PDA

View Full Version : what to know before I buy!

sivs1
03-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Looking to purchase an 89 TS6M. Seller states it runs great, but has a soft spot in the floor around the drivers seat. Should I run? What's involved in fixing the soft spot? Any advice?

dusty2221
03-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Do a quick search on Stringers. Or look over some of the rebuild threads going on right now. Okie's is really nice. I'm not sure, but I believe all of those complete makeovers were a result of a "softspot"

TayTay
03-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Here are some threads on stringer rebuilds...

http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=4753

http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=5132

http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=2871&highlight=saltare+rebuild

http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=5355

I am sure I missed a few, sorry for those if I missed yours it was nothing personal, lol.

sivs1. Look through these and you will get an idea what a soft spot in the floor means.

sivs1
03-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the links, one big question, do I have to pull the motor? Can the floor be replaced without pulling it?

dusty2221
03-18-2010, 10:35 AM
The plywood floor itself can be, but not the stringers.

We re-floored my 84 Malibu (which is for sale btw) and only removed the seats and bases and took out the gas tank and the dog house.

sivs1
03-18-2010, 10:53 AM
By looking at the other posts, sounds like I'll have to also do the stringers. I am hoping to get this boat for under 2,500, so I am thinking even with the work, it is a good deal.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Sivs yes that would still be a good deal. Assuming you slalom/barefoot?

sivs1
03-18-2010, 03:44 PM
I ski, wife doesn't so thought this might be a good option, maybe get a boom to help train her and my son! I'll probably be the one pulling tubes around the lake. lol

87SunSportMikeyD
03-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Just keep in mind the comp sits very low in the water, has low sidewalls (low freeboard) and the nose likes to dive on waves

sivs1
03-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Alright, that last response has me nervous, I'll be on some rough water and at times busy water. Now I am thinking of going a different route, last thing I want to do is bury the nose at 30.

dusty2221
03-18-2010, 09:14 PM
You won't be doing 30 across rough water in a boat like that. If you are, lord help your passengers and keep Tylenol handy!!!

mapleleaf
03-18-2010, 09:14 PM
sivs, Mikey's right they sit low, I buried my nose a couple times last year, you'd be hard pressed to do it at 30, it's more at idle rolling back through your own wake, or someone else's. The more driving time I get in my Conbrio the better I get at avoiding the swamp!!!!!
Dusty's got a great point too!!! Maybe some 5 point harness's would be a good idea!!! LOL

sivs1
03-18-2010, 09:55 PM
lol, tylenol! Last two questions, is the TS6M a cruiser, could we use it just to go out and cruise around the lake? And, how does the 89 TS6M compare to an 88 Malibu Skier?

dusty2221
03-18-2010, 10:07 PM
I have no experience with the TSM, but I have an 84 Skier, closed bow, and it's about as far from a cruiser as you could get for water with any kind of chop. With that said, our new 20ssv, after just a test ride it's 100% smoother. The 20ssv and the tsm look similiar in regards to the freeboard and how much the nose dips. I guess it really all comes down to the hull shape.

ngavchris
03-19-2010, 06:25 AM
The direct drive inboards are not really built for cruising or for rough water. If you are going to be in rough water all the time you will hate these boats. With the engine being right in the middle of the boat, the boat hits wakes like a rock. You truly have to drive an inboard with a different mindset. If you plan on lots of cruising, you will drink alot of gas. These boats are built for pulling. Imagine driving a car in first and second gear all the time. With that said, I would not trade mine for anything. I love the hole shot power and I can keep the boat at a constant speed even with a huge load on board. We have friends with Inboard/outboards who on rough days leave me in the dust because the lake is to rough for me to run faster than 20. We try to find the narrow areas of the lake looking for smooth water, which is definitely not Lake Lanier on a Saturday. I would go take a couple of test rides and make sure this is the type of boat you are looking for. Good Luck.

csuggs
03-19-2010, 08:48 AM
If you're worried about chop and other wakes; if you plan to be on a very busy lake with lots of other boats, then I would be looking at the Sunsport rather than the Comp. I have a Sunsport and my friend has a Comp. The Comp is like a sports car -low and lean, very nimble. The Sunsport still has a lot of that same character, but in a deeper boat that offers more protection in rough water. Both are fun to drive.
As for cruising, I can run about 26-27mph without getting into the secondaries on the Holley 4-barrell. It's really not too bad on gas that way. If you want to race around the lake at 30 or better these boats will do that, but you're going to pay for it in gas. They are set up for the hole shot, lots of torque for pulling up skiers (or multiple skiers for that matter). Top end on mine is around 41 or 42mph. That's with a 1:1 ratio transmission and the factory 13x13 prop. You can get different results with other props and transmissions.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-19-2010, 09:32 AM
^^^^^---- what Clint said! Comps are great but they are high-performance boats ONLY. Selected as the best slalom boat in 1985 by WaterSki mag, the same year they debuted the SunSport. It is literaly designed for early morning glass set. Close your eyes and you can see it....

The SunSport (or Marauder is a closed bow version of SunSport), is a great 19.5' cruiser with high sidewalls, high nose, the boat sits very high out of the water, and it has one of the deepest and steepest deep-v bow keels of any inboard of this era. It is great in chop and if you set the wakeplate down on a rough day it helps even more.

There is also the Saltaire (or ...ummm what is the closed bow saltaire called? Not the Bravura that is a closed bow Mariah which you also do not really want (sorry Mariah owners). There is quite a bit of selection but the SunSport is your goal. Many love the Saltaire too but it is 24' with a 454 big motor.

chautauquasun
03-19-2010, 09:41 AM
I have the Rider which is basically the design as the Sunsport. Lake Chautauqua is where we run ours and it is a pretty windy and busy lake. Lots of chop on the weekends. Even with the bigger boat like the previous post said...it plows through the water and is a pretty rough ride on choppy days. I love the inboard and bought it for skiing and starting wakeboarding.

My dad has an I/O and it no doubt handles the chop better than mine but it doesnt have the power adn torque to have an enjoyable day skiiing. His is a deep V but can get a little scary if you are taking too sharp of a turn...gets a little tippy. That is one great thing about the supra inboards, they are very stable and the turning capablity is unmatched.

sivs1
03-19-2010, 09:46 AM
The SunSport sounds like a better option, a more rounded boat. What are the chances of finding one for $2,500? At that price what are the chances it runs? I was looking at the Comp because I am a skier, but the rest of the family is not, so the SunSport might be a good compromise.

chautauquasun
03-19-2010, 09:57 AM
The SunSport sounds like a better option, a more rounded boat. What are the chances of finding one for $2,500? At that price what are the chances it runs? I was looking at the Comp because I am a skier, but the rest of the family is not, so the SunSport might be a good compromise.

Okay now I will refer you to the thread just below yours titled

What should i watch out for on 80's Sunsports?? (https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=5779)

That will give you a good idea of what you are getting into with a $2,500 Sunsport.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-22-2010, 12:34 PM
SivS1 you can definitly find a SunSport for $2500. They generally need a bit of work, like stringer and floor replacement, maybe interior but maybe it's ok. Engine tuneup, and few mechanical items replaced. After all that you could be in for $6-9k total.