PDA

View Full Version : DIYWake tower install help (89 Comp)

justin146
03-04-2010, 10:25 PM
I am about to install their tower on my Comp, but I am a little unsure how I will get to the backside of the gunwales for the mounting plates. I assume that the panel that the speakers are mounted in comes off for access- or will I have to get to the backside of gunwales some other way?

The front doesnt look like it will be much issue, except for maybe the drivers side. I can see the backside at these spots.

Any advice?

87SunSportMikeyD
03-05-2010, 11:55 AM
In front I had to crawl inside the open bow and reach back into the gunwale. That was the hardest spot, very hot and claustrophobic. The fiberglass is very itchy.

For the back ones I was able to remove the cabin speakers and reach my arm up.

Make sure you make backing plates out of marine plywood. I made mine 4" x 9". I drilled a hole for the bolt in the wood, and taped the washer and nut right to the wood over the hole with duct tape. The I just held the board in place and have a 2nd person screw the bolt in.

Here is a pic
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3486/medium/DCP_58401.JPG

justin146
05-31-2010, 12:34 PM
I finally got around to trying to install the tower. The backside of where I was going to put my backing plates is not flat like it is on the outside of the hull. And I am not sure how I am going to get in there to install the backing plate on the drivers side front. I guess I will have to take the drivers seat out to even get in there to see.

I was thinking I would put some thick epoxy between the backing plates and the hull to fill the gap so I dont stress the hull.

angus2112
06-01-2010, 12:52 PM
i used a piece of 3/4 ply wood. took a router with 1/2 round bit and relived the wood where the rib is. also you will find that where the back of the tower mounts you will get a lot of flex in the haul. i had bigger stainless plates made to support the added stress. before i did that i saw some cracks appear. when you have someone getting midieval behind the boat it is trying to force the tower through the haul.