PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug boot trick/TEMPO oil pump

Fman
03-23-2010, 11:42 PM
I just changed my oil today in my '08 22V and wanted to pass along a great little setup that makes changing your oil even easier, with no need to run the extended oil drain line out the rear transom drain plug (this is how I used to do it).

Use a sparkplug boot and attach to the end of the plastic tubing you use to attach to the drain outlet on the oil drain line. Then the other end will compress right on the end of the drain line, its that simple and easy. All you need to do is remove the cap off the drain line and attach the spark plug boot and your good to go.

See attached pictures for better reference. Some of you might already be doing this, hopefully it will help a few out to cut down on oil change time.

BTW, the TEMPO pump I used for the first time today and it rocks, it has great suction for the engine and trans oil change with multiple size different tubes, a must have for anyone without one!

tg0824SSVGG
03-24-2010, 08:12 AM
THat's what I do Travis ... (basically) -- but I am still thinking about that Gravity08 setup ...

jet
03-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Why is everyone buying oil pumps and rigging stuff up to change the oil?? I assume my is factory but I have a 2' hose coming out of my oil pan with a plug on the end, when I want to change the oil I just push it through the center drain hole and unplug it and my oil drains out. its a little slower than lets say my car..but I just let it drain for like 10-15 mins and Its done!! Are yall having that much trouble?? And why?? Jet

dusty2221
03-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Not trouble really, But the V-drives dont have the hull drain, we only have one in the transom. Our hose is deisgned to go thru the transom hole, but onto the wake plate.

I'm adding the 12v pump like Gravity's as soon as the damn thing gets here. I ordered it last Wednesday....it ships from Texas...yet it's somehow still not here. I guess they are walking it to me.

jet
03-24-2010, 10:45 AM
OH..i see. thats a newer boat problem..lol. I dont have those issues. Jet

Salty87
03-24-2010, 11:10 AM
i don't have the drain hose. the oil pan sits too close to the hull. skidim told me it wouldn't fit but i bought one anyway, it's gathering dust around the house somewhere because they were right. not enough clearance clarence.

Fman
03-25-2010, 01:59 AM
THat's what I do Travis ... (basically) -- but I am still thinking about that Gravity08 setup ...

Todd, after using this pump I cant see any reason to put an electric oil pump in, this things works great and takes no time at all to hook up. I also like it because it works great for the transmission fluid.

sybrmike
03-25-2010, 03:53 PM
What's the vector Victor?

My Salt has a drain hose on the 454, but it won't reach the center drain plug hole? Gonna put a longer hose on it while the engine's out now. Keep telliing myself I'm glad I've got a direct drive...

Looks like the oil pump for v-drives is a great option.

Fman
03-25-2010, 04:05 PM
What's the vector Victor?

My Salt has a drain hose on the 454, but it won't reach the center drain plug hole? Gonna put a longer hose on it while the engine's out now. Keep telliing myself I'm glad I've got a direct drive...

Looks like the oil pump for v-drives is a great option.

You should try changing your impeller on a Vdrive, especially the CAT ETX motors, not a lot of room behind there!

tg0824SSVGG
03-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Travis,

My pump (like yours) is 10 years old, getting tired - and doesn't work like it did
when new. I have even gotten new hoses for it from the manufacturer 2 times (first time was free).

Given the cost of the pump, versus the cost of the electric one, I think I will go electric.

I agree, if you have the vacuum pump in good shape, stick with it.