PDA

View Full Version : Bad weather this weekend...

Gravity08
03-19-2010, 10:06 PM
While we were eating the temperature droped 19 degrees. They are claiming 2-4 inches of snow. Makes me feel real good about going out last weekend (now that the boat has been sumerized). We just got back from putting our heating blankets over it. Guess I need to pay closer attention to the forcast in the future.

jonyb
03-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Well that was unexpected.

I normally don't get mine ready until around Mid-April. I have been boating in late March in the past, but the weather's too unpredictable then, plus the boat was a Baja and wasn't any fun if other people weren't out to tie up to.

cmtaylor777
03-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Texas weather is crazy. I was sure we were on the warming trend. I just drove my brother in law's GSXR around Lake Sonoma today. 70 degrees. I actually saw a wakeboard boat out there on a glass surface. I picked a good week to get out of Texas.

tg0824SSVGG
03-19-2010, 11:28 PM
75 on Wednesday, as I look out right now - there is a foot of snow -- Sunday will be 60, but this is spring here in CO ... haven't even TRIED to get the boat ready.

Good Luck!

mapleleaf
03-19-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm with Todd, boat is still under cover and a tarp, with the weather in the 60's I'm more worried about mold!!!!!!!! If you're already on the water I seriously envy your geo. location!!!!

Okie Boarder
03-20-2010, 04:44 PM
We're getting snow here in OK as well. Crazy but not completely out of the question.

dusty2221
03-20-2010, 04:53 PM
I was hoping to unwinterize ours today to and take it for a cruise...Not a chance. Maybe next weekend. Hopefully this will be the last freeze for north texas

docdrs
03-20-2010, 04:55 PM
they were still driving trucks on the lake 2 weeks ago!!! But not anymore... can you say early spring?

GravityQueen
03-20-2010, 05:32 PM
It started snowing about 12 today. We just got done feeding the cows and Im drinched...

scotthons
03-22-2010, 05:04 PM
I had a 3 hour delay in Dallas on Saturday night because of snow and they ran out of fluids to de-ice the plane. I thought that was kind of crazy seeing snow like that in Texas.

This is only my 2nd winter ever having to truly winterize a boat. I moved from California and never worried about it before. I am itching to get the new boat on the lake since I have not even seen her on the water yet. Do we need to wait until it stops dropping below freezing during the night? I have heard others say that as long as it is not continuous days of staying below freezing you should be fine.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-22-2010, 05:09 PM
MN is all sun and fun! 60s for week and a half, snow is gone, grass is greening up, the boat launch and shorelines are ice-free!!!! This is unheard of here, our average now is 36!!!!! This is whacko but I love it! My boat is all snow-free and dried out now. Almost time to get the cover off, and check her over for piece of mind. Then - engine work!

Okie Boarder
03-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Scott,

You take a chance if it freezes, even for just one night. The risk is minimal, but there is still risk. However, if it looks like you might get a couple freezing nights over a period of several weeks, you could take measures to keep the block warm enough not to worry. There are several different things you can do that work very well.

You store the boat outside, right?

scotthons
03-22-2010, 05:37 PM
The boat is stored in a fairly ghetto storage unit. It is all enclosed, but basically it is a tin warehouse with dirt flooring and each unit is separated with chain link fencing. They each have their own doors. There are no electric outputs though.

Okie Boarder
03-22-2010, 05:51 PM
I'd be interested to see how cold it gets in there. It has to be a bit warmer than outside. Then, inside your engine compartment would be even warmer than that. It may be feasible just to wrap the motor in a thick blanket. I dunno. If it was me, though, I wouldn't chance it.

tg0824SSVGG
03-22-2010, 07:12 PM
at the risk of $6-8k for a new motor, when I bring my boat to the lake before
the end of hte freeze season (or after the start) - I drain the block and the heater
core (and shower) EVERY time. I have gotten good at it, takes about 10 minutes now.

For me - cheap insurance, and sure beats not being able to use the boat until
Mid-May and not after 3rd week in September.

I start using boat in early April and stop in mid November - I don't want to chance
a frozen block.

If you have a heater for the driver and passengers, it doesnt' take much for that to freeze and you're in trouble.