PDA

View Full Version : Transmission fluid check question

Fman
03-25-2010, 02:28 AM
When checking your transmission fluid (NOT v-drive), do you rescrew the plunger all the way tight or just place it flush without re-tightening? Of course the owners manual and Indmar manual are both saying two different things, go figure!

chautauquasun
03-29-2010, 01:10 PM
When I check mine on my DD I simply push it back in but do not tighten it. You have to twist the dip stick on mine to tighten it so I figured that may not give you an accurate reading.

tg0824SSVGG
03-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Travis,

Should I tell you (like that tool over on WakeWorld BBS did) to read the manual?

What a goober...

I am also anxious to hear what people say the "real" answer is.

Todd

beast 496
03-29-2010, 06:56 PM
On the Hurth and Velvet drive transmissions, you should check for exact level after running for 30 sec to 1 minute. Push the dipstic in fully or screw dipstick in completely. Check accordingly. The Hurth tranny uses a screw in plug, this can be confusing. Al

Fman
03-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Is it possible to check it cold? or does it have to be checked after running for 30sec to a minute? I got a totally different answer on wakeworld from a guy whos profile says he is a mechanic.

I am a little confused! :confused:

beast 496
03-30-2010, 08:43 AM
you can check cold for a basic fluid check, basically just to see if fluid is present. You should check after running due to fluid in coolers needing to be full. Fluid also increases when hot, overfilling is just as bad as underfilleing due to excessive air in system. This can cause clutch slippage. Al

Fman
03-30-2010, 12:35 PM
you can check cold for a basic fluid check, basically just to see if fluid is present. You should check after running due to fluid in coolers needing to be full. Fluid also increases when hot, overfilling is just as bad as underfilleing due to excessive air in system. This can cause clutch slippage. Al

Currently checking it cold, if I reinsert plunger flush/loose I am right inbetween the full and low mark. Does this sound about right?

chautauquasun
03-30-2010, 12:49 PM
I am by far any kind of expert on this....I would think cold you would want it at the full level because the fluid would have drained back down from the cooler. Maybe after running you would expect to see the level a little lower because you would have fluid in the cooler....but not sure. I typically check mine after warming the engine up. I simply unscrew the dip stick, clean it and push it in and bring it back out.

I believe Al is a mechanic so I would go with whatever he says though.