PDA

View Full Version : Help Crappy Holeshot

mairskin
05-23-2004, 06:52 PM
I hope someone in here can help me. I have a 1994 sunsport with the 5.8 pro boss pcm motor with efi, which I believe is holly projection. The first summer I bought the boat it ran awsome with plenty of pulling power right out of the hole. After the first winterization it wasn't the same anymore. It now lags off the line especiallly when weighted for boarding. It still has the same top end though and does just fine when planed out. One thing I want to replace is the fuel filter but I can,t seem to find one, any sugggestiions? It has two fuel pumps but they seem to be fine, I have replaced the plugs and wires but that didn't help. Also is their a codereader for the computer on my boat? No shop around Reno, NV seems to be able to scan for codes. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Salty87
05-25-2004, 03:12 PM
have you changed out spark plugs, changed the oil, tune-ups, performed maintenance as needed? is your prop dinged? old gas from last year?

can you be more specific of what year it ran good and what year it wasn't running good....this past off-season? how long have you had the boat? is the boat kept in the water?

more info, please

mairskin
05-26-2004, 09:29 AM
I bought the boat in 2000 and it ran good until the summer of 2001. I have changed the plugs several times and change the oil every year. I dont think I can set the timing with the protec ignition. I keep the boat covered in the winter and winterize myself per the pcm manual. Do those injectors in the throttle body go bad? you can watch them spray gas and they seem to be fine. the prop is in perfect shape and I am out of options, I dont have a local boat shop in reno that I trust so I'd rather not get ripped on at a dealer like I have in the past. Oh yeah I also replaced the map sensor, temperature sensor that the computer uses. Any other Suggestions?

05-26-2004, 09:31 AM
Oh yeah also I keep the gas tank full over the winter but treat with sta-bil. anyone know about a fuel filter for this boat/engine?

Salty87
05-26-2004, 11:22 AM
you keep the boat on the water.....when was the last time you had the bottom cleaned or inspected? there could be some growth slowing you down.

i don't have electronic ignition so i can't be of much help there.