PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Head Placement

chautauquasun
03-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Looking for your opinions on where to install my new Stereo head unit. It is a Sony Marine receiver with Ipod hook up and mp3 input with cd player. It has a remote so I think I will need to leave it exposed. I am trying to decide where to put it. THinking of maybe putting it between the glove box and battery box. I also have an amp which I plan to install in the battery box area. Looks like the new Sunsports had the perfect place just below the windshield...mine doesn't have that extra shelf area. Also thought about installing it on the passenger side walk through area....what do you guys think? See the picture below to get an idea of what the boat looks like.

beast 496
03-05-2010, 09:17 AM
I am in the middle of finally installing the teak floor in our Beast. I have a Clarion system but I thought about installing a remote for the stereo also. The remote will fit great in the lower dash area just right of the steering wheel. The stereo will have to go in the storage undert the dash/deck area. I see you have an open bow, mine is a closed bow. Al

jet
03-05-2010, 10:48 AM
I have a comp which is only the same in the drivers seat. I pulled mine out of the glove-box and side mounted mine with a under the dash mount kit near my left knee on the side of the leg area so that I could reach it while driving. I maily use the XM which is mounted up near the dash on the right. this works well for me because that way I can adjust and change while driving or after a rider falls without getting up. Jet

Okie Boarder
03-05-2010, 12:10 PM
It looks like that spot on the left under the blue "pad" might be good. Mount it there with one of those waterproof covers. Have you thought about mounting a wired remote somewhere? I did that on mine and put the remote on the drivers side where it's easy to access while driving.

chautauquasun
03-05-2010, 04:01 PM
QUOTE=Okie Boarder;29096]It looks like that spot on the left under the blue "pad" might be good. Mount it there with one of those waterproof covers. Have you thought about mounting a wired remote somewhere? I did that on mine and put the remote on the drivers side where it's easy to access while driving.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...the blue "pad" is actually the dashboard door...huge storage area behind the door. I am think that maybe a good place for it because i am going to have an amp in there as well. Do I need a waterproof cover for it? It is rated for marine use but not sure if that means it can get wet. This one has the wireless remote, but have thought about mounting a wired remote in the back...

Okie Boarder
03-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Sounds like a good plan. If you put your amp inside that glove box, make sure it gets some air in there to properly cool. I wouldn't say you "have" to get the waterproof cover, but being right out there in the open it could get splashed easily and it would be extra protection. I think marine rated is more about the circuit boards being protected against corrosion than being "waterproof".