PDA

View Full Version : Ratchet tie-downs

Fman
03-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Anyone using the ratchet tie downs that mount onto the trailer? I saw these on the boatmate website and am thinking about ordering them, not sure how difficult they are to install? I like how they stay on the trailer and make it easy to hook and unhook the tie down.

Pics anyone of your ratchet tie downs?

http://www.boatmateparts.com/products/Ratchet+Tie+Down-tag-Ratchet+Tie+Down/Ratchet+Tie+Downs+%28Pair%29-t-71-1051.htm

tg0824SSVGG
03-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Travis,

Those came on my trailer. I LOVE them. Use them all the time.

I can't say how hard they were to install, cause they were already there - but they attach to the tabs that the bottom of a "free strap" would go into with a bolt.

DO IT!

Gravity08
03-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Ive seen a couple of trailers at the dealer with them. I personally dont use them. Ive been told the boat is heavy enough to keep itself in place. Id also be afraid they would rub the back of the hull.

Fman
03-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Travis,

Those came on my trailer. I LOVE them. Use them all the time.

I can't say how hard they were to install, cause they were already there - but they attach to the tabs that the bottom of a "free strap" would go into with a bolt.

DO IT!

Todd,

Got any pics? Sounds like they just bolt onto the loop hole on the current welded bracket? Wow, that sounds too easy!

McDye
03-10-2010, 10:16 PM
I would guess that attach the same as these BoatBuckles..

http://www.immioutdoors.com/boatbuckle/transom/products_transom_g2.htm

jonyb
03-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Heavy enough to keep the boat in place? That's complacency. The boat CAN and WILL come bounce around if something happens.

Fman, I installed the Boat Buckles on my trailer. 1 bolt. That's it. You can install them quicker then it took to type this thread on your first post. You can also have the boat strapped down in less than 10 seconds, and unbuckled in the same amount of time.

Buy them, they're beautiful.

Gravity08
03-10-2010, 10:37 PM
I went to the link for the boat buckle. I didnt see a price. Im curious what they cost.

tg0824SSVGG
03-10-2010, 11:08 PM
I will try to get some pictures.

I did add a small part of the "transomsaver" that I installed where the straps could
touch the hull.

However - and take this as you will, I will NOT transport a boat without transom
straps.

Go to the wakeworld site (a link was also here) to see the carnage about a boat
that even had the transom straps that was flipped out - across the median on the highway --

Gravity08
03-10-2010, 11:34 PM
For some reason the wakeboarding area will only let me see 3 threads. Am I blocked for some reason?

tg0824SSVGG
03-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Gravity,

I can also only see 3 --- I think that is all there are in that one.

Todd

Gravity08
03-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Sorry. I mis read the post. i thought it said wakeboarding on this site. It said wakeworld... College did me well.

jonyb
03-10-2010, 11:51 PM
The only good the straps will do is if you run off the road. That could come from someone forcing you off, coming into your lane, etc.... I've seen threads with 42' Nortech powerboats that weigh at least 12,000 pounds that have come off of the trailers before.

tg0824SSVGG
03-11-2010, 12:02 AM
The WakeWorld article:

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774080&highlight=lane

Refers to the details here:

http://www.centurioncrew.com/Weekend-this-t1894.html

TayTay
03-11-2010, 12:14 AM
I have only hear great things about those transom straps. It seems so much easier than the standard ones. I also agree that you should ALWAYS use them. Its worth the extra 30 seconds to put them if that is going to save a 20-80 thousand dollar toy of yours.

Gravity08
03-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Those pics make me sick. I just never thought of it like that.

Fman
03-11-2010, 02:07 AM
Thanks for all the good feedback (as always on this site), I have always used transom straps but they are a pain to hook up and re-attach everytime. The Boat Buckles look like the ticket. Going to order some up tomorrow....

Cheers! :D

JONBLARC7
03-11-2010, 10:18 AM
I put them on my last boatmate trailor. It mabe took 10 min to install and I'm ordering some more for the new trailor. It takes litteraly 15 sec to strap your boat down. Thats worth me not having to worry aboat the boat shifting during transport.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=32050&pdesc=BoatBuckle_Retractable_Transom_Tie_Down_Syst em&aID=603J&merchID=4006

tg0824SSVGG
03-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Jon,

THose are exactly what is on my boat (came with them)

tre
03-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Those came with my boatmate trailer as well so I can't speak to ease of install. I can speak to ease of use - they are so simple. I never want to be without these again.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Don't they require D-shaped eyehooks to be installed on your transom? Wouldn't that require pulling the gas tank or rear ski locker in a DD? I suppose they would be easy to install in a V-Drive.

The reason no one is seeing posts in the wakeboarding forum is that you are only displaying posts from the last 30 days. That can be adjusted on the bottom of the page when viewing the wakeboarding sub-forum.

JONBLARC7
03-11-2010, 04:11 PM
I believe mine already has a D hook on the transom and my old super sport I just hooked to the swim plateform like alot of other Nutique owners did without any issues for 3 years.

Fman
03-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Jerry at boatmate said they are a direct bolt-on to the newer boatmate trailers, it will be nice to have them permanently mounted and not have to track them down every time.

jeilers1
03-11-2010, 08:37 PM
I put them on 2 boatmate trailers last year (08 supra and 07 moomba). I used the boat buckle brand (cabellas) and they install in 5 minutes and work great. Straps are always on the trailer and easy to find. I also installed one on the front for a safety strap. It was a little harder to install because I had to drill out a hole, but still relatively easy.

jaywidhalm
03-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Jerry at boatmate said they are a direct bolt-on to the newer boatmate trailers, it will be nice to have them permanently mounted and not have to track them down every time.

I had these on my old I/O, and bought a pair for my dads boat for x-mas. I loved them. It was hard to give them away as a gift. I will be getting a set for my own again before summer!! I used to throw the old straps in the back of my truck, and was always worried about people stealing them. No issues with these.