PDA

View Full Version : Wakeskating? anyone?

Fman
03-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Is anyone wakeskating these days? I just picked up a wakeskate a couple months ago and have heard its a lot easier on your body than wakeboarding, especially when you fall.

Just wanted to find out if anyone here is riding wakeskates? Any pics? Tips?

mapleleaf
03-21-2010, 07:45 PM
the thing I noticed was that the board can get away form you quickly......
Very forgiving though!

saltare inverts
03-21-2010, 09:12 PM
It is more forgiving for just riding. If you start doing tricks it can hurt. Specially when the board hits you in the face. I must admit, I love to charge at a double up, hit it hard fly up then dive into the water with no board. Very cool feeling.

dusty2221
03-21-2010, 10:13 PM
My wakeskate experience is different from you guys! I know one speed on the wakeskate, which is balls out! I've had just as many painful skate crashes as board crashes! I give it a go everytime. Eventually I should improve....I hope, lol.

KG's Supra24
03-21-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm with saltare inverts, I find it difficult to do tricks but its a lot of fun to hit the wake hard and fly as far as you can!! I'd say when you start trying tricks, though, the falls are just as hard if not harder.

If you have any experience skateboarding I'd think it would be alot of fun.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-22-2010, 02:34 PM
I usually try wake to wakes but not yet successful. Surface 3's, attempted ollies, one wake 180s, butter slides are pretty easy. Shuvits are hard. Body varials are funny - miss the board and BUBBLE- pencil jump underwater.

KG's Supra24
03-22-2010, 08:01 PM
From my experience, when you Start working on the ollies and shove-its is when the falls become harder than wakeboarding. There isn't a gradual fall. One second a board is under you and next your face is against the water. I wish I could try jumping the wake like mikey mentioned, there is just no chance of keeping the board under me.

Skylar18
03-23-2010, 09:56 AM
My 15 year old switched completely to skating because he felt the falls don't hurt nearly as much, even doing tricks. He also likes how quick it is to jump off the boat, grab the rope and go, then when he falls he doesn't worry about getting back in the board, etc. He makes 4-5 runs, then he is done.

Fman
03-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback, definitely seems like not being in bindings would make the falls a little easier than wakeboarding. Anyone who has wakeboarded has caught and edge, and this does not feel good at all! I almost got a concussion last year, this is why I started wearing a helmet and it makes a huge difference when you hit the water.

saltare inverts
03-23-2010, 11:49 PM
I think Im getting a helmet this year too. Like Mikey said, surface 180s, ollies etc. are quite easy on wakeskate. I landed all of them first try. But i have yet to clear wake. I admit, I ride barefoot and love the freedom.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-24-2010, 10:25 AM
I dont want to drag this off topic but fman I would love to talk about what wakeboard you're riding. Just a guess but I'm thinking you could benefit from something with rolled edges beetween the toes (really helps eliminate faceplants and easier to skate out of sketchy landings). You may or may not have the center spine but these are my two favorite recent features.

I can land on the opposite wake but not clear it...and it's not really a true ollie... But I have not had a real wakeskate either! Hope to fix that this year. Thank you Hyp for the $110 skate, ply with foam.

dusty2221
03-24-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm riding the 2003 CBW Lucky. It's been a decent board, shoes are a must on this thing. I've done some decently big wake to wakes on it, but I could count the # I have landed on one hand. Other than that, surface 3's and ollies are all I can do.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/dusty2221/skate.jpg

Skylar18
03-24-2010, 11:36 AM

Here is my son, jacking around on his skate! How do you guys make the picture bigger in the post.....I can't figure it out.......

87SunSportMikeyD
03-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Skylar you grab the url of the image (right click, properties) then use the icon that looks like a painting in your post. The actual code is (without spaces) [ img ] httdwkand [ / img]

dusty2221
03-24-2010, 04:02 PM
https://forum.supraboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2162&d=1269444791

There you go

Skylar18
03-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks Dusty and Mikey!

Believe it or not I'm an IT guy.....Kinda embarassing.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-24-2010, 05:44 PM
That is LOL Sky! :)

ScottnAz
03-26-2010, 10:06 AM
I've been thinking about picking up a skate to fool around with this year. I got heavy in to surfing before ever really getting out of the beginner stage of wakeboarding, and am setting some new goals this season to either wakeboard more, or put some time in wakeskating. Either way, I plan on picking up a helmet this season.

Any recommendations for a board?

87SunSportMikeyD
03-31-2010, 10:34 AM
I say do whatever makes you happy behind the boat. I like wakeboarding but the falls are getting harder, i'm getting out of shape, and it's tough to make myself keep pushing it.
Surfing I will try anything I can think of and having fun all the time. Learning all the time.

My first skate has been picked out, only $99 with 9-ply kick deck and soft eva pad (still wear shoes usually). This is my local proshop too.

http://www.waterskis.com/Liquid-Force-Faction-Wakeskate-p/liquid_force_faction_skate_09.htm
http://www.waterskis.com/v/vspfiles/photos/options/Liquid_Force_Faction_Skate_09-632-T.jpg

zalamander
04-15-2010, 10:43 AM
My wake buddy picked up a wakeskate last season and we've been playing around on it quite a bit. In my opinion even wrecking at higher speeds trying to do wake to wakes and ollies, it is still easier on the body. You catch an edge and the board is gone... not strapped to your feet causing faceplant/eyepeelers. The best thing about wakeskating IMHO is using it for muscle memory on big scary wakeboard trcks. I learned how to do Air Raileys this way. You can hit big air do the trick and splash down w/out the board and list of injuries that usually can accompany these tricks. I've watched really good wakeskaters around the area, but must face the fact that I'm an old dog and will probably never be as good at wakeskating as wakeboarding.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-15-2010, 10:53 AM
I would Looooove to see a video of that raley hehehe

dusty2221
04-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Found this pic on our old myspace. Think I made it?

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/10/l_ab8e4271dadea6afd36f6d3dedcf5b75.jpg

zalamander
04-16-2010, 10:49 AM
There is actually a really GREAT video series for wakeboarding out there called "The Book"
It is absolutely amazing at walking you through tricks and tells how to pull into wake, stance, and landing for every trick in the book. That is where I got the idea... they suggest the wakeskate for Raileys especially, because the risk of injury.
Sweet... I just went to grab the link, and saw that they have it available for mobile download... no more travel dvd player on the lake.
Check it out... IT IS A MUST HAVE!!!!
http://www.thebookdvd.com/

JoHNI_T
04-22-2010, 06:45 PM
I agree with others, Its tuff doing tricks but is fun to hit the double ups and huck your meat...... but when the board gets ya it gets ya lol.... skaters really like it obviously..

Fman
04-22-2010, 09:27 PM
I say do whatever makes you happy behind the boat. I like wakeboarding but the falls are getting harder, i'm getting out of shape, and it's tough to make myself keep pushing it.
Surfing I will try anything I can think of and having fun all the time. Learning all the time.

My first skate has been picked out, only $99 with 9-ply kick deck and soft eva pad (still wear shoes usually). This is my local proshop too.

http://www.waterskis.com/Liquid-Force-Faction-Wakeskate-p/liquid_force_faction_skate_09.htm
http://www.waterskis.com/v/vspfiles/photos/options/Liquid_Force_Faction_Skate_09-632-T.jpg

Mikey, I bought this same skate, we are going out Sunday and will be giving it a try. I was told on WW it was a good beginner/intermediate board, guess we will find out.

With my body getting older I am considering switching to only surfing this year, and maybe wakeskating. As you mentioned, the falls are hard and my back has been acting up. Surfing is easy on the body but its a little boring in comparison to wakeboarding... but at least it gets you in the water listening to some tunes. Regardless, being out with my kids on the water is what its all about.... I might have to live through there eyes from now on!

Funny thing is I asked my Dad the other day when he stopped slalom skiiing, he said 38 because his back started hurting! Wow, thats kinda funny.... like father like son I guess.

Fman
04-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Found this pic on our old myspace. Think I made it?

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/10/l_ab8e4271dadea6afd36f6d3dedcf5b75.jpg

That kinda makes my back hurt looking at that! Kind of like tonight when I watch the San Jose Sharks playoff game and they get checked into the glass!

GO SHARKS! there is nothing better than NHL playoffs!

Skylar18
04-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Blackhawks fan here.........

We need a goalie.

zalamander
04-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Avs fan here... maybe next year. Soon to be saying that about the Nuggets too.
I love all of the wakeskate pics on here... Let's see some more.

jzelt
04-26-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm no doctor, but I am getting toward that age also (35).
I have been going to the gym more this year and do ab crunches and a back arching and rowing machine.
My lower back was more fatigue and when that started nagging toward end of runs, sucking in the gut would alleviate it while skiing.

Hate seeing people giving up and settling. But I also understand limits that the body can only take...(gave up tubing mostly for that reason)...

zalamander
04-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Haha... tubing is for kids.
I'd rather climb into an industrial size dryer and beat the Sh!t out of myself now days.

MAHARDY8033
05-04-2010, 10:38 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30702980&id=209300028

Hey guys!!! New Member to this forum and a new Supra boat lover!! WakeMikey's pic's and detailed bout info is why I joined and went with Supra!! Thanks Mikey!! I agree that the wakeskate is alot easier on the body when you fall as you have a chance to not go in face planting or driving in backside edge hard!! But as other have said I seem to go up and come down with nothing there! I attend OWC (Orlando Watersports Complex) and doo alot with pro rider Cobe and Tarah Benzel Mikacich! They are married and some of the best coaches on the water! I have rode many boards but after becoming a Obrien dealer I ride the different Boards we sell! But my favorite is the FUSE EVA FOAM TOP 109cm which in riding in this pic! I will share some different pic's and some great crashes! Also as a side note! My poormans wakeskate is a 142 Obrien Demanted wakeboard that I took Grip tape and put it on the binding pads and cut it to size!! Will so pic of this! This is a great training board for new skaters and when you want put bindings and get to shredding with bindings! Grip tape doesn't affect bindings at all!

Thanks for getting this all going!!

Cheers

Newest Supra Member

Brian Mahardy

Local 315 Shredder

MAHARDY8033
05-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Here is a shot from Summer and a pic of my poormans wakeskate! Also the last pic is the board I ride now Obrien FUSE EVA FOAM TOP 109cm!!

Cheers

Brian

87SunSportMikeyD
05-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Hey Brian - Thanks for the props, made my day. When I was looking for a boat it was tough to find actual pics of the wake, or any vids. So I made it my goal to try and document my process. I am so super glad that it has helped other people! Cant wait to bring the stoke this summer.

Very jelous that you get to shred OWC and get coached by the Mikker that is just awesome!! Man, I have been watching him shred for 15 years he is an amazing ambassador for our sport. Just thinking of all the kids he has taught and amazing trips across the world taken - for wakeboarding! Just blows my mind. If you would like, tell him "Hi and thanks" from WakeMikey in MN.

Great to hear you are liking the O'Brien gear. Keep the pics coming and lets see some boat pics!