PDA

View Full Version : Interior and Exterior Cleaning Products

dusty2221
03-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Alright guys, it's getting closer and closer to that time! I know there are a few threads recommending products here and there, but I thought a consolidated thread of anything you used on the inside and outside of the boat would be nice.

I've heard the 1/2 Vinegar 1/2 Water in a spray bottle makes a great wipe down spray after a day on the water. This is the route I'm planning on using this year. One other thing I use, on damn near everything, it something called Protectall. It's a polish/cleaner and really leave everything nice, slick, and shiny.

What have you had luck with regarding the vinyl? I've read 303, but I went to their website and they list several products. Specifically, which one have you used?

Lets list everything!

tg0824SSVGG
03-19-2010, 02:22 PM
I nearly exclusively use "Babes" products. I use "Babes Boat Brite" as the daily wipe
down -- Babes Spot remover when I have been on the water long enough that spots
develop. I also use the vinyl cleaner and protector.

They are a little more money, but I have had great success with them.

Better than the other stuff I have used - perhaps except "Ducky Spot Remover".

(buying by the gallon helps with the cost).

87SunSportMikeyD
03-19-2010, 03:14 PM
The big 'underground' vinyl cleaner going around wakeworld right now is Exquisite from ebay, mention wakeworld for a discount I think. Like $10 for a litre I think, pretty good deal. Vinyl is visable brighter next to a generic cleaner. Still requires a lot of scrubbing/rubbing.

michael hunter
03-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Vinyl cleaner- Malco leather and plastic cleaner
Vinyl protection- 303 protectant
Gel wipe down at ramp 1/3 white vinegar 2/3 water spray
Gel cleaner,polish and wax - Poorboys products

KY Steve
03-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Wipe Down:
2 parts water, 1 part white vinegar & 1 cap full of Armor All Ultra Shine wash and wax.

Wax:
PB Blaster Auto Polish. Leaves the hull so shiny and slick it looks and feels wet, I've never used anything like it and its easy to apply. linky: http://www.pbblaster.com/Auto_Polish.html

Vinyl:
Exquisite to clean and 303 Protectant to condition

tg0824SSVGG
03-19-2010, 04:30 PM
The other thing I forgot to mention, is that in place of wax, I use "Nautical Ease (http://www.nauticalease.com/products/ultimate.htm)".

It's amazing .. :)

I don't like hard work, and this stuff isn't much work at all:

From the site:

No more back breaking polishing for me!
Well, let me introduce Nautical Ease Polish with its innovative silicone formulation that’s not a wax. Since Nautical Ease uses a silicone base, it dries to a very thin "no sweat to remove" layer…a radical departure from wax. That means you won’t have to kill yourself to get the stuff off. In fact, a 4 year old child buffing with his favorite blanket can wipe this product off like nothing! We’ve watched them do it. Not much muscle required, obviously!

Shiny boat in HALF the time!
The long overdue silicone formulation in Nautical Ease Polish dries to a very light haze that wipes off EASILY. In an actual test, 3 coats of Nautical Ease Polish were applied in the same time that it took to apply just 1 coat of a carnauba wax based product. Since it’s so easy to remove, your polish time will be cut in half with a lot less muscle involved! Oh, and by the way, actual tests have shown that if you don’t wipe it off for as long as one year, it still dusts off with virtually no hard pressure. (Try that with wax and you’ll be lucky to get it off.) Whether you’re an avid boater, weekend enthusiast, or just down right obsessed with the appearance of your boat, I’m sure you’d rather have more time enjoying your boat than cleaning and waxing, right?! Don’t take my word for it, try it and compare.

It seems incredible, but virtually no white powder!
If you’re tired of the dusty white powder from that thick wax residue that fills up towel after towel and cakes around decals and other trim, you’ll love the fact that our unique product was formulated to leave virtually no powder residue. Not only do you not have to take extra time brushing powder from around decals and trim, Nautical Ease Polish is also safe for use on decals and actually helps prevent fading. In fact some polishes can‘t be used over decals…read their labels

Is Your Boat’s Finish Something to Brag About?

"Boaters stop me on the water to ask how I get my boat that shiny!"
If people aren’t noticing how awesome your boat looks, you’re probably using carnauba wax. Many products will give you a shine. But it’s that shine that has depth that makes your boat stand out from the rest. Side by side comparison reflection tests were done between carnauba wax and Nautical Ease Polish. The Nautical Ease test side revealed mirror-like results, with reflections that were more crisp and clear compared to the hazy-like reflections of the wax. That’s why when you use Nautical Ease Polish you’ll get asked, "What are you using on your boat?"

Awesome shine in half the time!
Nautical Ease Polish goes beyond a shine, giving you a deep glass like finish. You know that "show car" finish. Every coat of Nautical Ease silicone based polish builds a deeper and deeper glass like shine. With this easy to use polish you’ll get all this shine in a third of the time it takes to put one coat of wax on your boat. Why would you use wax?!

Where did the scratches go?
Look down the side of your boat and if you have been using rubbing compound, like most boaters do, you’ll see fine scratches. When you put several coats of Nautical Ease Polish on your boat, you automatically fill in scratches as you polish. As you build a deeper and deeper shine, fine scratches from rubbing compound and washing disappear. That’s just one bonus you get using our polish. Improve the look of your boat, get that glass like shine and get rid of scratches all in one easy step. Get that "brag about finish" that you just can’t get with wax.

KY Steve
03-19-2010, 04:36 PM
I've also had the best luck with Hot Rims Mag & Alum. polish on all the aluminum.

Fman
03-19-2010, 04:38 PM
I use 303 products for interior, I also use 303 protectant on my Z-5 top at the beginning of every season.

For after boat wipedown I use Driven, heres the link... the stuff is awesome, leaves a brilliant shine and removes all water spots. I also use there boat wax which holds up very well in extreme conditions. The combo of using them both is a great package.

http://www.driventoperfection.com/shop2/index.php?l=product_detail&p=18

Razzman
03-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Malco all the way, your vinyl will never look better. Keep it it looking good with Babes Seat Soap and Seat Saver. 303 a couple times a season.

For the record, if you live where there are hard minerals in the water you can forget the vinegar/water, it doesn't work. Those with lighter colored boats may think it does but look again, it still leaves a barely perceptable mineral ring. On my black hull it might as well be a mirror cause they all show. I have to buff/wax twice every season and use Babe's Boat Bright immediately after pulling from the water.

Skylar18
03-19-2010, 06:50 PM
We have very hard water here in Austin and the 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water doesn't work at all. I hate using Babes and Ducky as it seems to take the wax right off. I wouyld rather not get spots than using those chemicals on my boat.

I was cleaning my boat next to two professional detail guys here and they both recommended using Star Brite Premium Polish with PTEF. I was a bit dubious but it really does a great job keeping water spots off my boat and it leaves an unbelievable shine.

For the interior I use 303 protectant religiously and I keep cleaning it every time I go out and it still looks like new.

jaywidhalm
03-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Anyone ever use any Meguires waxes/polishes? I have heard good things about them as well.

Okie Boarder
03-20-2010, 04:42 PM
I use Meguiar's Quick Detailer every time I wipe the boat when we pull it out for the day. I also use their vinyl protectant ever 3rd or 4th time out. They seem to work well for "maintenance". For good buffing, polishing, waxing, etc I have used 3M products with good results.

Salty87
03-20-2010, 08:16 PM
i got some of that exquisite cleaner for the vinyl. i was kinda surprised how dirty the seats were the first time i used it. i haven't tried the malco yet but i might after the exquisite is gone.

i wipe the hull off at the top of the ramp when we're done for the day. it's worked well so far, just don't let the hull dry and everything wipes off for me.

for compounding i'm with okie...3m. i've had the best results with their heavy duty marine compound. then i use finesse-it to polish and really get a deep shine. by then i'm usually done and don't bother with wax. i used to use a cheapo buffer from harbor freight but i killed it last time i buffed.

michael hunter
03-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Hey Salty
I always dry off the boat with a towel as well. I though it looked good and never went further untill wax time. I started using 30% white vinegar and water spray 2 years ago.
I was pleasantly surprised how much better it looks any hidden water spots were gone.
I think it depends on the water your in but it work great here.

ScottnAz
03-21-2010, 10:33 AM
I used a combination of Babes and 303 interior cleaning products all last season. I just finished my first major cleaning to start this season and used the Exquisite cleaner on the interior. I was/am both shocked and embarrassed at how dirty the interior was. I swear I keep a clean boat, I'm embarrassed to even post the picture. :o

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/photo2-8.jpg

I use Meguiars Flagship Marine wax on the exterior. Wax on - wax off just like Mr. Miyagi taught, applied 3 or 4 times throughout the summer. I was using vinegar/water for a while, but also thought that was taking the wax off. Now I just keep the boat waxed and the water/spots wipe right off the boat with a wet/dry towel wipe down after pulling out of the water. When it starts to take a little extra elbow grease to get the water spots off, then I know it's time to wax.

There have been some great products suggested in this thread already, I plan on trying a few of them out this season. Thanks

michael hunter
03-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Scott
Try the Malco on the area you just cleaned you will be shocked again.

jzelt
03-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Well MH, I have ordered a bottle of Malco based on Scott's pics and your recommendation that it will be even better.

I also use Meguires Flagship Marine wax.
And the Meguires Mag and Aluminum polish for the tower/fenders on the trailer.

I have used 3M Cleaner/wax on the prior boat and follow with Meguires Caranuba (blue bottle).