PDA

View Full Version : electronic ignition conversion kit

Kip
03-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Our Mariah is still using points in the distributor. Have those of you that have converted over to the electronic ignition noticed any real difference in performance and reliability. Also has anyone used the Hot-Spark kit sold on ebay it is about half the price of skidim or Napa's kit and has good reviews.

Thanks

csuggs
03-08-2010, 04:56 PM
I noticed a difference in starting mainly. Also the smoothness when you throttle up is probably because of the electronic ignition. I bought the Pertronix set from skidim and haven't had any problems. ;-)

jet
03-09-2010, 10:42 AM
The pointless kit was the best pc I ever put on my boat. Just do it! not sure what the hot spark kit is?? Jet

Kip
03-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will be changing it over before Summer.

michael hunter
03-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Kip
If you are going to change it go with a system that you can get parts and repair information on. Buying a off the wall system may require complete replacement if it fails.
I still run points. I find them very reliable and cheap to replace. However I was an auto mechanic back when all cars had points. I know them very well and I can make most ignition repairs with my Swiss army knife on the water. When new electronic systems fail its a tow back to the dock.

Kip
03-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Good thought Michael. That confirms my decision to go with a well known brand rather than a no name. Our boat started like a champ every time last year so I think I will wait until they go on sale at skidim and pick one up then.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Michael has given expert tips here!! I never thought it would be an issue, but when you are adjusting the timing of the motor or if you have to take apart the dist cap you can break parts fairly easily. The cap has a series of magnets glued onto the inside. We dislodged a magnet and it never worked the same. We tried to get generic replacement parts and they would not function properly.

We plan on completly replacing the elec ign with a brand new kit from SkiDIM.com this spring. For the last month of last season we ran point and they were easy to maintain or fix and worked pretty nice. IMHO seems to improve many performance aspects, but I'm neither a mechanic, nor a super-experienced owner here. :)

Kip
03-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Mikey what performance aspects do you feel the electronic improves? Starting, smoothness, power, etc?

87SunSportMikeyD
03-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Well I am not exactly what you would call mechanically inclined - I get by with some help. :) So I did not want to say things that are innaccurate. But yes it seems to help quite a bit with the things you listed. Also it seems to need adjustment less-often and to 'hold the tune-up' a little longer than points.

beast 496
03-21-2010, 08:57 AM
I don't even tune up with points any more. If the unit has points and condensers, she gets electronic conversion. I use either Mallory or Petronix. I usually change over 3 to 4 per year. Soon all of the points may be gone. Our customers really appreciate the easier starting and better overall performace. Some units you also have to change the rotors and caps. Al

jet
03-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Kip and Michael..Its time to upgrade!! I use to use points and about every 3rd trip out it would start to sputter and spit and even quit running sometimes, so why others drank beer and floated in the river I would be sticking a business card in between the points to separate them again. What was happening is that the lobes on the distributor were old and worn down so the points werent opening and closing properly..the only fix for this is replacing the whole distributor $$!! It never ran great. After replacing with the pointless conversion..the boat starts on the tiniest bump of the starter now..runs 100% GREAT all of the time now..smoooth idle..smoooth performance. Most likley your lobes on your dist is wearing down also..so Its not running like it should. Michael..your boat is way to nice to be running points. this is one of the easiest upgrades but also one of the most important to do. Its time..give into the dark side..

csuggs
03-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Kip and Michael..Its time to upgrade!! I use to use points and about every 3rd trip out it would start to sputter and spit and even quit running sometimes, so why others drank beer and floated in the river I would be sticking a business card in between the points to separate them again. What was happening is that the lobes on the distributor were old and worn down so the points werent opening and closing properly..the only fix for this is replacing the whole distributor $$!! It never ran great. After replacing with the pointless conversion..the boat starts on the tiniest bump of the starter now..runs 100% GREAT all of the time now..smoooth idle..smoooth performance. Most likley your lobes on your dist is wearing down also..so Its not running like it should. Michael..your boat is way to nice to be running points. this is one of the easiest upgrades but also one of the most important to do. Its time..give into the dark side..

Jet hit the nail on the head. Don't fight it . . . . do the conversion. You'll be glad you did!

Kip
03-24-2010, 04:15 PM
I agree it's time. I was struggling to do it because the boat ran like such a champ last year and I am a "don't fix it unless it is broke" kinda of guy. However with all the other repairs/ upgrades (tower, bimini, plugs, wires, gaskets,in depth cleaning, decals) I am doing this spring the last thing I want is to get it all done drop it in the lake and have it run like crap.

So make way, I'm coming over to the dark side.

jet
03-24-2010, 10:43 PM
that was so nerdy..and Im NOT!! lol

p.s. but my wife is. lol

Memmer99
03-29-2010, 01:26 AM
Does anyone happen to know which Mallory model to buy? I called Summit and ordered a kit. When it got here it was model number 61001M. On the box is says the application is 1957-1974 GM Delco Distributors which makes me think Summit sent me the wrong part. Anyone know the correct model?

87SunSportMikeyD
03-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Hah if Michael wants to go to the darkside he'll just take his other ride hehehe! I'm pretty sure he is going for the 'classic' oem feel! :) :)

michael hunter
03-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Here's the deal I'm not a stickler for the old ways but when it comes to the points I just dont have any problems. My engine only has 700 hours there is no way the distributor is worn. I am old school I started as a mechanic in 1971. Back then all cars used points.
On a car you could only go 10k before they needed replacement. I have installed hundreds of points and if they are set up right they will work great. The electronic systems are better for 99% of the people because the dont need any maintenance. For me the maintenance is as much a joy as driving the boat. I dont put many hours on the Supra these days if I did I would think about changing over.

michael hunter
03-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Does anyone happen to know which Mallory model to buy? I called Summit and ordered a kit. When it got here it was model number 61001M. On the box is says the application is 1957-1974 GM Delco Distributors which makes me think Summit sent me the wrong part. Anyone know the correct model?

My 89 351 has a Prestolite distributor the Delco parts wont fit. Check with Skidim they will help you.