PDA

View Full Version : What should i watch out for on 80's Sunsports??

robby_kue7
03-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Im looking to buy an 80s sunsport and i have limited funds to do so. im worried that when i get it home ill find there is a problem that is too difficult or expensive to repair. does anyone have any suggestions on wat problems to look for and/or wat are the general flaws with this boat regarding over all use and wakeboarding use???? Also wats a fair price if these boats have certaint flaws?:?:

sc_beerbarge
03-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Im looking to buy an 80s sunsport and i have limited funds to do so. im worried that when i get it home ill find there is a problem that is too difficult or expensive to repair. does anyone have any suggestions on wat problems to look for and/or wat are the general flaws with this boat regarding over all use and wakeboarding use???? Also wats a fair price if these boats have certaint flaws?:?:

So far I've run into 1 with a cracked block (94 model though) and an 87 with the stringers rotted by the motor mounts.

Biggest issue is the stringers.

Do a search. Tons of great info on this board. I've spent the last couple weeks reading quite a bit.

csuggs
03-18-2010, 11:38 AM
You'll want to check the floor and stringers. After you do that, you should check the stringers. There are lots of good threads on here about stringer rebuilds - including mine. Oh, and did I mention to check the stringers??

87SunSportMikeyD
03-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Prices for boats in good condition, good interior and no noticable stringer damage should be from $5-8k for an 85 - 88 SunSport. 89 - 94 should be in the $9-12k range.

Walk around the boat barefoot and feel for soft spots. Take the cushions off the rear bench seat and feel the wood inside. Open the engine box and look at the main stringers and engine mounts. Good luck!

chautauquasun
03-18-2010, 04:38 PM
If you are on a budget and looking to buy one on the cheap be prepared to replace the floors and stringers. With all of the 80's boats it is not a matter of IF it is a matter of WHEN, you will have to replace the floors and stringers. Like Mikey said above a an 80's sunsport before they upgraded the stringer material is going to go for 6-8000. If you are looking at on for less 4500 or less I would say to check the floor and stringers very closely. You can anticipate spending 2500-5500 on new stringers and floors. I would stay away from the 2500 or lower stringer quotes. I probably would not want to spend any more than 3500 for an 80s sunsport that has not had the floors and stringers replaced. Because you will need to spend at least another 3500 to have the stringers and floors done.

I bought mine for 2000 2 years ago and got basically 2 years of light use out of it but I am having the stringers and floors replaced on mine this year. Also keep in mind if you are on a budget prepare to spend money on the engine and steering/rudder...here is a list of things that I have also had to replace

New Starter
New Coil
New Battery
New Water Cooler
Rebuilt Carb
New Shaft packing
New Selinoid
New Plugs
New Impeller (probably going to need to replace at least every 2 years)
Mine also needs a new helm, steering cable and rudder seals.

Fortunatley I have been able to most of the engine work myself.

oh did I mention the dinged up prop and strut bearings????:D

I would say if you are on a budget, if you can buy one in the 7-8000 range that has had the floors and stringers replaced you maybe better off. If you are looking for a project and enjoying working on boats like me then look for one that needs work...again factor in a stringer and floor replacement in its future.

Things to look for, look closely around the motor mounts. If the stringers are going bad you will see the mounts cutting into the fiberglass. or you will be able to see where the mounts originally were and where they moved. You can also tell if the motor is leaning forward or to one side or the other. If that looks good, have the owner remove the front and back lag bolts and look for rotten wood or wet wood in the threads. Also check the steering wheel to see how hard it is to turn. It should turn very smoothly and easily with one hand. Mine takes two at slow speeds to turn it...helm and steering cable needs replaced.

If you buy a fixer uper think long and hard before your fall in love with it, because if you do fall in love with it can be expensive. ;)

87SunSportMikeyD
03-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Well... I dunno... if you get it for $2k, spend $3.5k on stringers and $2.5k on interior, that is $8k before mods and well under what many of us have spent.

chautauquasun
03-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Ha...yeah Mikey I hear ya. In hindsight I probably should have worked on him to go lower...but I figured I could do all right for 1950. Regarding the upholstery I think your quote is a little high I have had some for much less.

Oh and Mikey, I know you lose sleep over this very subject every night and I hate to bring it up, but like I said above, it is not IF it is WHEN...so your day will come too....so add that to whatever you paid.:D

Any mods would add to the value so if you are buying a good one for 7,000 the the balast and tower would raise the going rate.

dshaff24
03-19-2010, 09:36 AM
IM estimating 10-11k with my full restoration/updating/ etc etc

87SunSportMikeyD
03-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Oh and Mikey, I know you lose sleep over this very subject every night and I hate to bring it up, but like I said above, it is not IF it is WHEN...so your day will come too....so add that to whatever you paid.:D

Cry cry cry

chautauquasun
03-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Cry cry cry

Sorry buddy...misery loves company.

Salty87
03-19-2010, 11:13 AM
it's the rare 80's supra that doesn't need a rebuild. i think it all comes down to storage and/or a really good cover. if the boat was stored indoors all the time, you might be ok. if it's been stored outdoors and gotten rained on at all, expect some water in the foam and that ultimately means rebuild. by the time soft spots start showing in the floor, the stringers have been wrapped all cozy in wet foam for a long time.

even with a good cover, water can still find ways into the foam like the exhaust pipes.

don't ask me about fat sacs and old floors.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Well I am holding on to some hope with mine. It had two owners and the full history is known. Always stored in a garage all season. Original interior in fantastic shape with zero rips, floor in good shape with two new silver-dollar sized soft spots, and carpet still in great shape no tears just worn. The rear bench seat base has some minor issues, as does the cooler cushion/cover and the drivers seat cusions only. When we installed the FAE we were able to evaluate the transom/muffler surrounding wood condition and it was all top shape no wet or dry rot.

Tony128
03-19-2010, 04:05 PM
I also have a 1986 supra sunsport, that is in great shape, owned the boat for 4 year's and there are no soft spot's anywhere in the floor and the motor mount bolt's are tight, engine has been great no problem's... there are still good 80's supra's out there if they have been take'n care of... I had to replace the steering cable and the tranny that's about it... the interior was in perfect shape, but I'm having it redone. because of friend's dog's they tore up my seat's and dog house... that suck's..

chautauquasun
03-19-2010, 04:24 PM
I would agree they are out there...but not for $2500.

Tony128
03-19-2010, 04:33 PM
just saying not all are rotted out!!!

robby_kue7
03-20-2010, 02:22 PM
thanks for the info guys i appreciate it

87SunSportMikeyD
03-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Tony good to hear, how come we haven't seen a crapload of pics from you, HUH?? :)

Tony128
03-22-2010, 04:06 PM
I'll post some when I get the boat out!!!

87SunSportMikeyD
03-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Tone You will have to start a thread! Tell us more! How much weight you run, how is the wake, do you surf?

edit: if my name was tony I would totally go by "Tone" how cool is that