PDA

View Full Version : okay - clue me in...

Tim405
03-08-2010, 10:34 PM
alright -
after owning an I/O boat for 11 years - this being my first inboard - and being a DIY sorta dude - fill me in -
impeller change - how often etc...and how is it diff from the I/O ( easy deal if you ask me) and where is this mutha at?
and...how do I adjust/check - jam nut on the driveshaft? - and lubricate the rudder?... ( 325 MPFI Indmar w/ ZF Direct Drive) do I gotta disassemble the floor to do this?...does some one sell a shop manual?...why is the sky blue?
what else do I need to know - owners manual is vague at best - and I hate not knowing!!! and I know there are some really seasoned inboard folks on here!!!
Gracias...

docdrs
03-09-2010, 01:12 AM
Impeller- at the front of the engine,where the the water line from the hull goes to the motor.....change yearly keep old as spare...all depends if you have a strainer and what water you boat in as to real replacement frequency.

Jam nut....if its not leaking doesn't need to be adjusted, or if a drop every 30 secs thats fine. yes have to remove floor panel

lubricate the rudder if you can get to it, never did on my 99 as it was a 4 hour job taking the ballast tanks out to access it

87SunSportMikeyD
03-09-2010, 11:17 AM
If someone can find me the best thread we have (here or other forums) on impellor change I will make it a sticky since it is a common question. Greese zerks should be very near the rudder, remove the floor access. They are the small sized zerks. Don't touch the shaft nut unless it is leaking.

Tim405
03-09-2010, 11:45 AM
okay - impeller is crank driven? on the front of the harmonic balancer?
and...the grease zerk for the rudder is under the back storage area/fuel tank area?
I'm gonna go after this stuff month of April...pray for the welfare of the boat!!!

Okie Boarder
03-09-2010, 12:40 PM
If your layout is like our older ones, the rudder zerk is up under the gas tank. You can probably completely remove the doghouse and the center floor panel to see what kind of access you have. You may have to pull out the rear seat to be able to reach the rudder.

Yeah the impeller is is belt driven. It will be on the front of the motor to the starboard side. You will see a belt extending over ther that spins that "pump". Follow your inlet raw water hose around to that side of the motor and there it is. The impeller is in the housing on the back side. A few bolts removed and the back comes off. Pull the old impeller, swap it with a new one, put it back together and you're good to go.

Tim405
03-09-2010, 02:43 PM
figured out what "name" they gave that motor in 1998 - it's the "Monsoon 325 MPFI " ( looks just like the ramjet 350 I have in a hotrod )
the impeller if I recall on the r/w pump is on the crank - dead center -
did some surfin on here ( ya'll are great by the way!) and google - got an indmar shop manual comin - and found the impeller on skidim.com... I think that will help me on my way to becoming capable and keep this out of the hands of the local shops- last resort! ( Here in OKC area the boat shop parts guys are never in nor do they return my calls...) I figure if I taught myself how to work on the wife's Volvo wagon - this should be pretty straightforward and less hassle.