PDA

View Full Version : Oil Drain Pump

Gravity08
03-14-2010, 10:09 PM
I first started by taking the cap off of the factory oil drain hose. I took it to the local hardware store to find correct fittings. The fitting consisted of the following. (sorry if I dont have the corrent name for all)

(2) 1/2 to 3/8 reducer
(2) 3/8 to barb
(1) 1/2 ball valve.
(4) hose clamps
(1) left over speaker wire
(1) inline fuse holder with 10 amp fuse
(1) package of positive and negative clamps

I found the smallest ball valve they carried. This is used to make sure that pressure dosnt force oil through the pump into your engine compartment. At first I had it plumbed strait into the pump. I called a friend of mine and he said that I should probably install the valve.

The hose is a 3/8 id fuel hose. I think that I bought about 10-12 ft. I had a little left over.

Gravity08
03-14-2010, 10:32 PM
I then went to a local farm and ranch store (Attwoods). I located the portable sprayers (units on wheels for use behind tractors / movwers). They carried all differnt sizes, volume rates, and prices. Flow rate was not an issue for me. The pump I chose was the cheapest. It came with 3/8s barbs on both intake and exhaust side. Another reason that I chose it. I believe the pump was about 65 dollars. The pump included hardware to mount.

I mounted the pump on the inside of the engine compartment (photo shows pannel from inside the storage locker). I had to loop the intake hose arround to the transom side of the pump for proper flow.

The exhaust hose was left long enough to reach to the swim platform. I installed a 3/8 to barb on the end of the exhaust hose. I then installed the factory hose end to the fitting to cap it off.

I used some left over speaker wire for power and ground. I used small jumper cable clamps for connections. I thought about jooking the pump up to the aux switch on the dash but decided against it. I didnt want anybody turning it on and burning it up.

I am by no means a professional. This is just me tinkering arround trying to make my life easier. I had a portable oil pump loose its connection and spray oil over me and the back of my boat ( 10 hours new). I swore that there had to be a better way and this is what I came up with. Any questions? Just shoot and Ill try to answer.

Fman
03-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Cool mod, talk about making it easy for an oil change! I might add that to next winters list. Well done...

Fman
03-15-2010, 01:06 AM
I then went to a local farm and ranch store (Attwoods). I located the portable sprayers (units on wheels for use behind tractors / movwers). They carried all differnt sizes, volume rates, and prices. Flow rate was not an issue for me. The pump I chose was the cheapest. It came with 3/8s barbs on both intake and exhaust side. Another reason that I chose it. I believe the pump was about 65 dollars. The pump included hardware to mount.

I mounted the pump on the inside of the engine compartment (photo shows pannel from inside the storage locker). I had to loop the intake hose arround to the transom side of the pump for proper flow.

The exhaust hose was left long enough to reach to the swim platform. I installed a 3/8 to barb on the end of the exhaust hose. I then installed the factory hose end to the fitting to cap it off.

I used some left over speaker wire for power and ground. I used small jumper cable clamps for connections. I thought about jooking the pump up to the aux switch on the dash but decided against it. I didnt want anybody turning it on and burning it up.

I am by no means a professional. This is just me tinkering arround trying to make my life easier. I had a portable oil pump loose its connection and spray oil over me and the back of my boat ( 10 hours new). I swore that there had to be a better way and this is what I came up with. Any questions? Just shoot and Ill try to answer.

Could you post up the name of the pump/model # you used?

TayTay
03-15-2010, 09:23 AM
That is pretty awesome. I have had the hose come loose on me once I got oil everywhere as well. Its a pain in the butt! I also might try something like this in the future. This would fall under one of our $100 mods probably :D

87SunSportMikeyD
03-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Good job and GREAT writeup!!! Thanks very much for your contribution! :) FYI you can use code to make the line in your signature into a link to take people right to this thread.

Code to put in your sig (remove the spaces at beginning and end):

[ URL = "https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?p=29958"]My Custom Oil Drain Pump![ / URL ]

Gravity08
03-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Here is a pic of the pump by itself.

tg0824SSVGG
03-16-2010, 06:16 PM
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=2071

http://www.jfoakes.com/DelavanDiaphragmPumps.htm

PowerPro Series 2200 Specifications:

Motor:

Type:

12 VDC, permanent magnet, thermally protected, splashproof
Leads:

14 AWG, 9" long
Duty Cycle:

Intermittent

Pump:

Type::

Positive displacement, self priming, capable of being run dry
Liquid Temperature::

110oF (43oC) Max.
Priming Capabilities::

4 feet (1.2 m) suction lift
Max Pressure::

40 psi (2.8 bar)
Pressure Demand Switch::

Shut-Off: 40 +/- 5 psi (2.8 +/- 0.3 bar) factory setting

Turn-Off: 25 +/- 5 psi (1.7 +/- 0.3 bar) factory setting

Inlet/Outlet Ports:

3/8" Hose Barb

Materials of Construction:

Motor Housing::

Nylon 6/6
Pump Housing::

Polypropylene
Valves::

Viton
Diaphragm:

Santoprene
Fasteners::

Stainless Steel and zinc plated

Weight:

1.25 lbs

I am assuming that Viton and Santoprene are safe with hot oil?

tg0824SSVGG
03-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Santoprene properties (and a table of materials (http://www.vp-scientific.com/polypropylene%20properties.htm) it is resistant to)

Viton: (recommended for use with petroleum products)
Viton® oil seals feature excellent resistance to petroleum products and solvents. They have good high temperature and low compression set characteristics. They are suited for use with wide chemical exposure situations and for hard vacuum service.

dusty2221
03-16-2010, 09:06 PM
^Assuming those links confirm the engine oil will not harm the pump components?

On another note, I randomly got a northerntool cataloge in the mail today and they have this pump for $39.99. Same specs, manufacturer is northstar. I believe I will order it and swing by autozone and lowes to get the other few pieces. I will most likely leave the wiring independent from the boat and use small clamps as well to just jump to the battery when I need an oil change, this way there will never be a chance if accidently powering it. I'm assuming the existing oil drain hose is 3/8s and will hook directly to the suction side of the pump, or did you have to remove it and lengthen? I've never even looked for it.

Gravity08
03-16-2010, 09:20 PM
I put the ball valve onto the stock hose. Then used the 3/8 fuel hose to span the distance to the pump. The diaphram pump linked above may be a better thing. It accepts threaded fittings. You then could use hydraulic hose. This would leave no change that a hose clamp wasnt tight enough.