PDA

View Full Version : Replace steering cable on 1986 Sunsport

SkiLew
04-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Does anyone know where I can buy a steering cable for my 1986 Supra Sunsport. And how difficult is it to replace. The old steering system uses a steer master cable which is no longer available.

suckmywake
04-21-2004, 02:02 PM
I replaced mine w/a steermaster about 5yrs ago. It is not that difficult, however you will need to take the backseat and floorboard behind the engine out. Took me a few hours. I would try Skier's Choice direct and ask for any recommendations. Or try a dealer. It's a good time to replace that piece of flooring if you haven't in awhile.

87 Blue Saltare
04-25-2004, 09:05 PM
Go to Skidim.com and get their phone number. They'll tell you exactly what you need and how to do it. Basically you're going to thread one cable out and the other one in. You'll have to remove the back seats (screws are through the ski locker and in the floor) and the middle floor section. Depending on where your old one went bad, you may have to hammer and pull a bit. There should be several cable holders along the way between your steering and your rudder that just hold the cable in place. Un hook those, then go the the stern and unhook the cable from the rudder. Richard at Skidim told me to turn the rudder several complete revolutions to make sure it wasn't bent (apparently that is common from power turns). If it's bent, remove and have it straightened. Anyway, you just take out the old and put in the new. That is a lot easier said then it was done on my boat. My cable was all locked up at the bushing (tube) that holds the cable right before it attaches at the rudder. I had to completely disassemble that stuff before I could finally break loose the cable from the bushing.

Make sure you have the clearance up at the helm that you need. Too sharp of a turn causes the steering to be tough. Believe me...if I can do this, you can. Good luck!
David

87 Blue Saltare
04-25-2004, 09:07 PM
BTW, you'll probably have to buy a whole new helm too, but it's not too much more.

Skidim number: 803-345-0996