PDA

View Full Version : Surf Tabs

Fman
02-28-2010, 08:41 PM
I was researching on possibly adding surf tabs to my boat. I know the new MC's are putting these on there boats, has anyone had any experience with these and if they really add to wave size/length? You would install one on both sides of the boat to add more downward push on the bow of the boat. It seems like it would help add more wave length and size. Cost would be about $1000 for both sides.

ssmith
02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Well, call me stupid.....I didn't even know these were options. Any pics of these installed?

jaywidhalm
02-28-2010, 11:17 PM
These look just like trim tabs that come standard on some of the larger cruiser style boats. I am not sure if it would give you more wake or not. If it is pushing the bow down, it is also trying to lift the stern out of the water, just like your wakeplate does coming out of the hole. $1000 seems like a lot to me when you already have trim tab and ballast. Just my opinion...

docdrs
03-01-2010, 12:19 AM
Jay , one goes on either side of the boat. Then you only put the one down on the opposite surf side (surf side tab is raised) to effectively raise that side higher out of the water thus driving the surf side deeper into the water creating an increased ballast effect on that side.

Fman
03-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Jay , one goes on either side of the boat. Then you only put the one down on the opposite surf side (surf side tab is raised) to effectively raise that side higher out of the water thus driving the surf side deeper into the water creating an increased ballast effect on that side.

This is exactly how they are supposed to work, have never seen one in action, seems like a great idea without having to add more ballast weight to your boat. Installation would not be to difficult.

jasonba1
03-01-2010, 01:17 AM
I have ridden behind a x2 with surf tabs and it does help roll the boat over is it worth a 1000 bucks im not sure i did notice a difference but cant say that it was completly drastic

dshaff24
03-01-2010, 02:38 AM
I had these on my 22 ft cuddy, I don't know if it would act any different on a ski boat verses my cuddy but if you put one side down it would actaully turn the boat and it was more of a fight to keep it straight! I used them to equal the weight out since there usually was 4 people on one side and 2 on my side!

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1329/6245701/22345274/370648145.jpg

But then at low speeds you couldn't even really tell one side was down till 15+ mph so I dunno if it would really be worth the money on a supra

87SunSportMikeyD
03-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Many new Sangers come with two or even three tabs. I have not seen it in action.