. I slalom seriously but my son is a pretty decent wakeboarder. After looking at the market we bought a new Legacy in 2000. Makes a very good slalom boat and a decent intermediate wakeboard boat when we add the fat seat and extended pylon. If not buying new you can get a 99 - 01 Legacy in the 19 - 23K range.

If I were replacing it this year (maybe next year...) I'd be getting the Launch LTS. Again, it will be an excellent slalom boat while making a decent intermediate wakeboard boat with tower and factory ballast. If you wakeboard more seriously than you slalom the Launch or Launch v-drive would be my choice.

My 2 cents worth,

Ed

tifgirl
05-14-2004, 11:13 AM
Hi there. We have the same issue. Except my husband slaloms and I wakeboard. We went with the Launch SS for several reasons. You can add a larger balast system to the playpen model. Also according to the mechanics we talked to the direct drive is suppose to be a bit more reliable (not that the SSV isn't) and easier to work on. Hope this helps. We haven't actually skied/boarded on it yet. If you want to know more shoot me an e-mail after this weekend and I'll let you know the details.