PDA

View Full Version : Optima Batts

ssmith
03-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Had Jim at Viper install a dual batt setup (minus the batts). I'm going with optimas. Would love the Stingers but too pricey for me. Which Optimas would be best? I can get the 34M at Sams club for $159 each. What's your opinions.

jonyb
03-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Have you talked to Jason about the pricing on Stingers that I gave him? It's a lot less then the retail price marked on the website. Also, you wouldn't need to big batteries, just 1 for starting, the other for stereo.

Diggs
03-26-2010, 11:05 AM
I have had nothing but bad luck with optimas on a boat. Especially if you are running a decent stereo system.....

TayTay
03-26-2010, 11:46 AM
I am going to be honest here, and it is kind of sticking my foot in my mouth. I have 2 Optima D34M batteries in my boat. Last year they worked great. Last a long time, started right up all the time. Well this year, I am having some issues. Now this could be because I didn't store them right during winter or something that was MY fault, but I am having problems. I just bought an onboard charger and am going to install that tonight so we will see if that helps. Hopefully they are not shot because they are kind of expensive. jonyb gave me a great deal on the WS-420, I am sure he would have a great deal on the stingers...

(depending on my battery situation, you might be hearing from me, jonyb)

jonyb
03-26-2010, 02:04 PM
There was a thread on WW about the Optima's. Lots of negative press over there. I've been rafted up with several people that had Optima's. They never could last the whole day.

cmtaylor777
03-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Hey Tay....

Let me know how that charger works out for you. I think I need one now that I have 3 amps going. I'm sure you're going to post pics and I'm looking out for them.

ssmith
03-26-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm kinda shocked by the replies to this thread. I thought Optima was definetely a good way to go. I'm going to have to rethink this.

Jon,

Shoot me a PM for the Stingers you think I'd need. One to start and one to run a stereo system that we've talked about me upgrading to at some point or what do you recommend?

saltare inverts
03-26-2010, 10:38 PM
I have a optima in my boat and that same battery came from my last boat. I have had it six years and it wont quit. I love it, its never gone dead and has alot ot jiuce for stereo. I know have one in each of my vehicles. Nothing but good luck here.

Diggs
03-28-2010, 05:38 PM
I think others will know more than me, but I tried to use new ones (optimas)two years in a row back in the past and same result. I was told it was because we typically run a pretty big system and when you run the blue tops dead, like sitting at the beach with the motor off, it is real hard to bring them back to life compared to other batteries. Not sure the validity behind that, but I can tell you both times I tried them, they were dead dead in a year. Maybe Jonyb or someone could explain better..... I have been running deep cycles or Kintek style batteries since and great results.

jonyb
03-28-2010, 05:44 PM
same goes with the Stinger batteries, if you run them dead, it's over. I started using the SBC6A charger/maintainer on mine and have had better results. I also didn't charge mine too often. The good thing is that the Stinger batteries have a 2-year replacement warranty.

Kinetic is also a good battery for stereo's.

Gravity08
03-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Are excide orbital batterys good? I had 2 of them in my truck that I won. I was thinking about getting some for the boat?

Matt Laird
03-28-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm gonna be running 6 optimum D31T batteries in my Supra.. I really hope your wrong JonyB...

I already have em

I have heard bad things about the marine grade so I went with yellow tops & ill be mounting them behind the drivers seat, (rear observer) To keep down the shaking that would be caused by them being up front...

Gravity08
03-28-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm gonna be running 6 optimum D31T batteries in my Supra.. I really hope your wrong JonyB...

I already have em

I have heard bad things about the marine grade so I went with yellow tops & ill be mounting them behind the drivers seat, (rear observer) To keep down the shaking that would be caused by them being up front...

Holy crap! What you planning on running?

Matt Laird
03-28-2010, 07:40 PM
As of right now

5 jl mhd 750/1
2 jl mhd 600/4
4 jl 10w7 in slot loaded boxes
4 pair wet sounds ws-650 coaxals
2 pro 485s

3 shadowcaster S2 underwater leds
14 speaker rings & exc inboat leds

3 Dual bank 40amp chargers
135 amp alternator

Maybe some tower ligts

docdrs
03-28-2010, 07:49 PM
holy @#^$^%*&*^(*&.....lets see some pics of that tower setup your going to need a micro nuc plant to power that

Matt Laird
03-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Here is what she looks like right now.... Cheesy pics w/ I phone

ScottnAz
03-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Batteries have been on my mind this offseason. I'm still running the original Interstate's that came with the boat (05'). I was thinking blue tops until I started following the thread on wakeworld, now I don't know what to do???

Matt Laird
03-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Ya well I have yellow tops in everything else I'm gonna stick with what I know...

I ran 2 yellow tops for 4 yrs in a mc x80...

Gravity08
03-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Well have to make sure we link up at Texoma.

Diggs
03-28-2010, 11:03 PM
matt,
yellow tops and blue tops are the same to my knowledge. The blue tops just have side terminals on them. might be wrong, but i have verified this in the past when i went with them. make sure you look into how to maintain them properly and you should not have issues....

Matt Laird
03-28-2010, 11:36 PM
I have a perco and 3 pro mariner 20 amp dual bank chargers hooked up with a single 110 plug... should be easy to keep charged... Just thinking about an isolater also... not sure if I need them..

jonyb
03-29-2010, 06:12 AM
matt,
yellow tops and blue tops are the same to my knowledge. The blue tops just have side terminals on them. might be wrong, but i have verified this in the past when i went with them. make sure you look into how to maintain them properly and you should not have issues....

Yellow tops have side posts too, and I dont think they're the same.

Good luck Matt, I've seen other people use those batteries and when they've got a big load on them, there's not much reserve time. The rest of the setup looks good though.

TayTay
03-29-2010, 09:48 AM
From the research that I did on optimas the D34M seemed like the best bet. It is a dual purpose deep cylce and sarting battery.

Diggs
03-29-2010, 10:18 AM
I googled it and they are the same. See below:
Optima D34M Blue Top and D34 Yellow Top and D34/78 Yellow Top Batteries: Optima D34 series batteries are powerful deep cycle batteries with dimensions a bit smaller than Group 24. The Optima D34M has standard automotive top posts plus threaded stainless steel studs (also on top) for flat loop connectors. The Optima D34 Yellow Top battery has standard automotive top posts. The Optima D34/78 battery has the same automotive top posts plus GM-style side connectors. The electrical performance of these three Optima deep cycle batteries is identical: The difference in color between yellow and blue top batteries does not denote a performance difference. See specs & delivered price in table below.

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/deep_cycle_battery.html

Matt Laird
03-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Good info Diggs... I stand corrected...

TayTay
03-29-2010, 11:38 AM
You learn something new everyday.

ssmith
03-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Is there a stamped date on the optimas that would indicate a manufacturing date? Someone had said, before you buy to make sure the battery hadn't been just sitting on the shelf for a while....just wondering.

Good link Diggs. Very concise, informative site.

jonyb
03-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Not exactly the same. Just because the general description says the same thing about them doesn't mean they are exactly the same. The blue top is bigger.
Read the specs.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/yellowtop/specs.php
http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/bluetop/specs.php

Since you guys talk about how you've had these for years, I'll pass this on. A customer of mine bought 4 Stinger SP1700's 10 years ago for the trolling motor in his bass boat. They're still in there today, and still work fine. I also just replaced his Father's SP1000 that was in his jon boat for 12 years.

Matt Laird
03-31-2010, 10:33 PM
If/ when i ever get the supra done I will Jam the radio & about 75% on the 5 Optimas and time it... See how many hrs I can get out of them...

Does anyone know hoe to measure the actual amount of amps being pulled By the system?

jet
04-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Come on guys..everstart maxx battery wal-mart $62.00 ea. Its 850 cranking amps and weighs like 80 lbs. You can buy as many as you need. I also had a 3ry old one that went bad so i took it up there to have it pro-rated and buy a new one and she said hear you go..and slid me a brand new one..no charge!! I have been using them for 6-7 years, no charger over the winter and have had 1 go bad on me. How can you argue with that?? dont fall for the most expensive..be smart. Plus where else can you see boobs like this. lol. Jet

sybrmike
04-01-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm with you, ghetto batts have worked fine for me.

BTW - Thanks for that unexpected second taste of breakfast oatmeal in the back of my throat.