PDA

View Full Version : Pylon vs. Tower

csuggs
03-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Most of you probably know that my boat is presently at Viper Customs being restored. We are also adding a tower because my sons want the higher pull for wakeboarding and because I want to be able to take advantage of the rear bench seat while towing. However, I have decided to keep the pylon as well for for pulling a serious slalom skier or multiples or, even tubes - yes tubes. I'm thinking that the pylon will be better for towing where there's going to be more drag. Thoughts?

beast 496
03-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Towers are not meant to tube from anyway. Good idea to keep the pylon. Al

OneCent
03-21-2010, 07:24 AM
I would keep the pylon too, you have then the maxium flexibility for watersport.

michael hunter
03-21-2010, 09:03 AM
I still have the pylon. If I pull the wife without a spotter I can rest my hand on the rope and instantly feel if she goes down even if I can't see her in the mirror. I also have a barefoot boom attachment for the pylon.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/SkiDogHHRSupraPicture017.jpg

Okie Boarder
03-21-2010, 10:37 AM
I'd say do what works for you. We only have two friends that slalom that come with us a couple times a year. They're perfectly fine being pulled from the transom ski hook. We decided to leave the pylon out. Sounds like you have a strong enough reason to keep it in.

michael hunter
03-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Oki look at your posts number in the above post. Post NOW and get that changed.

chautauquasun
03-21-2010, 01:07 PM
I bought my boat so that i could continue to slalom ski. I have found as I have got older, fatter and weaker I can no longer pop myself up behind any boat and got tired of being dragged while my dad's boat got on plane. I am keeping my pylon but will probably add a tower next year. My son is really looking forward to start wakeboarding but also wants to learn how to slalom like his old man. altought I guess I have slalomed with a tower as well so maybe it isnt as critical for that but the kids do love to tube so...No doubt it takes up space and is a pain with the rear seat...but we are keeping it.

Okie Boarder
03-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Oki look at your posts number in the above post. Post NOW and get that changed.

LOL! Feel better now? ;-)

Kip
03-21-2010, 04:10 PM
I would definitely keep the pylon if you are going to be skiing. I have always felt like I am being pulled over the front of the skiis when being pulled off of a transom hook, or you can't cut as hard when going off of an extended pylon.

csuggs
03-22-2010, 08:17 AM
I didn't realize anyonw towed from the transom - I didn't think it was made for that.

tg0824SSVGG
03-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Yup - I pull tubes from the transom, but I waterski from the pole ... but on my
V-drive, the pole "collapses" -- and is only out when I need it to be.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Confused - couldn't u pull skiers or tubers from the transom ring? You gain a LOT of space by removing the pylon. I would never go back. Also if you pull anything from the pylon you cant have anyone sit in the rear bench seat or you cut their heads off!

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3486/medium/Picture_037.jpg
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3486/medium/wPicture-047.jpg

Kip
03-22-2010, 11:12 AM
You can ski from the transom ring but I always feel like I am being pulled down, or over the front of the skis. However on our Mariah the transom ring is only about an inch above the swim platform. I would guess that the Sun sports would have it mounted higher since they have about 6" more free board.

iwakeboard
03-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Mikey, looks like some Natty Light out on a buttery morning! Ahhh, summer! :D

chautauquasun
03-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Using the eyes on the transom is how I grew up skiing with I/Os. We used a harness that went across the transom that connected to two eyes on each side. I am curious where else did you attach the rope for skiing?

87SunSportMikeyD
03-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Kip I agree, if I REGULARLY pulled skiers, or high-skill skiers, etc, then I would keep the pylon for sure. But if I just had a buddy who wanted to ski or tube, the transom ring would do just fine.

IWB - :D :P Saliving just thinking of it....

Kip
03-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Using the eyes on the transom is how I grew up skiing with I/Os. We used a harness that went across the transom that connected to two eyes on each side. I am curious where else did you attach the rope for skiing?

With our I/O and old outboard the transom ring was mounted a lot higher above the water ( 1 1/2 - 2 ft )than on our current boat (4 - 6" ) . I think even if our transom ring was mounted where the light is rather than just on top of the swim platform it would have helped.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-22-2010, 03:07 PM
That is kinda funky, ours is right under the rub rail.

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3486/medium/Picture_043.jpg

michael hunter
03-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Whenever I pull tubes from the ring the rope gets hung up on the wake during whips.
Also the wife says the rope is too low and drags the water when she skis.