PDA

View Full Version : Spare prop?

Fman
03-15-2010, 09:23 PM
I am considering buying a spare prop this year. I believe my boat has the OJ 14.25x14, is there anything else I need to know when ordering one? I went on ski-dim and could not find this model in the 14.25x14.

Is there any other place you guys would recommend to purchase a spare prop? Even used or rebuilt possibly. I can see this is not going to be a cheap investment, looks like around $500-$600 with the prop puller.

Also, OJ or ACME???? Is there a difference?

Thanks...Travis

tg0824SSVGG
03-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Don't know Travis -- I have 2 of the same OJ prop, bought the spare
the day I picked up the boat --- from the dealer.

isn't this it?

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OJ470 (call them to confirm, but I paid about $519)

csuggs
03-15-2010, 09:44 PM
I purchased my spare from the Supra dealer in Maryland. He happened to have a reman in stock for around $200. Then I shipped the other prop off to be remanufactured at a cost of about $115. The place I got my reman was called Proper Pitch in Delaware. Look them up on the web - they may have some remans in stock.

Here's the link.
http://www.properpitch.com/used_inboard.asp

Fman
03-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Don't know Travis -- I have 2 of the same OJ prop, bought the spare
the day I picked up the boat --- from the dealer.

isn't this it?

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OJ470 (call them to confirm, but I paid about $519)

Todd,

Thats it.... I must have missed it.

Thanks

TayTay
03-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Travis, let us know what you end up going with. I am looking into getting a "wakeboarding prop" and keeping the one I have, 14x18.5, as a spare.

tg0824SSVGG
03-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Fman,

You a member of USA Waterski or another org that gets you a 10% discount at skidim?

My purchase the other day was discounted by nearly $40 there ...
Todd

Fman
03-16-2010, 03:11 PM
I found an OJ 466 14.25x14 for $499 from AWS, and an OJ 470 from ski dim with the same 14.25x14 dimensions. Do you know what the difference is between them?

http://www.activewake.com/oj-466-wakeboard-inboard-prop.html

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OJ470

Fman
03-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Travis, let us know what you end up going with. I am looking into getting a "wakeboarding prop" and keeping the one I have, 14x17.5, as a spare.

You will dig the 14 pitch wakeboard prop, it pulls very hard and plains the boat extremely well. Lots of torque!

TayTay
03-16-2010, 06:52 PM
I am sure I will. I just have to find the extra $500 bucks laying around, THEN convince the wife that we NEED a new prop, not a very easy task, lol. That's the thing, technically we dont NEED it, ours is fine, it just takes a little longer to get on plane with full boat and full ballast. We will see what happens. Maybe I will come across a used one or something.

tg0824SSVGG
03-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Tay Tay,

Do you have a spare prop in case you hit something? I alwasy tell folks they
should have a spare _on the boat_ just in case.

My wife understands this - but part of that is because we go to Lake Powell
several times a year where if you lose a prop, you will pay thru the nose for one
there (because they can) or you go home early.

Just a thought.

Fman
03-16-2010, 09:20 PM
I am sure I will. I just have to find the extra $500 bucks laying around, THEN convince the wife that we NEED a new prop, not a very easy task, lol. That's the thing, technically we dont NEED it, ours is fine, it just takes a little longer to get on plane with full boat and full ballast. We will see what happens. Maybe I will come across a used one or something.

Tell her it will pay for itself by saving you gas, which it will eventually. Also takes a little load off your engine.

TayTay
03-16-2010, 10:29 PM
We are sitting at the table right now on our computers and I was reader her this post and she says "I never said you cant get a prop, plus you'll end up getting one anyway" lol. So maybe I will get one. Todd brings up a good point too about having a spare.

dusty2221
03-16-2010, 11:04 PM
My wife always ends up saying "you're gonna do what you want so just do it"

remember, it's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

beast 496
03-16-2010, 11:27 PM
why would you even ask or even bring up the conversation. Would they even find out? Or say, "Hey babe, did you hit the last time you drove the boat, we now have a vibration. I guess we better get a new prop, thanks." It might be worth a try. lol Al

Number45
03-17-2010, 10:02 AM
I have the 2005 22SSV launch that I have just bought and have never drove yet. It has the 13.5x17.5 OJ prop on it. I have been thinking of getting the "wakeboard prop" for the spare the 14x14 OJ. How much can I expect to loose on the top end with this prop? The previous owner said the boat top end was about 42-43mph. We will be using the boat mainly for wakeboarding but I would love to learn how to barefoot. If I goto the 14x14 will I still be able to barefoot or would it require a change in prop? Also I have read several things that the 14x14 can hit the trialer or there can be clearance issues. Anyone know anything about that?

Thanks, Kevin

87SunSportMikeyD
03-17-2010, 10:45 AM
I know many people have prop stores but I had a great experience through http://www.nettleprops.com/

JT Nettle talked me through everything, he even knew I had been browsing the site for a few days! He gave me about $100 off just a great deal $345 or something... Might be different for your four blades but it was a brand new prop design. Also it had a minor tuning issue so they took it back, fixed the tuning issue and returned it to me, overnight both ways, at no charge. Crap I need to send it back to them to get the dings out!! :)

tg0824SSVGG
03-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Beast, that approach would NEVER work at my house ... I have been married for 29 years, so at my house - I use the approach that works best.

Your house is probably different.

Skylar18
03-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Nettles props is the best. They are here in Austin where I am and they are great. I had dent in one of my blades, Nettles quoted me $175 to fix. When I went to pick it up they said it was easier than they thought to fix and charged me like 90 bucks. I never would have known the difference.

Amazing finding someone that honest in this economy!

Fman
03-17-2010, 06:11 PM
I have the 2005 22SSV launch that I have just bought and have never drove yet. It has the 13.5x17.5 OJ prop on it. I have been thinking of getting the "wakeboard prop" for the spare the 14x14 OJ. How much can I expect to loose on the top end with this prop? The previous owner said the boat top end was about 42-43mph. We will be using the boat mainly for wakeboarding but I would love to learn how to barefoot. If I goto the 14x14 will I still be able to barefoot or would it require a change in prop? Also I have read several things that the 14x14 can hit the trialer or there can be clearance issues. Anyone know anything about that?

Thanks, Kevin

I have the 14.25x14 1 1/8 shaft OJ prop w/340 HP CAT ETX motor, my top speed is about 41-42MPH at 5,200 RPM. I rarely peg it, but this is what I was able to cap at. I cruise at 30-35 mph, I think you gain so much by having the wakeboard prop, it will give you better fuel economy, performance in the holeshot and take a little load off the engine, especially when surfing.... I did not buy my boat to go 50+ MPH, I could care less.... but if this is important to you then I would stay away from the 14 pitch prop.

jasonwm
03-17-2010, 07:24 PM
I found an OJ 466 14.25x14 for $499 from AWS, and an OJ 470 from ski dim with the same 14.25x14 dimensions. Do you know what the difference is between them?
The pitch and diameter of 466 and 470 are the same, but they have different cup measurements.

Thanks, Kevin
You'll probably struggle to top 35 towing a footer. That's fine for someone that knows what they're doing, but will be a little slow for learning. You can always swap props when you know you're going to foot though.

beast 496
03-17-2010, 07:43 PM
I usually just don't ask. If we need something such as spare prop, new tires, teak flooring. I just surprise her. Al

TayTay
03-19-2010, 10:22 AM
I know many people have prop stores but I had a great experience through http://www.nettleprops.com/

So I emailed Nettle Props a few days ago and I got a response to have me give him a call. Well I did, and JT was extremely helpful and truly a nice guy to work with. I haven't ordered the prop quite yet, but when I do, it will be from Nettle. Two Thumbs Up!!

Fman
03-19-2010, 12:13 PM
So I emailed Nettle Props a few days ago and I got a response to have me give him a call. Well I did, and JT was extremely helpful and truly a nice guy to work with. I haven't ordered the prop quite yet, but when I do, it will be from Nettle. Two Thumbs Up!!

I contacted JT as well yesterday, I think I will go with him as well... seems like a nice guy, still going to about a $500-$600 hit with the prop puller kit. Hate to spend the money on this right now, but what a drag to loose a prop and end your day or week on the lake. And I can only imagine how much they would charge at the marina for a new prop.....

Salty87
03-19-2010, 12:18 PM
i should take pics of Nettles Prop Shop next time i'm there...which i hope is no time soon. they've got all kinds of cool old stuff, i think some of the dust is older than me.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-19-2010, 03:22 PM
I would love to see pics of Nettles!