PDA

View Full Version : Current '08 Moomba LSV owner considering a 24SSV

.264 magnum
03-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi all,

As mentioned we have an '08 LSV (20.5 ft, ~3,300 pounds, 96" beam, 39 gal fuel tank).

We boat on Lake Lewisville TX almost exclusively as we have a slip and lift there and it's 10/12 minutes from our back door. Anyway Lewisville is prone to significant chop from both wind and high boat traffic including a great number of very large boats. Our LSV, although great fun in every other way, is not great at dealing with chop. Through chop the ride is very rough and sometimes we resort to crossing the lake a 9-12 mph in order to avoid a trip to the dentist. Filling the front bag some helps as does dropping the wake plate some.

However, in looking at both the Moomba XLV (~23 ft, 3,650 pounds, 98" beam?, 50 gal fuel tank) the extra size and weight is one factor another is the hull is quite different than the LSV. With a deeper V that goes further back under the boat.

Now to the 24 SSV. This boat is much bigger (24 ft, ~3,900 pounds, 102" beam, and 50 gallon fuel tank). It appears to have an even more pronounced V that runs further back under the boat.

A. What do you folks think about how much better the 24 SSV might ride versus my LSV?

B. Does anyone happen to have any experience in a 24 SSV on Lake Lewisville? I can and will arrange a test drive but I'm curious what you folks think.

C. What are your thoughts vis a vis the 24 SSV and wakes for surfing?

Thanks a bunch.

Gravity08
03-21-2010, 04:29 PM
We've been on lewville a couple of time. Both days werent realy busy and fairly calm. Im sure that lewisville and pk are about the same on a busy day. The boat will handle rough water well. Ive always filled the front bag on rough days. There has been several days that Ive managed to jar everyones heads off their necks though. I have boarded behind an lsv and the 24ssv. I prefer the wake of the 24ssv the added room, and the warranty. As for the surf wave. I can get it to about thy to hip depending on the number of people in the boat. This summer we will try with the bigger ballast.

Matt Laird
03-21-2010, 06:40 PM
I have a ssv24 and trust me the boat is awesome.. even on Lewisville The only thing if you plan on pulling it very far... make sure you have a diesel or atleast a 3/4 ton...

jonyb
03-21-2010, 07:26 PM
The only thing if you plan on pulling it very far... make sure you have a diesel or atleast a 3/4 ton...

I second that statement. I've towed my 24 Gravity Games boat with several different trucks, and the only ones that even did well were the diesel's. Even a 3/4 ton 6.0L 2500HD didn't do very well.

KY Steve
03-22-2010, 08:26 AM
The 24 is an awesome boat, it makes a giant wake and does well in rough water. We boat on a huge lake that gets really nasty in the main part and there's not many other wakeboats that can run with me out there.

A couple things I've experienced since jumping up to the 24 is towing, as mentioned above, and boat handling. Boat makes larger radius turns and you can feel the size and weight at low speeds especially when docking. I also recommend the extra horsepower engines when using the ballast.

Overall a great boat, but the LSV is pretty nice as well.

iwakeboard
03-22-2010, 09:17 AM
You definitely feel the size of the boat when handling/docking it, but it handles great in rough water. I just recently stepped up to it, from a 17 ft I/O, so I get a little nervous in tight areas (my first outing with it was a giant fireworks festival, bout had a heart attack). You want to have a good approach to the trailer when docking it, and you want to move carefully, haha

87SunSportMikeyD
03-22-2010, 10:03 AM
I dont have a 24ssv but I will venture one tiny comment - just from having seen the hull of the few-years--older LSV in pics versus the Supra hull is a big difference. Even on my 87 it handles chop like a dream. Most waves are nearly impact-free. And yes I will ALWAYS lower the wake plate in chop. Just a bit though, not too much or the bow gets low. Good luck and we would love to see a pic of your LSV!

I love how these forums are getting closer together........ How can we encourage this?

Oh and I can get a thigh to belly button wave on my 87 SunSport so you guys with the big boats need to step it up! ;) ;) ;)

jet
03-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Magnum, I have been boarding and surfing behind the ssv now for 2-yrs and ride behind the 08' lsv also. Both are GREAT boats but are night and day from each other. I have also taken my lil supra across that lake on normal days 1'-2', through thunder storms storms 2'-4' seas and even at night time.. nose up 8-12 mph 3' waves Its not fun in my boat, lol. With the ssv you can't go wrong, Its the Supra flag ship and It throws what ever kind of wake you like plus the surf wake is HUGE. the rear facing seat and xtra storage is a big plus and you will love it. The lsv is a great boat but small in comparison. We also pull the ssv with a regular 1/2 ton truck, we are 10 mins from the water with no hills and Its not a prob to pull it. No big bugs to talk about..the sundeck doors have loosened a bit and one of the water sprinkler heads went out but nothing big. Its a fantastic boat and as far as lewi, the traffic and secret spots, PM me if you need anything more. Jet

87SunSportMikeyD
03-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Damn it Jet get some pics! :)

jet
03-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Heres my wife surfing, windy day, not much weight. She was still learning.

dusty2221
03-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Jet-you need to check into the Memorial Day thread. Several of us are going to be at Platter Flats..you should join.

jet
03-22-2010, 12:55 PM
WHAT?? Where..when??

Gravity08
03-22-2010, 01:26 PM
We've got plenty of room

Fman
03-23-2010, 04:51 PM
Magnum, I have been boarding and surfing behind the ssv now for 2-yrs and ride behind the 08' lsv also. Both are GREAT boats but are night and day from each other. I have also taken my lil supra across that lake on normal days 1'-2', through thunder storms storms 2'-4' seas and even at night time.. nose up 8-12 mph 3' waves Its not fun in my boat, lol. With the ssv you can't go wrong, Its the Supra flag ship and It throws what ever kind of wake you like plus the surf wake is HUGE. the rear facing seat and xtra storage is a big plus and you will love it. The lsv is a great boat but small in comparison. We also pull the ssv with a regular 1/2 ton truck, we are 10 mins from the water with no hills and Its not a prob to pull it. No big bugs to talk about..the sundeck doors have loosened a bit and one of the water sprinkler heads went out but nothing big. Its a fantastic boat and as far as lewi, the traffic and secret spots, PM me if you need anything more. Jet

Jet,

The dealer will warranty those sundeck screws and replace them with locking nuts, this will take care of the problem. I never figured out why they put sheet metal screws into fiberglass, its not a good set up and will never hold up with the vibrations in the boat.

jet
03-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Nothing I can't care of myself..

Fman
03-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Nothing I can't care of myself..

I agree, I just had my boat down for a couple other little items and they offered to replace them for me.

.264 magnum
04-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Sorry for the abysmal response time. I want to thank everyone and I will respond more in depth later. Thanks again.