PDA

View Full Version : De-Winterization

TayTay
03-05-2010, 05:22 PM
So I have an initial question before I even start this. I covered the impeller with Vaseline for the winter. Now I have to assume that you clean most of that off, but how clean does it need to be? Will it hurt anything if there is some still on it. I am going to start this evening and I am sure I will come across more questions. Thanks!

Fman
03-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Not an expert, but probably would not hurt anything if there is some left on there. It will wash off in no-time once the motor is in the water and running.

TayTay
03-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Another question now. I am putting my V-Drive plugs back in and they are REALLY hard to get back in. They go about a turn or two and then feel really tight already. Do I just need to push through it or is something wrong! :confused:

Thanks for any input!

docdrs
03-07-2010, 04:32 PM
just makesure they are the right plugs and your not crossthreading them

TayTay
03-07-2010, 05:06 PM
They are all the right plugs. I labeled each one when last fall when I did it. I saw in note in the instructions I was using that I didn't notice last fall that said to grease the plugs or they would be hard to put back in. Well I found out the hard way what hard to put back in meant. I am working through it though! Its a big PITA though I tell you what.

Fman
03-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Tay, I would also recommend putting a little grease/anti-seeze gunk on them to make removal and installation of them a little easier in the future.

docdrs
03-07-2010, 07:19 PM
outstanding idea, antiseize compound

TayTay
03-07-2010, 08:56 PM
I had them greased up. cleaned the plugs with WD40 and a wire brush to try to clean them up good. I got them about 75% in and that is as far as they would go. It was really bizzare. I greased the threads on the engine and vdrive when I winterized it so I would have thought cleaning the plugs they would have gone in easy, but they didn't.