PDA

View Full Version : oil in motor compartment

SUPRA LIZZARD
05-12-2004, 12:33 AM
I just recently bought a 02 launch when I was looking at it I noticed that under the motor area was sort of greasy and dirty when I mentioned it to the salesmen he had told me that the previous owner had tried to change his oil and let it drain out in the motor area. The first couple of times I took it out there was some normal water in the bilige area but quite a bit of oil also I just figured it was from the water sloshing around mixing with the oil. I looked very extensively to find oil leaks anywear there is a small threaded hole just above the oil presure sending unit is this hole supposed to be pluged with any thing? there is a small amount of oil around the area but not enough to definatly say there is a leak. My other question is about oil pressure I know it goes up and down due to rpm but to how much is normal mine goes to nearly nothing at idle up to about 60 70 at full throttle. any info will be helpful thanks

matt_e
05-21-2004, 10:05 AM
This is what my 2003 launch manual says:
"If the oil pressure remains below the normal range of 20 to 40 psi, stop the engine immediately. If the engine is allowed to run while the oil pressure is too low, permanent engine damage may occur"

BigWaveDave
05-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Pull the sending unit and put a manual gage on the engine to verify your situation.

360degrees
05-25-2004, 05:12 PM
Wow, I just bought a new 03 S launch in April. After about 10 hours on the engine, I also noticed an extremely large amount of oil in the bilge area.

I wiped out the bilge area with paper towels. I noticed what seemed to be a small leak around the oil filter so I wiped it clean. Not easy as it is hard to get under to the filter.

I then cranked my engine and let it run for about 1 minute. I then reached down and put my hand around the oil filter and it was covered with oil.

I could not tighten the filter by hand, nor could I remove it. I pulled it to my closest marina and got a new filter. That seems to have taken care of the situation.

May want to check your oil filter. Maybe Indymar received some bad one???

Although when I removed the original filter, it looked fine.