PDA

View Full Version : Rear Ballast Tank Won't Fill

Justin supra launch ss
03-25-2010, 07:58 PM
I have a 2002 Supra Launch SS. My rear ballast tank will not fill. I took apart the manifold check valve and all of the fittings that go to the ballast pump. Nothing was clogged. The motor runs fine. I put it in a bucket of water and it seemed powerful and pumped as if it was brand new. The hose running to the back tank is not clogged. Does anyone know why it might not be pumping water? Maybe priming? I can take a picture of it and post where it is at and how it is mounted if that would help. Also, it does NOT have sprinkler valves.

jzelt
03-26-2010, 02:00 PM
If you verified you have water coming out the fill hose, my next thought is there is no vent line to allow the bag/air to escape. Possibly unplug the vent/drain side and lift the bag somewhat to release the pressure/seal.

My issue was the drain pump itself was burnt up and replaced it.

Justin supra launch ss
03-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanx for the info. I have actually filled the tank up with a water hose through the vent hose that comes through the side of the boat.. Now the pump is in front of the motor that lays horizontal pointing twords the rear of the boat. There is a 90 comin off the intake pick up then a manual valve then the pump is it possible there is traped air in the 90 and won't let it prime?? I figured the water pressure trying to natrually come in the pick up would push all the air out of the pump and valve ext????

Matt Laird
03-26-2010, 10:09 PM
I had the same issue last year, I had a clog @ the intake on the btm of the boat @ the intake...

jzelt
03-29-2010, 02:31 PM
I have not filled a tank using the pump while the boat wasn't in the water. (ie thru a garden hose).

When I did fill it on the water, I put the boat in gear initially to help pull water into the scoop and prime the pump.

However, I would think there would be sufficient pressure from the hose that would do the same thing.

I also have a filter inline from the scoop to the fill pump. Like Matt said, you may have a leaf or something blocking the scoop on the bottom. Or possibly something in the line between the pump and scoop.

Maybe disconnect the pump, and run the garden hose down the line toward the scoop and make sure water goes outside the boat where the intake would be.