PDA

View Full Version : First Outing

TayTay
03-13-2010, 03:26 PM
So I just got back from my first outing and it went fairly well. The boat started right up. The heater took quite a while to get blowing warm air, but it eventually did, and we needed it! The ballast filter was leaking initially but I got that screwed on better and that's working good. The only downer is it looks like the prop shaft might be starting to leak again. I had the packing repacked last summer and the mechanic said that next time it will need to be replaced so that may be happening this spring. All in all it was a good morning. Tomorrow, weather permitting, we are going to take to family out for a picnic on the water. Oh, the water temp is 43 so its still pretty dang chilly. Excited to be out on the water though!

Gravity08
03-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Great to hear. Tomorrow is the day for us...

csuggs
03-13-2010, 10:16 PM
OK I'm jealous!
Glad you guys are getting out already. It's always interesting to see how things are going to go the first time out each season. Have a happy and safe outing tomorrow!

ScottnAz
03-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Good stuff!
The kids are on Spring Break, so we're hoping to hit it a couple times this week. Of course, it's a little different down here in AZ. Water temp is probably mid to upper 50's. I'll be trunkin it :D

tg0824SSVGG
03-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Jealous here. Our water is still 32 degrees, although that ice is looking softer
each day!

Gravity08
03-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Last post for a few hours. Got her loaded and headed that way!!!

iwakeboard
03-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Plan to dewinterize Friday, atleast that's the plan.

chautauquasun
03-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Plan to dewinterize Friday, atleast that's the plan.

Very jealous...I have forgotten how nice it gets this time of year down your way. We lived in Knoxville for about 18 months and your post reminded me how quickly it warms up down there. Back here in Western PA we still have another 2 months before boating becomes reality again.

iwakeboard
03-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Very jealous...I have forgotten how nice it gets this time of year down your way. We lived in Knoxville for about 18 months and your post reminded me how quickly it warms up down there. Back here in Western PA we still have another 2 months before boating becomes reality again.

Yea man, it's absolutely a great place for being a boat-person, with all the water and the weather. It's supposed to be 64 and sunny Friday. As long as the forecast out from Friday doesn't show any freezing nights I'm definitely doing it.

Fman
03-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Forecast for Roseville this week is in the low 70's and sunny, water temps are still in the low 50's which is mighty cold... a couple more weeks and it should be getting close to heading out. We are usually out the first week in April :) for those already in the water, you are die hards!

Fman
03-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Good stuff!
The kids are on Spring Break, so we're hoping to hit it a couple times this week. Of course, it's a little different down here in AZ. Water temp is probably mid to upper 50's. I'll be trunkin it :D

What Lakes do you visit in your part of Arizona?

Skylar18
03-14-2010, 07:04 PM
First outing was yesterday, about 75 degrees. Boat ran great! However, all the cigar boats were out doing about 80 mph. Had a great trip to a restaurant on the lake. Wife decided she wanted to drive back to the marina.

Cigar boat goes by throwing a huge wake. She turned right into it and unfortionately the wave went over the bow. Soaked the inside pretty good.

5 minutes later another cigar boat was coming perpindicular to us as we were going across the lake. She didn't punch it to get out of the way as she was still shaken up by the big wave that soaked the boat. I asked her what she was doing and she said she had the right of way. I told her that was true but I was pretty sure the cigar boat didn't care.....I was right, he didn't slow down or turn.

I took over the driving at that point and got us out of harms way.....Somehow though this became all of my fault......

Oh well, first argument on the lake this year. We didn't have any last year so I guess we were due...

ScottnAz
03-14-2010, 07:42 PM
What Lakes do you visit in your part of Arizona?
We spend a lot of weekends at Roosevelt. We hit Canyon a couple days a week after work (on water by 3 or 4, off @ dark). We'll do Bartlett a couple times throughout the season.
I avoid Pleasant Lake because it seems there is a death there every weekend, plus it's a haul from the east side of PHX. And, finally, during the season, I avoid Saguaro like the Plague. I let the party animals have the lake.

How well do you know the area? Ex-resident, or frequent visitor?

Gravity08
03-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Great day. Little windy but nice. Here are the stats for the day...

TayTay
03-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Those stats look nice. We took the family out today and floated down the river to a nice restaurant that has a place you can dock the boat and go eat. I ride back up the river this evening was kinda chilly but it was worth it. Was a good time.

Fman
03-15-2010, 01:02 AM
We spend a lot of weekends at Roosevelt. We hit Canyon a couple days a week after work (on water by 3 or 4, off @ dark). We'll do Bartlett a couple times throughout the season.
I avoid Pleasant Lake because it seems there is a death there every weekend, plus it's a haul from the east side of PHX. And, finally, during the season, I avoid Saguaro like the Plague. I let the party animals have the lake.

How well do you know the area? Ex-resident, or frequent visitor?

Sister in law lives in Yuma, AZ. I have never been to any lakes in Arizona, was not aware there that many available. But it sounds like there are plenty, glad you were able to get out and enjoy the water, hoping to get some soon myself. Shooting for first week in April, weather is looking good this week, low 70's and Sunny.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-15-2010, 11:07 AM
AGGGG you guys are making me so jealous!!! We had a 60 degree day yesterday in MN which is totally freakish and abnormal. It was awesome! But no boating lol! Lakes are still iced over and rivers are down (dams are lowered in winter).

For some reason the first outing makes me nervous! Not because I think we will sink, but just.. Well it's a lot to think about the first time back out! :)

Skylar I have had the same arguement more than once lol!

iwakeboard
03-15-2010, 11:41 AM
When you all dewinterized your boat, was there anything to even do? I know some tech's, when they winterize the boat, set it up with some antifreeze so when the summer comes you can just hit the lake and go. I had a guy I work with winterize mine, he left everything out and hoses unhooked for the winter. I think I can hook it all back up (NOC Sensor, hoses, plug, etc) but is there anything to do before that? Do I need to run water through the engine before starting it? I don't have a kit to start it at my house or I'd do that, but the lake is only 10 minutes from me so it's not a big inconvenience to just tow it. I just want to make sure I'm not omitting something vital to the dewinterization process, otherwise I'd just plug everything back up and go.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-15-2010, 02:21 PM
My boat is a lot simpler than your newer boats to dewinterize. My only request is please do not run your anti freeze out in the lake or storm water drain!!! It is a MYTH that is is not harmful to lake, plant and animal life and human life to SWIM in your own antifreeze is just silly. Google marine/rv antifreeze and you can find plenty of supporting documentation. With my boat I put a bucket under the FAE downpipe and run the boat on a hose. Dump it away from any body of water or bring to auto shop. Thank you from your lake!